Dewormer Rotation

Help Support CattleToday:

bmoore87

Reaction score
I had heard about some resistance to ivomecton wormers before in other areas but had just recently been told by a vet that it was becoming a problem in our area in Iowa. We had always wormed in the spring at turnout and in the fall when we pull with an ivomection wormer but 2 years ago switched the fall to the safeguard to get more coverage on the stomach/intestinal worms and left the spring as ivermectin to take care of lice, mites and some worms. I have been looking for ideas on some products or rotations of products people use to replace these so we don't create resistance to these as well.

Any info would be appreciated.

What I have seen is that some of the generic ivomec products don't work. I have seen guys use the generic Ivomec and the animals still have worms. Then they would use the name brand Ivomec as a follow up and it would do its job. FYI Fecal egg counts were taken after each deworming. Our parasite guy is telling producers not to change dewormers until you start having problems.

muleskinner":35ltcmic said:
What I have seen is that some of the generic ivomec products don't work. I have seen guys use the generic Ivomec and the animals still have worms. Then they would use the name brand Ivomec as a follow up and it would do its job. FYI Fecal egg counts were taken after each deworming. Our parasite guy is telling producers not to change dewormers until you start having problems.

That's what my vet is recommending.

Thanks for the info mule and slick I didn't know that it was more of an issue between generic and name brand ivermectin. Thought the way I was being told it was ivermectin in general.

I was looking into the testing also. When do you tend to do it, what is the process/ cost, and do you only spot treat animals based on if you have one pasture that has them and the next one might not?

Seems like it might be a pretty worth while thing to do.

My vet swears by tubing them! He had me do both tube worm and Ivomec Plus injectable. All on the same day.

slick4591":26jmptwk said:
muleskinner":26jmptwk said:

That's what my vet is recommending.
These men are 100% correct. Rotating dewormers helps worms develop resistance faster.
Do Not change until you start having problems.

when possible use injectable

Thanks, we are planning to switch to this on all cows currently we just do a couple pastures were we think we are having problems with worms when we AI. The rest get poured and wormed in their feed.

Rotating dewormers helps worms develop resistance faster.
Do Not change until you start having problems.

Just curious why they say that would prevent resistance seems like it would just make each one useless as you wear it out. Most of the articles I have read on this specially say rotate your wormers to prevent resistance to any one having time to build up. Like the below from an article I read in cattletoday, I might not be understanding by what they mean in rotation.

season is extended," Parish says. "Rotate the active ingredient in those de-wormers. Some folks get in the bad habit of going to the same place every year and buying the same product because it's

branguscowgirl":2b77tlsh said:
My vet swears by tubing them! He had me do both tube worm and Ivomec Plus injectable. All on the same day.
That right there is the very best way to do it :clap:.

denvermartinfarms":11yiocqy said:
branguscowgirl":11yiocqy said:
I might add, you can not tube the pregnant cows with Dectomax. (At least it is not recommended.) Also, he used about twice the recommended dose.

For the oral worming I use synanthic. Then I either pour or inject along with it. For injectable I use cydectin or dectomax, and for pour on I don't really use anything in particular.

bmoore87":2x3p1u87 said:
Thanks both, I might have to look into drenching as an option.
Most people don't do it because they don't like the extra work. But if you do it you will never have worm problems.

One size doesn't fit all.
Look into 'strategic deworming'.
Far too many of us deworm when it's convenient for US, but not when it's most effective, with regard to animal health or diminishing worm burdens in the cow and in the environment. The BEST time to deworm, and best product to use, will vary somewhat from one area of the country to another. For example: the most effective time to deworm here in KY is June/July - but dang! it's awful hot 'long about then.

The oral drenches - mostly dewormers in the benzimidazole class - provide quick 'kill', but no duration, and most only affect adult worms in the stomach or gut lumen. They have limited, if any effect on migrating or encysted larvae.
The injectibles however, typically have a longer duration of action, and most also kill migrating/encysted/hypobiotic larvae.

It's been pretty well shown that the 'pour-on' formulations have pretty poor performance, with as little as 30% of the 'wormer' actually getting to the desired site of action.
Despite the fact that the generics must have the 'same' concentration of ivermectin, etc., as the name brand product, unbiased trials have shown that most do not have the efficacy of the name-brand product. I used to go on the cheap and buy the generic, but not anymore; if I'm gonna spend $$ and time putting the product in the animals, I'd rather spend a few dollars more and actually kill the worms.

Far too many of us deworm when it's convenient for US, but not when it's most effective, with regard to animal health or diminishing worm burdens in the cow and in the environment. The BEST time to deworm, and best product to use, will vary somewhat from one area of the country to another. For example: the most effective time to deworm here in KY is June/July - but dang! it's awful hot 'long about then.

Haha, agreed Lucky P I know we are guilty of this.

We do the pour on more for the lice and mites than for any worms but it is something we need to move away from.

Oh, me too. I know WHEN I'm supposed to do it. Just rarely get it done, other than when it's convenient.

branguscowgirl":ybfo11hx said:
denvermartinfarms":ybfo11hx said:
branguscowgirl":ybfo11hx said:
I might add, you can not tube the pregnant cows with Dectomax. (At least it is not recommended.) Also, he used about twice the recommended dose.
My mistake, not "Dectomax." I meant Valbazen for Tube worming. :oops:

Lucky_P":xbvqk05c said:
It's been pretty well shown that the 'pour-on' formulations have pretty poor performance, with as little as 30% of the 'wormer' actually getting to the desired site of action. Despite the fact that the generics must have the 'same' concentration of ivermectin, etc., as the name brand product, unbiased trials have shown that most do not have the efficacy of the name-brand product.

Guy I work cattle with buys the cheapest off brand and then puts on a double dose. :nod:

How much of the name-brand products get to the desired site of action, and does this mean name brands are cheaper per head for a good kill ?

I am through with the pour on for worming. Safe guard has worked for my cattle, but I trust

the shot more. I was using the best pour on that the co-op salesmen recommended. It was

a waste of time and money. I bought a 500ml bottle of noromectin from Jefferies. I

give a shot with a little more dosage than they recommend, and it has done a great job.

Latest posts