Deweze style hay beds

Help Support CattleToday:

stocky

Reaction score
I am looking for a Deweze type hay truck to feed 12-20 large round bales per day. I dont want to pay for a new one, I was hoping to find something around 6 or 8 years old but in real good mechanical condition for 10-12 thousand. I have found out I cant touch one for that price. I can drop down to a 15 year old deisel with deweze for 6500, but I am afraid of all kinds of repair expenses. We have always bought a 700-1000 dollar beat up truck and put a bale spear in it because it will get beat to pieces on our hills, anyway. It is hard to justify 15-20 thousand to feed round bales of hay.
Does anyone have any advice on Deweze style beds or any advice on what to look for or what to be careful about? Or what size and kind of truck you need to handle them? I know nothing about them.
Thanks

I've got a DewEze and a Hydrabed, if given a choice I'd rather use the hydrabed anyday. A bit simpler and it's easier to control. The arms are built stronger on the hydrabed but the bed itself is heavier on the DewEze. Both can pick up slop in the pivots and bushings. I bought the hydrabed new, picked up a load of them in KS for a local dealer, saved some change that way. Bought the Deweze on an old beat-up truck this past spring, gave $2500 for the truck and bed, ripped the bed off and put it on one of my old trucks. It's got some wear but it's good for a backup. If you buy a used truck/bed, make sure the pump setup will transfer over to the truck you plan to put it on, the engine-specific hydraulic kits can cost over a grand.

As far as trucks go, both of mine are on duallies, they handle the weight better and are more stable. A single-wheel ton truck would be ideal because they go better in the mud/snow but I like the stability of the dual wheels. Whatever truck you put one on it's going to murder the suspension, I suggest a Ford. I've seen quite a few for sale on ebay and other media, most of them are in SW Missouri or eastern KS. If you decide to get a new one of either make, look into going to the factory and have them install it, could save you a bit in shipping.

The Deweze beds are heavy. Have to agree with Angus Cowman oncw you have had one it would be hard to do without. You can do a lot more with them than unroll hay.

Red Bull Breeder":sxqs4tt7 said:
The Deweze beds are heavy. Have to agree with Angus Cowman oncw you have had one it would be hard to do without. You can do a lot more with them than unroll hay.

my wife says that it is the handiest piece of equip on the farm from moving min feeders to loading heavy objects to picking the gooseneck trailer up when she knocked it off the blocks :lol: she wants the cannonball because you can hook and unhook a gooseneck with out jacking them up or down

next thing she will want an automatic gate opener

My wife feed hay with bale spears on the truck or the tractor, bought the Deweze bed got it on the truck and went to feed hay wife loves it. So handy to have a mini crane on the back of the truck, great for raking hay in a pinch. I no one older guy that rakes all his hay with his truck uses the hay beds hyd. to raise and lower . Just to handy to do without.

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. I am very convinced I need to get one. However, with the crashing of the cattle market the last couple of weeks and the expenses going through the roof, I have decided to keep my eyes open for a bargain, but probably will do without for another year. Thanks and you have given me good info.

I put off getting a bale bed for years, once I broke down and bought one it's the handiest piece of equipment here. Those beds would be the last items to leave this place.

Got you another use for the hay bed, get rid of tail gaters. Friend was feeding a couple of days ago and between farms some guy is really riding his bumper even in a passing lane guy wouldn't pass him just keep riding his a$$ until he started unloading a round bale on the guys hood.

we were at the hospital awhile back and here was this little mini couper taking 2 parking spaces I asked the wife if I could just pic it up with the Dew-eze and put in on the back of the trk

She said that might cause our ins to go up but wouldn't it have been fun to watch that persons face when they came out to get in their car

Angus Cowman":3k4i6byy said:
we were at the hospital awhile back and here was this little mini couper taking 2 parking spaces I asked the wife if I could just pic it up with the Dew-eze and put in on the back of the trk

She said that might cause our ins to go up but wouldn't it have been fun to watch that persons face when they came out to get in their car

Should have just picked it up by hand and put in the parking spaces crosswise.

dun":2khif2h0 said:
Angus Cowman":2khif2h0 said:

We did that to one of our teachers in high school, she had a VW. Except we sat it up on the sidewalk. No wonder she hated me.

dun":3h1zsjfd said:
Angus Cowman":3h1zsjfd said:

I know dun but it was raining out and them trying to figure out how to get it off the back off my truck would have been fun to see

One thing that you might keep in mind when purchasing a piece of equipment. Take a good look at the company and the service that they provide. I read some of the comments in regards to how heavy the hydrabed is vs the DewEze. That is completly false. I have worked for DewEze for 20 years and can tell you that we build these products to last. We also provide top quality service if you should ever need it. If you should ever have any questions regarding a DewEze bed. Please feel free to contact me.

agsalesman":mlm6y7k1 said:
One thing that you might keep in mind when purchasing a piece of equipment. Take a good look at the company and the service that they provide. I read some of the comments in regards to how heavy the hydrabed is vs the DewEze. That is completly false. I have worked for DewEze for 20 years and can tell you that we build these products to last. We also provide top quality service if you should ever need it. If you should ever have any questions regarding a DewEze bed. Please feel free to contact me.

I've dealt with the service departments of both companies, and both of them are excellent. Outstanding companies. I own one of each of these beds and don't stand to gain anything by recommending one over the other. That being said, if I'm going to be using one of the beds to feed with every day, it would be the hydrabed.

You should check out our DewEze 25th anniversary bed this year. very nice!!!!. It will be available in August. I appreciate your thoughts on the Hydrabed. They are also a very good company with good products. We have alot of friends within that company.

Latest posts