Devon AI bull

Help Support CattleToday:

townfarmer

Reaction score
Completed an AI course earlier in the year and just had my first attempt at AI. I attempted on five angus highland cross heifers for my first go. This is the bull that I used below. He's a polled Devon bull from NZ called Tapuwae 635.

tupuwae_635_zps5e07e04e.jpg

I selected this bull for his maternal traits and intend to retain female calves from him. Here's a pic of his dam.

TapuwaeCarnation_635dam_zpsc53c69a5.jpg

The link below has his epd's.

http://abri.une.edu.au/online/cgi-b...56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5C585A5B2659272E20&9=525F52

Fingers crossed I get a couple of calves from this little exercise.

Andrew

The bull looks good... I especially like his mama. Hopefully his daughters take on Grandma's broodiness.

That is not a bad looking bull. His dam looks like an exceptional cow. I hope that you will get some good calves from him.

Backbone Ranch":vb0l8y16 said:
That is not a bad looking bull. His dam looks like an exceptional cow. I hope that you will get some good calves from him.

I haven't seen his dam in person but I've spoken to some breeders who saw her on a devon tour of NZ and they said she was the most impressive cow that they saw on tour.

UG":vb0l8y16 said:
The bull looks good... I especially like his mama. Hopefully his daughters take on Grandma's broodiness.

I'm hoping as well although we normally have 5 bull calves to very heifer calf here for some reason.

Andrew

wbvs58":3r6hp6y9 said:
How did it all go Andrew? They all come in OK and you nailed em?
Ken

Hey Ken,
for the most part things went well. Time will ultimately tell. I borrowed a tank from United cattle breeding services in Allora which was handy. I followed a 10 day synch program. On day 10 they were all riding each other like crazy so I'm assuming the synch worked. There was one heifer that I really struggled to locate the cervix on. Nothing is ever uncomplicated with cattle. I had another heifer that got stuck between two trees just after I put the cidrs in. It was totally bizare. Took a while to get her free and then she was quite sore and tender for a week. I'm not feeling confidant about her chances. I'll do a preg test in a bit on all of them.

Andrew

You've done well Andrew. That one you had trouble on, I bet if you tried her again 15 min later everything would be different again. Sometimes you just need a breather and collect your thoughts. I just did 6 this afternoon, much more than I can handle in one go but things didn't work out as I planned but they all came in together. I was happy, I missed one, she was the 4th and I was getting spent however I did not persevere too long on her as I just put her in for practice as she is an AM carrier and will be going this year. I had a bit of a rest and a cuppa and then did the last two and they were straight forward and I nailed them.
Ken

Latest posts