depressed about farming

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN, If you have your health,your family and they are healthy,food to eat and a rainproof roof over your head count your blessings. I look around when I'm down and figure things could be alot worse. I decided a few years ago that life isn't long enough to let it get you down. I wish you luck in your endeavers and things WILL get better. ;-)

Sometimes the Lord will bestow a blessing of desperation on you. Ask Jesus to share the load. He is always willing able to share your load - if you will let him. Remember, your not alone in this adventure through life.

*Cowgirl*":38wtvnp9 said:
msscamp":38wtvnp9 said:
GMN":38wtvnp9 said:
Do any of you ever get depressed about farming in general?

What are some ways to help with it?

GMN

Yes, but I went out, found a comfortable perch and watched the babies. It always quieted me down, and I could calmly think about stuff and find possible solutions to the problem. Another thing I have found that helps a lot is to go out and groom Legs. Again, the quiet time gives me time to reflect, the act of grooming her is relaxing for me, and her shenanigans always make me laugh. I've found it's hard for me to be depressed while I'm laughing. ;-)
I like to saddle up and go for a gallop, then go ride to where the calves are and watch them.

That works very nicely, too. I hope I will be able to do that again one day soon.

yeah, im tryin to figure out if i want to be frustrated by dumb cattle that get sick, troubled, runts, just plain a$$ dumb, stubborn, retarded, fat, money consuming, sometimes worthless pieces of meat for the rest of my life. but then i think about the good things that make it all worth it and then im like hell yes i want to do it. i guess my point is, you gotta look on the bright side of things and how much it could be worse. make the best outta your situation and things will come through for you. trust me, farming is probably one of the most suckiest jobs you can have. i can recall plenty of times seeing my dad cry over it not raining or all the money it consumes, ect and we've always made it. keep on truckin and things will get better. :D

cattleluvr18":26lx20rz said:
trust me, farming is probably one of the most suckiest jobs you can have.

I heartily disagree with this statement. There is a great sense of personal satisfaction and accomplishment that comes with farming/ranching that is hard to find in a lot of other jobs. When one is ranching/farming one holds the reins, and their knowledge and experience plays a major part in the outcome - that is not true for a lot of off farm jobs. I would rather be working my ass off for myself than doing the same for someone else.

mssscamp you are so right, all my kids have good jobs or are married to someone who has a good job. They know the heartache and the satisfaction of living on a farm. They all wish they could raise their families the way they grew up. I guess it didn't suck to bad!

GMN-
ive been thinking about your post off and on all day today. Some thoughts that came to mind:

venting helps, especially to a non-involved party. this forum is an excellent place to vent.

There is a point every year, usually near the end of winter on a rainy, cold, muddy day when i'm feeding cows in the cold wind and rain when i officially burn out and kick the tractor tire, throw my hands up in the air and scream something to the effect of "this is freaking ridiculous!"
barnie.gif

I think what a moron i am to have chosen to do this for a living. Then a mental picture pops into my head of my friends getting off work, driving their nice automobiles to their nice newly built starter mansion and getting ready to go on a weeklong vacation to the bahamas or somewhere like that. or maybe even mow their one acre of grass or fix the "fence" so the dog cant get out or getting ready to go fishing -i dont have time to fish. i think this will never be me. i will never have nice things or the opportunity to travel. i have too many responsibilities. this exacerbates the problem and i feel overwhelmed. Back in November i lost my grandmother at the age of 94. she was my best friend and i stayed with her her last year to look after her at night. the afternoon of her funeral i had to leave early to come home and feed cows. i went up the road with the front end loader to get some hay. i had a flat tire on the way and had to walk back home, get the other tractor and go get (6) rolls of hay to feed one at a time. The next day my pet cow died of mysterious symptoms. she was old so not really unexpected just kind of strange. over the next few days i lost my other two elderly cows i had been supplementing for the winter. botulism-all three. had just read about it here but never experienced it. i got all the old girls buried and kind of felt like i was starting anew in a sense. then my dads health started deteriorating. he hasnt been able to help much physically since then. he became depressed...then my sister announced she is engaged which should be a great thing but at this point is just another thing for us all to deal with, accept, and then worry about planning and paying for. the next day i had to start bottlefeeding a calf. that same week my engine blew. woo! a chance to spend some money. not. so i start driving my dads old truck but first i have to get a new battery and tire b/c we have a bunch of crap. so i get all that done and get in the truck to go check on the cows and pull up to the gate and stop to open the gate. what the crap!? i said STOP. STOP!!! no brakes... smash right thru the gate. there goes the front grill and one headlight, plus i have to fix the gate. well this trucks not really safe to drive on the road so i went and got my grandmothers car to use for a few weeks. on the way home it sounds like i get shot at. i look around to see whats going on and there is a semi 3 lanes over on the other side of the road and that is the only other vehicle around. apparently it threw a rock at me and busted the windshield. the next day the roll up window fell out... crap. meanwhile back at the ranch i now have 3 bottle babies for three different reasons to take care of, calving is in full swing and ive lost two calves. i have turned the cows in on some rye though so i should have some worryfree days assuming calving goes okay, right? no such luck- the cows bust out and THEY HAVE PLENTY OF GRASS TO EAT!!! they just did it because they were bored. so by this point i'm am livid and right on the edge. i finally got the cows back in and am fixing the fence and while i'm doing that they broke out a different spot on the same fence line but down on the other side of the gate. it was a full moon. this pushes me over the edge. i mean i flat out freaked the heck out. i go tearing out across the pasture on the fourwheeler scattering fencing tools etc as i go full speed ahead and run these cows 900 acres diagonally across the farm, and i mean i am right on their heels too. that was the night i came in, thru down my towel, announced to my father we were selling cows, and wrote the post entitled "i hate cows". all the bull crap we deal with everyday eventually just adds up to one big pile of bull crap. it makes you feel like the suckiest cattleman that ever cattled and on days when you get overwhelmed like that even your very best cow will seem like a cull.

here it is however many months later and i just bought 30 new pairs from my dad. so i am back up to 98 of my own personal cows. yeah i must really hate cows huh? i had my grandmother, my best friend for 27 wonderful years and she was in great health all of that but 2 weeks. i have my dad, alive, to guide me and teach me and he and my mom have been together all this time. i had a back up tractor to feed cows with. my pet cows are in peace and wont have any more winters to endure. no more supplementing retirees. all of my bottle calves have made and it and are thriving. i dwelled on the few calves i lost but what about the 150 live healthy ones i havent had to assist at all? i have back up means of transportation (though still crappy, lol) and the funds to get my engine replaced. i have a strong fence where it once was weak and the health to repair the fence. i have a four wheeler on which to scare the bejeezus out of misbehaven cows. i found all my fencing tools.i have enough cows to sell some and enable us to continue farming another year and not really even miss the ones ive sold. (most of these really did need culling). etc etc. my point is there is a positive to every situation that there is a negative.

what helps? for me-- hearing that others have the same (or worse)troubles as me and can overcome them, helping others, going out and finding a new healthy, live, baby calf that knows what to do and whos mother is accepting of it and capable of raising it. watching them bounce around is what its all about. listening to cows gather up right before dark, watching them graze while the sun sets in the background. seeing the calves that i have saved growing. getting my arm licked while i'm sitting out there on the fourwheeler. learning the lessons i have that my friends will never know. having land that for every burden there may be a blessing. rain. fresh air. family. good health. a future full of inspiration. time. the list goes on...

GMN":wg2ichcj said:
Do any of you ever get depressed about farming in general?

What are some ways to help with it?

GMN
Life is full of choices.

Isn't this just another one?

Depression is a selfish attitude. It affects eveyone around you. So just cut it out. Control yourself.

Sounds easy don't it? :D :D

Beefy":3ttbhxx0 said:
GMN-
ive been thinking about your post off and on all day today. Some thoughts that came to mind:

venting helps, especially to a non-involved party. this forum is an excellent place to vent.

There is a point every year, usually near the end of winter on a rainy, cold, muddy day when i'm feeding cows in the cold wind and rain when i officially burn out and kick the tractor tire, throw my hands up in the air and scream something to the effect of "this is freaking ridiculous!" I think what a moron i am to have chosen to do this for a living. Then a mental picture pops into my head of my friends getting off work, driving their nice automobiles to their nice newly built starter mansion and getting ready to go on a weeklong vacation to the bahamas or somewhere like that. or maybe even mow their one acre of grass or fix the "fence" so the dog cant get out or getting ready to go fishing -i dont have time to fish. i think this will never be me. i will never have nice things or the opportunity to travel. i have too many responsibilities. this exacerbates the problem and i feel overwhelmed. Back in November i lost my grandmother at the age of 94. she was my best friend and i stayed with her her last year to look after her at night. the afternoon of her funeral i had to leave early to come home and feed cows. i went up the road with the front end loader to get some hay. i had a flat tire on the way and had to walk back home, get the other tractor and go get (6) rolls of hay to feed one at a time. The next day my pet cow died of mysterious symptoms. she was old so not really unexpected just kind of strange. over the next few days i lost my other two elderly cows i had been supplementing for the winter. botulism-all three. had just read about it here but never experienced it. i got all the old girls buried and kind of felt like i was starting anew in a sense. then my dads health started deteriorating. he hasnt been able to help much physically since then. he became depressed...then my sister announced she is engaged which should be a great thing but at this point is just another thing for us all to deal with, accept, and then worry about planning and paying for. the next day i had to start bottlefeeding a calf. that same week my engine blew. woo! a chance to spend some money. not. so i start driving my dads old truck but first i have to get a new battery and tire b/c we have a bunch of crap. so i get all that done and get in the truck to go check on the cows and pull up to the gate and stop to open the gate. what the crap!? i said STOP. STOP!!! no brakes... smash right thru the gate. there goes the front grill and one headlight, plus i have to fix the gate. well this trucks not really safe to drive on the road so i went and got my grandmothers car to use for a few weeks. on the way home it sounds like i get shot at. i look around to see whats going on and there is a semi 3 lanes over on the other side of the road and that is the only other vehicle around. apparently it threw a rock at me and busted the windshield. the next day the roll up window fell out... crap. meanwhile back at the ranch i now have 3 bottle babies for three different reasons to take care of, calving is in full swing and ive lost two calves. i have turned the cows in on some rye though so i should have some worryfree days assuming calving goes okay, right? no such luck- the cows bust out and THEY HAVE PLENTY OF GRASS TO EAT!!! they just did it because they were bored. so by this point i'm am livid and right on the edge. i finally got the cows back in and am fixing the fence and while i'm doing that they broke out a different spot on the same fence line but down on the other side of the gate. it was a full moon. this pushes me over the edge. i mean i flat out freaked the heck out. i go tearing out across the pasture on the fourwheeler scattering fencing tools etc as i go full speed ahead and run these cows 900 acres diagonally across the farm, and i mean i am right on their heels too. that was the night i came in, thru down my towel, announced to my father we were selling cows, and wrote the post entitled "i hate cows". all the bull crap we deal with everyday eventually just adds up to one big pile of bull crap. it makes you feel like the suckiest cattleman that ever cattled and on days when you get overwhelmed like that even your very best cow will seem like a cull.

here it is however many months later and i just bought 30 new pairs from my dad. so i am back up to 98 of my own personal cows. yeah i must really hate cows huh? i had my grandmother, my best friend for 27 wonderful years and she was in great health all of that but 2 weeks. i have my dad, alive, to guide me and teach me and he and my mom have been together all this time. i had a back up tractor to feed cows with. my pet cows are in peace and wont have any more winters to endure. no more supplementing retirees. all of my bottle calves have made and it and are thriving. i dwelled on the few calves i lost but what about the 150 live healthy ones i havent had to assist at all? i have back up means of transportation (though still crappy, lol) and the funds to get my engine replaced. i have a strong fence where it once was weak and the health to repair the fence. i have a four wheeler on which to scare the bejeezus out of misbehaven cows. i found all my fencing tools.i have enough cows to sell some and enable us to continue farming another year and not really even miss the ones ive sold. (most of these really did need culling). etc etc. my point is there is a positive to every situation that there is a negative.

what helps? for me-- hearing that others have the same (or worse)troubles as me and can overcome them, helping others, going out and finding a new healthy, live, baby calf that knows what to do and whos mother is accepting of it and capable of raising it. watching them bounce around is what its all about. listening to cows gather up right before dark, watching them graze while the sun sets in the background. seeing the calves that i have saved growing. getting my arm licked while i'm sitting out there on the fourwheeler. learning the lessons i have that my friends will never know. having land that for every burden there may be a blessing. rain. fresh air. family. good health. a future full of inspiration. time. the list goes on...

WOW and double WOW!!

I read that post the day you wrote it, was wondering what it was all about, now I know. Yes these animals can be unpredictable at times, situations arise, but I figure I would much rather be my own boss than ever have to go to town every day, and work for someone else. I stand behind all the decisions I have made here, some turn out good, some not so good, but fact is they are still mine to make.

I thought I was the only one who has raced across a field on the 4 wheeler, screaming like a madwoman, losing the buckets etc... :) :) Guess not-lol, I bet the neighbors get a ear full sometimes.

I enjoyed your post, and you are so right in everything you said.

Take care

Gail

Beefy, you take great photos and tell great stories. You are gifted far beyond ranching. Thanks for puting in to words and photos how most of us feel. :)

It's discouraging to me, to see farms that you'd love to have get sold to have houses planted on it. Losing calves is tough, but for some reason, probably reading other peoples problems, I don't feel so bad. Being here is way better than living in the city or development. It's encouraging to see cars stop along the road to look or hoot at the calves.

Beefy":35qm086w said:
GMN-

Beefy,
I enjoyed reading that. I laughed, I nearly cried, I empathasized, I sympathized, I identified, but mostly I enjoyed it. Thanks for posting.

Beefy":16tanekj said:
GMN-

There is a point every year, usually near the end of winter on a rainy, cold, muddy day when i'm feeding cows in the cold wind and rain when i officially burn out and kick the tractor tire, throw my hands up in the air and scream something to the effect of "this is freaking ridiculous!" I think what a moron i am to have chosen to do this for a living. Then a mental picture pops into my head of my friends getting off work, driving their nice automobiles to their nice newly built starter mansion and getting ready to go on a weeklong vacation to the bahamas or somewhere like that. or maybe even mow their one acre of grass or fix the "fence" so the dog cant get out or getting ready to go fishing -i dont have time to fish. i think this will never be me. i will never have nice things or the opportunity to travel. i have too many responsibilities. this exacerbates the problem and i feel overwhelmed. Back in November i lost my grandmother at the age of 94. she was my best friend and i stayed with her her last year to look after her at night. the afternoon of her funeral i had to leave early to come home and feed cows. i went up the road with the front end loader to get some hay. i had a flat tire on the way and had to walk back home, get the other tractor and go get (6) rolls of hay to feed one at a time. The next day my pet cow died of mysterious symptoms. she was old so not really unexpected just kind of strange. over the next few days i lost my other two elderly cows i had been supplementing for the winter. botulism-all three. had just read about it here but never experienced it. i got all the old girls buried and kind of felt like i was starting anew in a sense. then my dads health started deteriorating. he hasnt been able to help much physically since then. he became depressed...then my sister announced she is engaged which should be a great thing but at this point is just another thing for us all to deal with, accept, and then worry about planning and paying for. the next day i had to start bottlefeeding a calf. that same week my engine blew. woo! a chance to spend some money. not. so i start driving my dads old truck but first i have to get a new battery and tire b/c we have a bunch of crap. so i get all that done and get in the truck to go check on the cows and pull up to the gate and stop to open the gate. what the crap!? i said STOP. STOP!!! no brakes... smash right thru the gate. there goes the front grill and one headlight, plus i have to fix the gate. well this trucks not really safe to drive on the road so i went and got my grandmothers car to use for a few weeks. on the way home it sounds like i get shot at. i look around to see whats going on and there is a semi 3 lanes over on the other side of the road and that is the only other vehicle around. apparently it threw a rock at me and busted the windshield. the next day the roll up window fell out... crap. meanwhile back at the ranch i now have 3 bottle babies for three different reasons to take care of, calving is in full swing and ive lost two calves. i have turned the cows in on some rye though so i should have some worryfree days assuming calving goes okay, right? no such luck- the cows bust out and THEY HAVE PLENTY OF GRASS TO EAT!!! they just did it because they were bored. so by this point i'm am livid and right on the edge. i finally got the cows back in and am fixing the fence and while i'm doing that they broke out a different spot on the same fence line but down on the other side of the gate. it was a full moon. this pushes me over the edge. i mean i flat out freaked the heck out. i go tearing out across the pasture on the fourwheeler scattering fencing tools etc as i go full speed ahead and run these cows 900 acres diagonally across the farm, and i mean i am right on their heels too. that was the night i came in, thru down my towel, announced to my father we were selling cows, and wrote the post entitled "i hate cows". all the bull crap we deal with everyday eventually just adds up to one big pile of bull crap. it makes you feel like the suckiest cattleman that ever cattled and on days when you get overwhelmed like that even your very best cow will seem like a cull.

Excellent post, Beefy! :)

Gail,

This thread has been on my mind. The responses have been good. There are things I'd like to say, but just can't put my finger on the words.

I don't think I get depressed ever, but I do get distraught from time to time, which may be worse than depressed.

Each year we have activities that I look forward to. I think planning for enjoyable activities gives me something positive to focus on. For instance our annual Memorial Day camp-out is upcoming and freinds and family will be coming for an enjoyable 3 day event. The event is dedicated to children in the family. This thing is actually more work than you can imagine. We don't let the women do any cooking or dishwashing although they like to linger around in the mess kitchen ensuring we do everything just right. Although it is a whole lot of work setting up and tearing everything down, plus all the festivities in between, we do it all together and have a really great time. Anyway, I really look forward to it each year. So do most of the family, or else they don't come. This year I have two new grandbabies attending for the first time. Some nephews also have new babies attending for the first time.

There are other events throughout the year that I really enjoy as well. Plan something special and look forward to it.

Secondly, success is not always about lots of nickels in your pocket. Success is achievement in something. For our current social values we associate money with success. I am very successful in growing boysenberries and I take great pride in it. My wife makes excellent jelly and everyone in the family wants a jar because it is as good as what my grandparent's produced. You can't get boysenberry jelly store bought that taste similar.

Finally, I have my failures. I have to get over them. It is not much different than learning to ride a bike when you were a kid. Some of us need training wheels attached for a very long time when it comes to some items :lol:

Beefy":9gp1zgwp said:
GMN-

:shock: :eek:
and i thought i had bad days. :shock: :oops:

If you didn't feel bad sometimes how would you know when you felt good?

Isn't this the way life is suposed to be, with it's ups and downs?

:D :D :D

Latest posts