DELETE

Help Support CattleToday:

2 cows, a calf and a bull.....any reason why he isn't getting them tested so both of you can go on with your lives? Isn't that all you are asking of him? The testing would be a whole lot cheaper than drilling a well and a whole lot less hassle than hauling water everyday to them. Does the guy have any handling facilities and/or could he use yours and just have the vet come out and the neighbor would pay him directly? If this guys paying $1000 a month interest you probably dont want to lose him.

I have to agree with Bez and Ryder. It amazes me that people think that your kindness and generosity has the hint of being weak and easy. I see this more than I want to. Sometimes you have to retaliate...I mean re-educate these people. Generosity and kindness are not always a sign of weakness, they misjudged you. Those with kindness can also be your worst enemy if you push them in a corner. I like to replace the word revenge or retaliation with the word "educating." You are educating them on what happens when you try to use someone and put them at risk with more problems down the road.

I got the impression that you were a kind person who had gone out of her way to help someone after reading your first post. Thought you were being taken advantage of. Then I read your post on Wed. Not sure what to think now. I have to admit that I took offense. You said that being a woman you are particularly sensitive to abuse. You imply that all women feel the same way. I am a woman. I am divorced from a man that was convicted of domestic abuse against me. This same man put me in the hospital after the divorce. I DO NOT allow this to factor into my life. It DOES NOT factor into any business dealings with anyone. Then you go on to say that if you cave on this it will be a lifetime of his male abuse. His being male has nothing to do with it. It sounds like you are saying look at what that mean man is doing to me, a helpless woman. It could just as easy be a woman doing this. It also appears that you are using health problems as an excuse. I can tell you from personal experience, you are not the only one. I don't mean to be harsh but I think you are letting personal issues cloud your judgement. You have not mentioned talking to police or lawyer in all that time. As my grandma would say - sour grapes. Pull your boots up and take care of business. Your neighbor is not living up to your agreement. That needs to be addressed. Contact someone in authority as to your rights.

momanto -- it doesn't sound like your neighbor is living up to what you say the agreement was and you probably got tagged for the full cost of that fence to boot!. But I hope all the stipulations you mentioned (including the testing of cattle, etc.) were specifically included in the written sales contract. If they were not you may have a "he said she said" problem. Also, I'm not a real estate attorney and the rules may vary from state to state, but my understanding (I could be wrong) is that in Texas any agreement in respect of real estate must be in writing in order to be enforceable --- essentially oral amendments or modifications to a contract don't really count. I wonder if there is a similar rule in your state. Knowing exactly where you stand legally will give you some insight as to how to proceed with your neighbor, i.e. is it going to be honey or vinegar, if you know what I mean. I wish you good luck.

momanto, I read only the first few posts when I responded to your problem. I had only read the ones on the first page which didn't include your second response on the second page. If this man has not gone by your pasture rules and you have paid him for the culverts, and he has not followed either one, then this guy is showing you now what the future holds. This is much like the dating scene. You date someone for a lengthy period of time so that each of you get comfortable and each of you takes off the rose colored glasses to see what is actually going on. If this man has ignored your wishes early and has not taken care of what you paid him for, then you need to tighten up the screws. One thing you might have to show him up front is that you mean what you say. This actually can run over into the loan you have provided for him. If you let him slide on these other two problems, then he will start getting slack on the payments or just sending partial payments. I hope you used a legal person to write up the contract and if you didn't, maybe you need to pay a lawyer for a few minutes to see what your steps of action will need to be. Send him a registered letter saying that if he misses a payment by the due date, then (e.g.) 10% will be added to the balance. See what actions can be taken when he skips so many payments. I would not make any idol actions of response. If he doesn't comply, show him that you do take the next step the next day after the dead line. Then he will not start skipping the payments (hopefully).
Each time he is allowed to slide, it will get worse. Let him know you mean business. I hope this doesn't keep you in turmoil. Good luck. Chuckie

I agree with conagher for the most part. But some people just don't understand nice. Ignorance you can fix. Stupid you can't. I'd do what I had to do within the law to get them moved.

Crowderfarms":2vh6mr6q said:
flaboy":2vh6mr6q said:
Crowderfarms":2vh6mr6q said:
Flaboy,
That shiny badge still can work some wonders with a few Folks can't it?
Good post, that might just do the trick for her.

Yes it is. I once had a dog problem. I told the owners they needed to keep their dogs out of my pasture that they were chasing my calves. Their comment was "oh our dogs would never chase your calves". I told them I would bring them their dead dogs to prove if I needed to. I then called a deputy and told him what I had said and was planning to do. He said, if they are chasing your livestock you have a right to protect your stock. He left and went to the people who owned the dogs and I never saw those dogs again.

You're nicer than I am, we lost 4 Calves to a neighbors Dogs, a few years ago, I follow The triple "S" rule now. Dogs have a problem with abductions here. They just evaporate.State Law here says if they're threatening your Stock, shoot em'.

Crowder your the smartest with the 3 S rule, doesnt matter what the law says. Some people don't think when you start making threats a box of 22 shells can wreak havoc on a cow herd over a fifty cent dog.
Also better be real careful people are funny about there pet dog when you go to talkin all tough and bragin over a dead dog .

God created man Sam Colt made em equal

the only thing better than the 3S rule is the 4S rule

Shutup
Shoot
Stay Shutup

i leave out the Shovel part

Arnold Ziffle":26kigoy7 said:
momanto -- it doesn't sound like your neighbor is living up to what you say the agreement was and you probably got tagged for the full cost of that fence to boot!. But I hope all the stipulations you mentioned (including the testing of cattle, etc.) were specifically included in the written sales contract. If they were not you may have a "he said she said" problem. Also, I'm not a real estate attorney and the rules may vary from state to state, but my understanding (I could be wrong) is that in Texas any agreement in respect of real estate must be in writing in order to be enforceable --- essentially oral amendments or modifications to a contract don't really count. I wonder if there is a similar rule in your state. Knowing exactly where you stand legally will give you some insight as to how to proceed with your neighbor, i.e. is it going to be honey or vinegar, if you know what I mean. I wish you good luck.

Sale/lease of land (including anything permanently attached to said land) must be in writing to be enforceable under the Statute of Frauds. Every state has a statute of frauds.

Momanto, I am glad that things are going smooth now. I hope that when he tested the waters, he saw you meant business. You sound a lot like my Mother. She wants to think the best of everyone, and I admire that, but some people don't understand it. But still don't let him disappoint you by not doing what he said he would do. This could be his nature and how he has always treated others and got by with it. No matter how nice you are to him, he may test you and don't take it personally, but hold your ground. It would be nice if you could help him and he help you if you see that it will work out that way. These are the best neighbors to have, but we don't always get what we wish for. All you can do is treat him how you would want to be treated. If that doesn't work, then treat him how he wants to be treated. Keep us informed.

Crowderfarms":1hwt76pn said:
Flaboy,
That shiny badge still can work some wonders with a few Folks can't it?
Good post, that might just do the trick for her.

You're nicer than I am, we lost 4 Calves to a neighbors Dogs, a few years ago, I follow The triple "S" rule now. Dogs have a problem with abductions here. They just evaporate.State Law here says if they're threatening your Stock, shoot em'.[/quote]

Yeah while I agree with you, we got sued some years ago for killing two dogs and wounding another (he was running). Got taken to court, the people were suing for $2500 + for their dogs. The judge asked how we knew it was those dogs and we said because we saw them eating the hind quarters out of one of the calves (we lost 3)and the calf wasn't dead yet. He turned to the plaintiffs lawyer and said "my ruling is your client is to pay these folks $500 per calf for what their dogs did". Then the judge told us we should warn folks once unless the dogs were caught in the act of harming the cattle. Now this was more than 30 years ago so $500/calf was ok by us.

I'm a bit late getting into this thread but let me tell you what I've been dealing with the last few weeks. I have a neighbor who owns land a mile east of me. The property 1/2 mile east is my brother's but he doesn't live anywhere near here so I kinda watch it for him. About a month ago, a cow and calf appeared out in my pasture. I phoned all the neighbors as I suspected it was probably the neighbor to my south east. He never returned my call for 2 weeks though I phoned and talked to his kids 4-5 times. I finally learned from another neighbor that they weren't his. About 2 1/2 weeks ago, my wife was up early one morning and noticed about 20 pairs standing in our yard. I knew that these had to be the neighbors to the east as they were all shapes and sizes and colors. I phoned him and he said he'd send somebody right over. My wife and I chased them out of the yard and back east and left for work.
Let me just say that this neighbor was renting my brother's piece last year and several times I found cattle in my yard, in my hay etc. The worst was the day we came home from dinner out for our anniversary and had 50 pairs standing in the yard. I was up til midnight fixing the fences they had damaged and chasing them back in. I finally hooked my fencer into my brother's fence which helped the problem but about half a dozen of his cattle were out on the road all summer.
Anyway, about a week and a half ago I went to check my brother's pasture and there were about 40 pairs there (none of which were my brother's). So I phoned the guy but I think he has caller ID and he knows I never have anything good to say to him so he wouldn't answer even though the phone was busy when I called back just a few minutes later. So, a couple of days later, I went out to check the cows and I've got a half a dozen of his cows in my pasture. So, I phone my brother and we walk out and start putting them back in. All of a sudden, these two cowboys show up galloping around at full speed and those cows just go nuts and they chase them for about two miles around the pasture before they get them in and while they're at it, they go through my brother's fence like its nothing. So, we go out and patch the fence and the guy promises he will have them out of there the next day. The next night, I go out and they are still there and the morning after, there are calves back in my pasture so I chase them out. Then I phoned the RCMP and complained. The next night, I've got this big (well over 2000 lb) cow in my pasture and she is not backing down from me at all. I hear him rounding up his cows and off she goes and I go back out and fix my fence. Last night, I was checking the cows and that big, mean b*tch of a cow is still out there. She runs like a deer, has no respect for fences and will not herd. I was going to shoot her, but my wife thought we should phone the guy instead and at least tell him she's here. The cow that got into my herd a month ago is still here as well, even though I separated her out and put her back in with his cows. The 2nd time I ran her into the
crown land and she still was back in with my cows the next day. She's pretty ugly but I guess I'll keep her rather than let those yahoos into my pasture with those horses. I figure he owes me a fairly good size tab by now anyway. He has until the weekend to pick up this other cow or she is going for coyote food. I told the RCMP I had this cow and calf and intended to keep her and he said that I could ship her and take out what I figured the guy owed me and send him the rest. If I could get this other big cow out of here, I think that would be better than shooting her because I really don't need a big carcass like that stinking up the place. The water table is too high to bury her plus my time involved. She's in the thick bush and won't herd. Any other ideas?

It would be a lot of hassle, but if they are close to the house, could you ship the one and use the money to pay for a tranquilizer safari for the second one. Get her on the trailer headed for town before she comes to.
This would save you having to deal with the dead animal and also save on fence fixing time. Had a neighbor that shot a bull a few years back when the owner wouldn't keep it in, hauled the carcass to the owners place with a wheel loader- kind of strained neighborhood relations, but the cattle stayed in better after that.

I was thinking that I should shoot her and drop her in the neighbors yard. I'm just not sure how I would pull her out of the bush even if she was just tranquilized. Its pretty thick stuff. That's one of the reasons that herding her is so difficult. I'm just wondering how one goes about shooting the neighbors' cow and dropping it in their yard without getting a reputation as some kind of psychopath. I'm new here so that makes it a bit more difficult.