DELETE

Help Support CattleToday:

i went thur this when i bought this ranch. i gave the leaser 30 days to get his cattle off the land . was trying to be nice . it did not work. i findly told him to get off or i would open the gates and let the cows out he believed me and removed his cows. you cannot be a nice guy.

If it was in the origional agreement I would make him stick to it. You stand a lot more to lose than he does. If nothing else, it shows that you are a person of your word and expect the same from him.

Sounds like you held up your end of the deal. Now it's his turn. We had a renter on one of our places, that was given a 30 day notice. Would'nt budge, finally called him and told him the gates were coming off the next morning. Cattle were gone when we got there. I'd run his cattle to his side. Inform him he'll need to haul some water, and it's no longer your problem in this kind of case, nice guys finish last.

Pen 'em / load 'em / deliver 'em.

To his yard.

Today.

Provide two bales of hay and 10 pounds of grain for him to feed these animals. Give him a bucket for water if necessary.

He now has feed for two days while he finds them a home.

You are the good guy - he is the @ss. Show him this thread if you run into probs.

If he has any honour he will do what is right.

If not - ship the cows and give him the money.

Nuff said.

Bez

Sometimes a typed, professional letter works a lot better than verbal communcation. It lets them know you are serious and not playing games.
If you do send a letter, don't use all capitals when you type it.

Check with a lawyer before you actually turn cows out, or what ever you decide to do. Make sure you cover your backside.

Some people mistake courtesy for weakness.

~

He has put your herd and your very lifestyle at risk by defaulting on the agreement.

Push the cows to his side and lock the gate.

If this incident is an accurate indicator -- you may have issues with the morgage as well, since he has now shown you the true side of his character.

Be prepared--that is your best defense.

that's why i would never sell a little land to anyone. my first farm had three houses in the center of it & i tried to treat them like family. those kind always take kindness for weakness but they will never show any back. god bless

momanto,

There are good suggestions here. Also, you may wish to consider tenant/landlord rules of your county/state. Some require legal notice and eviction procedures. I would certainly begin with a certified letter..return of receipt...of notice to quit. If you unilaterally act don't be surprised if he gets the sheriff to intervine. Not a fun trip. Often with a legal notice you get someone's attention.

A few minutes with an attorney may pave the way without conflict..especially with the residual relationship needed.

I don't know about where you live, but here in Oklahoma there is a law that stands that says if you are boarding other peoples cattle you may charge them a fee of so much per head per day. My brother-in-law is a Police Man and he has had to enforce this law before to people who would not pay. My brother-in-law has told us even if your cattle get into some one elses land after the first day they may start charging you and send you a bill. You might check this out, if he knew he had to pay to keep then there it might make him wish to move them. He has also told us people have shipped others peoples cattles to the sell and told them to go pick there check up at the sell barn. Maybe you may wish to tell your nice neighbor friend this. :lol: Have a nice day.
Greenwillows Wife

Ryder wrote:

Some people mistake courtesy for weakness.

This is true. So, now you have shown the courtesy.

It may be time to take the velvet glove off of the iron fist.

It seems to me that you hold all the cards here Mom Sue.

You hold the land, the cows, the mortgage and just are not exercising the control you have.

You will do what you have to do - but in the end this person(s) are taking advantage of you.

Polite usually works. Sounds like you are my kind of neighbour. When polite does not work - then it is time to get "unpolite".

Stick to your guns.

Best regards,

Bez

Seems sometimes, when you take the Legal route, the renter/ leasee has more rights than the property owner at times. They know that It'll get tied up with the Courts, and they can burn some time.Hopefully you will have an open and shut case if you have to do an Eviction. Better yet, maybe they'll just go on their own, and you can avoid a problem.

Crowderfarms":30wv4rjy said:
Seems sometimes, when you take the Legal route, the renter/ leasee has more rights than the property owner at times. They know that It'll get tied up with the Courts, and they can burn some time.Hopefully you will have an open and shut case if you have to do an Eviction. Better yet, maybe they'll just go on their own, and you can avoid a problem.

I agree with CF here. Here is how I would handle it. I would go over to his place and remind him of your agreement. Don't be confrontational, just tell him "you know we had this agreement and time is running out. I don't want to be a horses_ _s here but you need to move your cattle by _ _ _ _
or I will have to do it myself". I would then call my local Sheriff and ask that he or one of his deputies stop by that you want talk to them about a little problem. When they show up tell them the story, tell them what you have planned and see what he says. If he doesn't balk at your plans you will have law enforcement behind you and are less likely to have problems with any Courts. I have actually had Deputies go over and talk to them and had it is amazing how quick they respond to them. Sometimes the deputies will go over on their own and gently nudge people without being asked.

Crowderfarms":25yoezak said:
Flaboy,
That shiny badge still can work some wonders with a few Folks can't it?
Good post, that might just do the trick for her.

Yes it is. I once had a dog problem. I told the owners they needed to keep their dogs out of my pasture that they were chasing my calves. Their comment was "oh our dogs would never chase your calves". I told them I would bring them their dead dogs to prove if I needed to. I then called a deputy and told him what I had said and was planning to do. He said, if they are chasing your livestock you have a right to protect your stock. He left and went to the people who owned the dogs and I never saw those dogs again.

flaboy":3d7nf3wx said:
Crowderfarms":3d7nf3wx said:
Flaboy,

Yes it is. I once had a dog problem. I told the owners they needed to keep their dogs out of my pasture that they were chasing my calves. Their comment was "oh our dogs would never chase your calves". I told them I would bring them their dead dogs to prove if I needed to. I then called a deputy and told him what I had said and was planning to do. He said, if they are chasing your livestock you have a right to protect your stock. He left and went to the people who owned the dogs and I never saw those dogs again.

You're nicer than I am, we lost 4 Calves to a neighbors Dogs, a few years ago, I follow The triple "S" rule now. Dogs have a problem with abductions here. They just evaporate.State Law here says if they're threatening your Stock, shoot em'.

Crowderfarms":2lzo35zk said:
flaboy":2lzo35zk said:
Crowderfarms":2lzo35zk said:
Flaboy,

You're nicer than I am, we lost 4 Calves to a neighbors Dogs, a few years ago, I follow The triple "S" rule now. Dogs have a problem with abductions here. They just evaporate.State Law here says if they're threatening your Stock, shoot em'.

Yeah, ours is the same way. I guess I'm just an ole softie. I knew it wasn't the dogs fault. Then who do you shoot? :lol:

I would definitely have the Sheriff's office give this fellow a call or a visit. Back last fall we had a heifer get out on a wooded area (about 200 acres) and the owner gave me one day to get her up or he told me that he would shoot her and then he would see me in court. I had already tried to get her up but couldn't so I called the fellow and told him that I would have her up by the weekend. Keep in mind that this was in woods so thick you could barely get through them-there was nothing that this 500 lb heifer was going to hurt but I wanted to get her up as quick as possible. I don't want my cattle running on anybody else period. When I called the guy he told me to have her caught by night fall of the next day or she was gone. There was no way I could take off work that next day-had a special project that couldn't be delayed. I tried to reason with him, to no avail.

Once he got a call from the deputy telling him that we were making a bonafide attempt to get the heifer caught and that it was a Class A felony to shoot someone's livestock he told the deputy to tell me that he would be more than happy to help us if needed. I didn't want his help, have not heard from him since. We got the heifer up two days later.

momanto:

I'm all for getting tough when the need arises, and maybe it's time. But just something to think about, Good Neighbors are Priceless.

Here's how I think I would approach it (without knowing the total circumstances): Ask the neighbor to meet with you, preferably at their place which will seem less threating to them. If he has a wife, asked that she be their as well. Sit down and review the agreement over a cup of coffee or tea. Ensure they understand your concerns. Do as much listening as talking to understand what their issues are and if there is maybe something you can help out with; like give them the name of a local vet for testing, recommend someone to drill the well, etc. They may have personal issues which are delaying their committment. There problems are not your problems, but what are good neighbors for if we cannot help each other out. Close with an agreed to resolution: Contacing the sheriff, Moving the cows yourself, etc. - ask what would they do in this situation.

I always prefer a win-win situation. Sometimes its not possible, but I believe it's always worth a shot. Who knows, this may end of being your best neighbor yet with a little effort.