DELETE

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Rack Rancher":28ye5u1o said:
I was thinking that I should shoot her and drop her in the neighbors yard. I'm just not sure how I would pull her out of the bush even if she was just tranquilized. Its pretty thick stuff. That's one of the reasons that herding her is so difficult. I'm just wondering how one goes about shooting the neighbors' cow and dropping it in their yard without getting a reputation as some kind of psychopath. I'm new here so that makes it a bit more difficult.

Maybe I misread, but I would tread lightly in your situation. Sounds like your brother may have some liability if they are going through his fences.

Maybe I misread, but I would tread lightly in your situation. Sounds like your brother may have some liability if they are going through his fences.

My brother has 2 strand high tensile electric. If he is renting the land out, the person who is renting is supposed to supply the power for the fencer and the fencer. That was clear in their agreement. This year, there are no cattle out there yet so there is no power in the fence. How could this make him liable. We are not free range here. Fences are supposed to be designed to keep your cattle in, not others' cattle out. The problem is that these cattle do not respect the fence and in my opinion, cattle that will not respect a fence are worth nothing except as hamburger.

Listen to Ryder!!! With laws varying from state to state, the last thing you need right now is to run into some sort of legal "snag" with this insensitive jerk!! :x Contact an attorney and see where you stand!!! I sincerely hope things work out for you in the end! Sad when good folks like yourself get taken advantage of by "turds" such as your neighbor! Good luck!! :cboy:

Interestingly enough, when I was talking to the RCMP officer, he had been to this neighbors house on a previous complaint. He drove up to the yard and as usual the cattle were out. When the officer called him on it, the neighbor got quite belligerent. I would think the neighbor will be minding his P's and Q's for the next little while as he has been warned. Canada is not really a very litigious country. People rarely get sued up here unless there is a serious injury or financial loss. As far as the fence thing goes, the neighbor doesn't have a fence on my brother's side of the pasture and has contributed nothing to the upkeep of my brother's fence so I can't see where my brother would be liable for anything.

CRR

Time for some afterdark work.

Rope her - choke her down - load her - drop her 50 miles from home.

"Never seen her neighbour - what's she look like?"

You're gonna' have to handle this one yourself - count on it.

Lawsuit not likely to happen in Manitoba.

Bez

Cattle Rack Rancher":sxk34cg6 said:

My brother has 2 strand high tensile electric. If he is renting the land out, the person who is renting is supposed to supply the power for the fencer and the fencer. That was clear in their agreement. This year, there are no cattle out there yet so there is no power in the fence. How could this make him liable. We are not free range here. Fences are supposed to be designed to keep your cattle in, not others' cattle out. The problem is that these cattle do not respect the fence and in my opinion, cattle that will not respect a fence are worth nothing except as hamburger.

I'm not implying your brother did anything wrong or that he is in any way responsible. I can only relate to fence laws here in Indiana, but the issue of responsibility for fences is not usually clearly divided among the adjoining property owners, but rather assigned to them jointly. Remember the difference between guilty, negligent and liable. Guilty and negligent imply wrongdoing, liable only implies legal responsibility.
An aquaintance locally had the neighbor's half starved cattle come through his fence and across his bean field into another neighbor's 12 acre sweet corn patch. Aquaintance got a bill in the mail, hit the roof, went to an attorney and wound up paying the bill. :( Usually the most guilty pay the least when crap like this happens. :mad:

In Tennessee, if your cattle stay in, but one day they did get out, someone runs over them, it is the person's fault driving the car, they have to pay for the cow. If they get out continuosly, and someone hits the cow , then the owner of the cattle has to pay for the car. Seems destroying personal property of any kind would apply the same. There was a man about ten miles from here, and his cattle stayed out. The man didn't attempt to do anything about it. He might have put them back in the fence, but he didn't put up a fence to keep it from happening again. To make a long story short, the cattle ruined neighbors crops and stayed on their land over a long period of time. The man that owned the cattle went to jail for this problem. I forgot what they charged him with, (the exact name of the charge) but he spent a while in jail. I remember how our neighbor's cattle got out and ate large strips of my Dad's soybeans numerous times. Also got into the corn crop. I would go try to get the cattle out of the field, and the man that owned them would scream at me if one started running. "Don't make those cows run!" Talk about nerve! I guess you could say that to a kid, but I am sure he wouldn't have told my Dad that. The man never offered to pay for the damage they caused. My Dad still talks about the man telling me that.

Well, I heard from the neighbor that the guy is pretty mad at me for calling the RCMP on him. He still hasn't come and picked up his cow. I really would like to have a chat with him about this whole situation just to make him understand exactly what the problem is because he doesn't seem to think there is one. I'd like the opportunity to talk to him about my expenses for running his fencer all last year and my time and materials for fixing fences damaged by his cattle as well as the damage to the grill and the dent in my hood of my truck that I got herding his cattle back into the fence for the umpteenth time last year. Never knew a cow could kick that high. I also should talk to him about the damage to my hay bales and the grass his cows have eaten this spring. As far as solutions go, I always seem to be stuck between the W.W.J.D. thing and doing what it takes to protect my interests. I like Bez's idea but I don't think I can get a rope on her being that she won't come out of the bush and also that lasso work is not really my strong point. I also don't really want to pass off this problem on some other poor, unsuspecting sap. I know this guy has pastures not that far away so if I can load her up, I may just drop her outside of one of those pastures. I guess I'm having trouble justifying spending even more of my time to round up his cows for him but maybe this will be the end of it?

Cattle Rack Rancher":3im9r2et said:
Well, I heard from the neighbor that the guy is pretty mad at me for calling the RCMP on him. He still hasn't come and picked up his cow. I really would like to have a chat with him about this whole situation just to make him understand exactly what the problem is because he doesn't seem to think there is one. I'd like the opportunity to talk to him about my expenses for running his fencer all last year and my time and materials for fixing fences damaged by his cattle as well as the damage to the grill and the dent in my hood of my truck that I got herding his cattle back into the fence for the umpteenth time last year. Never knew a cow could kick that high. I also should talk to him about the damage to my hay bales and the grass his cows have eaten this spring. As far as solutions go, I always seem to be stuck between the W.W.J.D. thing and doing what it takes to protect my interests. I like Bez's idea but I don't think I can get a rope on her being that she won't come out of the bush and also that lasso work is not really my strong point. I also don't really want to pass off this problem on some other poor, unsuspecting sap. I know this guy has pastures not that far away so if I can load her up, I may just drop her outside of one of those pastures. I guess I'm having trouble justifying spending even more of my time to round up his cows for him but maybe this will be the end of it?

I would also tell him that you will give him 2 days upon notification to round up any cows that trespass onto your property or you will charge him x$ per day per head and expenses incurred in the repair of any equipment damaged by his cattle. Send a contract stating such via certified mail stating that upon finding the cows on your property this will constitute acceptance of the terms of the contract. Have all work for repairs done by hired help that way you are not out of time and there is no confusion as to the cost of repairs or him stating that you inflated the cost of repairs.

All ways try to be nice. If that does not work become matter of fact. Don't allow yourself to become angry.

Cattle Rack Rancher":2nwzd9of said:

Cattle Rack ... Check your P.m ...I think you need to talk to our friend Rick about this..

Perhaps you could explain to this old guy exactly what you meant when you wrote:

SOMEWHERE ON ONE OF MY POSTS ON THIS.... EDITED IT, IT DID NOT GO TO THE TOP....

THANKS TO ALL......

Y'ALL DONT NO IT BUT, SOUTHERN THIN-SKINNED, PUSHY, RED NECK MEN ARE THE .........................FILL IN THE BLANKS.
I AM DEEPER SOUTH THAN ANYONE WHO RESONDED. IT GETS HOT DOWN HERE .....AND ADD "HEATHATEFULL" TO THAT DESC.