Deere 4020 Suprise

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl_jenna

Reaction score
OK, I need some ideas!! I'll try to make a long story short here and hope it makes sense!!!. Back when my husband was growing up his dad bought a john deere 4020. Fast forward a ways and it ended up getting sold at auction after his dad was involved in a bad accident. Husband wanted to buy it but just couldnt at the time and lost track of where it went. Ever since we met he has talked about that tractor- I know he had many fond memories of his dad and him together.
Anyway fast forward to present, I FOUND and BOUGHT that very tractor thanks to many hours of searching and my dad helping me match serial numbers. We had it painted and it looks good! Now I need a clever way to give husband this present. I thought about getting a toy 4020, including an envelope with the key to the real one and having our kids present it to him???? Any better ideas? Oh and husband cant even turn a computer on so he wont see this, our kids on the other hand, lets just say its taking a lot of bribes to keep them quiet...LOL :)
THANKS!!
Jenna

Wow thats a awesome story/surprise. I remember my parents playing a tractor joke on my grandpa at Christmas when i was little. He was looking for a tractor i think, and they gave him a toy tractor and a baby bottle with a letter telling him if he feed it and looked after it it might eould one day grow into a big tractor. Its prolly kinda cheesy i know but i think they all got a good laugh out of it. Which i know that situation is different than yours, but it just came to mind so i thought id share. Keep us posted and some pics of the tractor would be nice too.

I think the toy tractor with a wagon attached with the keys in the wagon is a great idea. You could attach a note saying the real one was too big to put under the tree. How are you going to keep it hid until Christmas morning (or whenever you plan on presenting it)?

have a friend drive it up to the house while you and your hubby are gone somewhere and let him see it when yall get home.see if he ask you any questions about it.what you went through finding that tractor is the reason why i wont sell my dads tractor.

Hold the toy tractor in one hand. Hold the key to the real tractor in the other. Tell him to pick one.
Watch the confusion on his face as his mind begins to sort things out.
Or
Give him the toy and have the kids bring in the key. Have them ask him to help them because they can not get their tractor started.
What ever you decide, recored it. This will be priceless until the day you die and after.

Wonderful thing you have done.

Does he already have a tractor? If not, have a friend call him up on Christmas morning with an urgent request that he come over with his tractor to _______________________ (fish a dead cow out of a pond, fix the broken septic line, etc.). It helps if the friend knows he doesn't have a tractor and is wanting one...

If he does have a tractor, see if you can borrow some space in the neighbors' barn for a while, move the current tractor over there and park his dad's old tractor in it's spot with the keys and a story. Set up some sort of camera to record it since you very well can't just follow him around while he's doing his chores. Let him have his moment in peace with your letter; he might get real emotional about it (I know I would).

This is a very (!) thoughtful gift! Kudos to you (and he)!

Just a key in a box.
When he ask you what it means tell him.
He won't be able to talk for a little bit so just leave him alone th soak it in. Maybe hand him a pic when he ask or have it with the key.

This is a very touching and heartfelt it would bring tears to any farmers eyes. You don't need some special way to give it. Just have it at the farm and take him out to it.

If you could find one of the 4020 key rings and put the key on it might be neat. Any way you do it I am sure he will be happy, what a great gift.

Wow - this is great. All are good ideas. However you choose to give the tractor to him, please let us know how he reacts. Would enjoy seeing his expression when he sees the tractor. Good job!!

Get a keychain that you can put a picture of his father in a wrap it up with the key on the chain. Happy holidays

No no no, you send him on a scavenger hunt. Wrap up the first clue Ina box, sending him to the next one, then, after several clues, he arrives at the tractor.. btw, you are one helluva wife! He is darn lucky on several levels it sounds like!

Latest posts