Deer rifle

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I was thinking of checking to make sure the ole smoke pole was still sighted in. Anyone else checked theres yet?

Still pulls a quarter of an inch to the right at 100 yards. Close enough tho to still neck shoot'em!

Black powder gun was right on, still have to check the .308 sometime before the 12th. The wife's new .270 is dead on but she's wanting to shoot it a little more before she hunts with it.

;-)

depends on what you mean by ready. sure the guns are sighted in, but i chickened out ( :oops: ) at the last min to site in my dad's .300 winchester and had my brother do it. i sighted in the .270 and it's ready to go. now all i have to do is actually see an elk to shoot it, with the .300 of course. :)

Agree with Sidney411...rolls coyotes back up the hill so don't think I'll bust the caps...don't know why, but with all the damn deer eating Susie's rose bushes and having to shoo them out of the yard in the morning, I still pack up and go hunting with my "Cronies" two counties away looking to find something better. DMc

Wilson_Cattle_Company
Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:29 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yepp i am ready!!!!! I JUST CHANGED THE OIL IIN MY PICKUP AND SERVICED IT ADDED SOME DIESEL KLEEN TO GIVE IT A LITTLE BOOST ...CHECKED BRUSH GUARD LOOKS STURDY... READY TO GO HUNTIN... LOL
Hey WCC do you hunt deer with your truck? LOL

I checked the little CZ .223 meat stick on Sunday. My father and I share it. Normally I hunt with a TC Contender but I'm waiting on a new scope to come in. That little Czech rifle will have to do for this weekend.

milesvb":2adthse5 said:
I checked the little CZ .223 meat stick on Sunday. My father and I share it. Normally I hunt with a TC Contender but I'm waiting on a new scope to come in. That little Czech rifle will have to do for this weekend.

is that different from anyother .223? is it legal to hunt with?

Hey Miles - What calibur Contender you shoot? Dad had a contender for a while but traded it in on something else last year. I really liked that little gun.

Contenders are a blast. I'm down to 3 frames and only 5-6 barrels anymore. Taken deer, coyotes, badgers, crows, ground squirrels, yotes and j-rabbits with it. Different barrels of course over the years, from .17 Ackley Bee to 44 Mag.

dun

Dad had several too, One was an 18 inch barrel, had to have a special cross draw holster made. I had to hold it on a rest to keep from shooting my foot. :lol: Pretty useless except for target practice.

cowgirl580":uuikdhb6 said:
milesvb":uuikdhb6 said:

is that different from anyother .223? is it legal to hunt with?

The CZ is a miniature Mauser type action and is chambered for .223 Rem.

If it's centerfire it's legal for big game in Texas.

sidney411":2hner1rj said:
Hey Miles - What calibur Contender you shoot? Dad had a contender for a while but traded it in on something else last year. I really liked that little gun.

I use a 6.5X30 JDJ for deer. It's a full length 30-30 case necked down and fireformed. It pushes a 120 gr. 6.5 mm pill about 2500 fps from a 14" barrel.

I've shot a few deer with a .219 Donaldson barrel as well. It's roughly the equivalent of a .223 in a rifle. It's an old wildcat that's based on a shortened 30-30 case. Both barrels shoot less than a minute of angle. The .219 will shoot 1/2 m.o.a. if I'm having a good day.

milesvb":6mat4an2 said:
sidney411":6mat4an2 said:

I use a 6.5X30 JDJ for deer. It's a full length 30-30 case necked down and fireformed. It pushes a 120 gr. 6.5 mm pill about 2500 fps from a 14" barrel.

I've shot a few deer with a .219 Donaldson barrel as well. It's roughly the equivalent of a .223 in a rifle. It's an old wildcat that's based on a shortened 30-30 case. Both barrels shoot less than a minute of angle. The .219 will shoot 1/2 m.o.a. if I'm having a good day.

The .219 happens to be my favorite barrel. Mine's a 20 inch with a bipod and a sling. Serious medicine for coyotes. I had a frind of mine build me a 17 barrel that's only 9 inches. He labeled it "17 X 209 Magnum". I swage down pellet gun pellets to 172 then chamber them and use a shotgun primer for propellent. The starlings don;t seem to care mcuh for it cause they just flop around after I wack them with it.

dun