Decreased appetite and intake: Update

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Well, my 'rescue' doe ate like a horse for the first couple days, now she has really slowed down in her feed intake and appetite. No other signs of sickness, and not completely off her food, just not eating all that much.

My thoughts were along these lines:

a) she was really hungry after being under considerable malnutrition for so long, and after a couple days of eating right she has 'caught up' and doesnt require as much
b) she ate so much she now has a stomach ache (although she's not acting this way)
c) she ate heaps the first couple days cos she figured that was all she might get, now she has realised she gets fed every day she knows its okay to only eat when she's hungry
d) her stomach physically cant take large amounts of food due to prolonged malnutrition

What do you think? Are these reasonable explanations? Or am I missing something?

Any or all of the above. If she doesn;t appear sick, just feed her and let her work it out

What does she look like? Is she as gaunt as when you first got her, or has she filled out some? If so, I would say A. When I got my last bunch of goats, they were thin as rails, ate like horses, and also slowed down after a few days of being fed 3 times a day because they were finally full and it showed. B, and D could also be very valid answers, but I believe C is stretching it a bit - goats are smart, but I'm not sure they are quite that smart! :lol: :lol:

Keren this is my thinking ,being her pedigree( fancy and specially treated) and how she was treated/under treated, when you fed her she went back to her "normal" eating habits and knows that she will get a regular feeding .I am hoping this is it as I have seen it with Holsteins as well..They have been deprived of food, pig out for hours on end and then lay down and sleep for hours without eating ,like 12 hours without food or water and these were milking animals, your Maddie is dry so she is probably rejeuvinating herself and that's a good thing.

She is in good hands and if she looks good and is sleeping I would say she is in a good place finally, BUT you can always get your vet out as she is precious cargo.

Hope all is well and I am cheering for you and Maddie..

Thanks hills,

interesting that you have seen this behaviour before.

I'm not concerned, so I wont be getting the vet, but if I did I would stick her in the car and go to the vets. She absolutely loved hopping in the car and she figured it out pretty quick now you just have to open the door and say hop in maddie, and she gets on the back seat and sits down :lol2:

During the summer and the heat, my dog at times will not eat for a couple of days. Then, it seems that you just can't fill him up. Vet said that it's normal...

Keren":1b9p4faf said:
She absolutely loved hopping in the car and she figured it out pretty quick now you just have to open the door and say hop in maddie, and she gets on the back seat and sits down :lol2:

Keren that is the is sooo incredible :heart: you and Maddie just met and she already trusts you..after all she has been through ,I think she knows that you will take special care of her.. :heart:

Keep me/us posted; and I really am cheering for Maddie and you...That girl deserves the best and you are up for the task.. :nod:

Go Maddie Go :banana:

Well Hills, I found out what she likes to eat ... pellets, lucerne chaff, bran - with 40 ml of rain on top of them! lol I was cleaning out the feeders in the weaner and poddie pens next to hers, hadnt got to her yet, and I heard SLUUURRP, turned around and the goofball is drinking/eating her wet feed :eek: Yuck!

Out of curiosity, have you checked her teeth? The oldest doe we had was about 12 when she started losing teeth and couldn;t chew well and lost condition. Most of the others started that around 10. Just curios

Dun, she's a gummy. I checked when I bought her and basically accepted that I would have to feed her for the rest of her life. Doesnt really bother me as I have an Angora who is 9 or 10 and gummy as well, who needs a bit of TLC, and as I am still at the hobby farm stage I can afford to pamper them a bit. The angora holds her condition well on about 300g of 14% pellets a day, plus free choice wheaten hay.

Keren":12mh8wn6 said:
Yep, she's got good chompers at the back ... they hurt when they chomp your finger :D

I thought about mentioning to keep your fingers out of there. Sharp too, aren;t they?
If she has good grinders she can still ruminate so any feed that she can eat without having to bite it off should keep her in good condition. It's when they start to lose those gnawers that they really go down hill fast.

ha ha ha I generally check back teeth with my fingers, I just find it easier than wrestling with an open mouth when I dont have anyone else to help me. I know from too much experience how sharp they are, and I'm normally careful enough not to get bit. I almost lost the tip of an index finger a few years ago from the back teeth of a steer - I shoved my hand in his mouth at a show when he was choking on a stalk of hay.

Just an update if you're interested ... the appetite has returned ... with a vengence :lol2:

Back to eating like a horse now. Hopefully she keeps it up.

Thursday I am meeting with the woman to talk about getting her certified as a therapy pet.

Keren":2p4zcydj said:
Just an update if you're interested ... the appetite has returned ... with a vengence :lol2:

Back to eating like a horse now. Hopefully she keeps it up.

Thursday I am meeting with the woman to talk about getting her certified as a therapy pet.

Great news Keren ,and yes update please on the latest about being a therapy pet. That would be very cool. :D
Easy too as you know she loves car rides.. ;-)