Dealing with Dogs?

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
What do yall do when there is dogs on your property that could be a threat to your cattle?? Shoot them? Where I live there is a dog "shelter" down the road, that isnt really looked after, and dogs are always roaming around all over. Just today Ive seen 10 different dogs on our property, and shot 3 of them. None of them died. There has been lots of complaints to the county about this shelter before, and we have put in several. The only response from the county we ever get is that we have the right to protect our property, meaning shoot them, and they have the complaint on file. Our county has no Animal Control. I guess that they just want us to kill off the dogs and eliminate the problem on our own?

When we kill the dogs, what do we do with them? Do we just bury them somewhere way in the back and eventually have 20 dogs buried back there? Or does someone come pick them up?

Ive seen what dogs will do to animals when they form a pack, and Im not taking any chances. Should I shoot to kill or just shoot to wound and hope they dont come back?

I would try and shoot (to kill) them somewhere that is out of the way and let the buzzards do the rest.

I say shoot to kill and let Mother Nature do the rest. Varmints have to eat too. Just be careful not to shoot a neighbors prize bird dog. :oops: .

I would shoot them too. It is protecting your livestock in my opinion. I also agree, when in a pack it can get very, very ugly. Here, you aren't legally allowed to shoot a dog, but I would and argue it in court if they were threatening the lives of my livestock. Thats MY supper out there, not theres. 8) We have shot many a coyote.

onthehoof":1irrrvk3 said:
Here, you aren't legally allowed to shoot a dog, but I would and argue it in court if they were threatening the lives of my livestock.

That's whre the 3 S's come in

dun

dun":1jvnq3v8 said:
onthehoof":1jvnq3v8 said:
Here, you aren't legally allowed to shoot a dog, but I would and argue it in court if they were threatening the lives of my livestock.

That's whre the 3 S's come in

dun
ok, stupid question, but dun -what are the 3 S's?

TxCoUnTrYbOy":13zn0eg1 said:
What do yall do when there is dogs on your property that could be a threat to your cattle?? Shoot them? Where I live there is a dog "shelter" down the road, that isnt really looked after, and dogs are always roaming around all over. Just today Ive seen 10 different dogs on our property, and shot 3 of them. None of them died. There has been lots of complaints to the county about this shelter before, and we have put in several. The only response from the county we ever get is that we have the right to protect our property, meaning shoot them, and they have the complaint on file. Our county has no Animal Control. I guess that they just want us to kill off the dogs and eliminate the problem on our own?

When we kill the dogs, what do we do with them? Do we just bury them somewhere way in the back and eventually have 20 dogs buried back there? Or does someone come pick them up?

Ive seen what dogs will do to animals when they form a pack, and Im not taking any chances. Should I shoot to kill or just shoot to wound and hope they dont come back?

Well learn your livestock laws and your rights.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... Bill=HB151

TxCoUnTrYbOy":2b6hsvwf said:
Should I shoot to kill or just shoot to wound and hope they dont come back?

Shoot to kill! It is cruel and inhumane to wound any animal and not finish the job.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":221kskyu said:
Just today Ive seen 10 different dogs on our property, and shot 3 of them. None of them died.

#1) If you are shooting, shoot to kill. Now that you have wounded animals that can't hunt rabbit or anything else, your snoozing calves are going to look kinda tasty. Good job! :shock:

#2) If you have that huge of a problem in your area, I suggest getting ahold of your local DNR, or local Ag office who can recommend someone to do the dirty deeds for a fee.

Shoot to kill. If you don't you may regret it. I've had to shoot several this year that belonged to a neighbor that just couldn't believe that I was serious about killing his dogs for killing calves. He keeps getting more and I keep killing them. Sooner or later he'll get the picture.

ctlbaron":fa7jdzqs said:
Shoot to kill. If you don't you may regret it. I've had to shoot several this year that belonged to a neighbor that just couldn't believe that I was serious about killing his dogs for killing calves. He keeps getting more and I keep killing them. Sooner or later he'll get the picture.
We do the same thing. This guy that lives behind us picks up every stray that is dropped off. I know at one time he had right at 60. The next door neighbor and hubby make them disappear. He gets mad, but oh well, pen them up.

Joy in Texas":257gw70t said:
ctlbaron":257gw70t said:
We do the same thing. This guy that lives behind us picks up every stray that is dropped off. I know at one time he had right at 60. The next door neighbor and hubby make them disappear. He gets mad, but oh well, pen them up.

I know in this county, when someone collects a whole bunch of dogs, the sherrif's dept. comes and destroys them. People complain loud and long enough, the sheriff gets reminded he's elected, and all of a sudden, no more dog problem...for awhile, anyway.

With 60 dogs imagine all of the inbreeding and illness and ticks and fleas and starvation. Good GAWD, 60 dogs...that's a freakin' health hazard if nothing else.

Alice

Alice

Alice":2xgl1z3l said:
Joy in Texas":2xgl1z3l said:
ctlbaron":2xgl1z3l said:

I know in this county, when someone collects a whole bunch of dogs, the sherrif's dept. comes and destroys them. People complain loud and long enough, the sheriff gets reminded he's elected, and all of a sudden, no more dog problem...for awhile, anyway.

With 60 dogs imagine all of the inbreeding and illness and ticks and fleas and starvation. Good GAWD, 60 dogs...that's a freakin' health hazard if nothing else.

Alice

Alice

Again read the state law in Texas you have certain legal recourse other than running your mouth.

Latest posts