Deadly Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Black Coos

Reaction score
After looking at Sporder lively hereford bull, I wish to know from board members, of any deaths that they know for Bulls and the TYPE of bull that was the problem...

Black Coos":qz2piehb said:
After looking at Sporder lively hereford bull, I wish to know from board members, of any deaths that they know for Bulls and the TYPE of bull that was the problem...

Roommate from college killed by a young Holstein bull. Gored right through the heart.

I thought the dairy breeds would come in higest for 2 quick reasons. 1# Closer worked than Beef breeds, 2# So many surplus calves raised on bottles, not cut, and petirized , by some people with not so much experience..

Black Coos said:
I thought the dairy breeds would come in higest for 2 quick reasons. 1# Closer worked than Beef breeds, 2# So many surplus calves raised on bottles, not cut, and petirized , by some people with not so much experience..[/quote]
:shock: most dairymen have more experience than all these backyard/hobby beef producers.
The Jersey bull is supposed to be the meanest of all breeds - according to several bull studs we have visited.

Lots of dairy are sold to bottle people around here, some know more than I every will about bottle calves, other are getting cheap or free animals and have no clue what they are doing...I saw a 18 month old holstien bottle raise Bull a guy I know wanted me to see a few years ago. He walked in to a small pen , waited for me to follow, the bull was large and did not seem to be very happy, I said I will stay out here just the same...Bull was very frisky and nearly knocked the guy down, I warned him and he said he is just a playing. I was amazed to see the guy alive some time later, thought the bull would kill him for sure befor he killed the bull..

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2ex5zpa1 said:
Black Coos":2ex5zpa1 said:
I thought the dairy breeds would come in higest for 2 quick reasons. 1# Closer worked than Beef breeds, 2# So many surplus calves raised on bottles, not cut, and petirized , by some people with not so much experience..[/quote]
:shock: most dairymen have more experience than all these backyard/hobby beef producers.
The Jersey bull is supposed to be the meanest of all breeds - according to several bull studs we have visited.
Gotta agree.....my son in law spent half a day sitting on the limb of a tree with a mean jersey bull underneath the tree, made as hel and no known reason for it....just mean. !!!

About 5 years ago I raised a Jersey bull and as a yearling used him to breed. Sold him right away to a guy I had sold a cow to and told him to use him quick and eat him before he gets mean. I called about a year later and asked how Freddie worked out and the wife answered that he recently almost killed "Grandpa." He liked to mess with Freddie and one day he got between him and a cow and Freddie saw him as competition and beat him up pretty bad. Neighbor came running and saved him. Spent a week in the hospital.

They finally ate Freddie.

Had a couple of ribs busted by a Holstein bull many years ago when I was young and stupid. If there hadn't been another young man there with a manure fork or if the bull hadn't been dehorned I might not be here today.

I work on a big jersey dairy. Jersey bulls are meaner than a junkyard dog but they rarely get the better of anyone because you know right where they stand from the minute you step into the pen.
I've been all over the cattle industry and I can honestly say that some of my closest calls have been with "gentle" bulls that put you at ease. I used to work on a ranch that used hereford, red angus, and red brangus. The angus/brangus bulls would run back and forth and blow a bunch of snot and try to blow past you but more often than not if you were climbing a fence it was because a gentle old white face bull moving one mile an hour had whipped around and was in your face all of a sudden when you didn't expect it.
The safest bull is one that tells you he's chicken**** up front.

I know someone who uses a Jersey bull as a gomer bull. They picked a Jersey because they believe they have one of the strongest libidos of any breed. Don't know if that is true or not but that might have something to do with their temperament

Santas and Duhram Reds":31ouex55 said:
I know someone who uses a Jersey bull as a gomer bull. They picked a Jersey because they believe they have one of the strongest libidos of any breed. Don't know if that is true or not but that might have something to do with their temperament
I have always heard if there was ajersey bull within 10 miles not a female of any species was safe

I have raised several Jersey bulls on a bottle. I have kept a couple of the better quality ones to lease / sell to some of the local dairies who wanted to put them on Holstien heifers. They are pretty much ok until they get about 18 months to 2 years old and then they turn into complete different animals. Kinda like the amazing hulk changed from a man to a beast they change from a beast to a bullasaurus. Yes they do have the libido of a whole herd of bulls rolled into one. When a cow is in heat 5 strand barb wire is only a nuisance for them. Jersey bulls are also VERY fast when ticked off. All bulls look slow but are fast if they want to be but Jersey bulls are turbo charged. It might be their lighter weight and nimbleness.

HOSS":z9b5f1ez said:
I have raised several Jersey bulls on a bottle. I have kept a couple of the better quality ones to lease / sell to some of the local dairies who wanted to put them on Holstien heifers. They are pretty much ok until they get about 18 months to 2 years old and then they turn into complete different animals. Kinda like the amazing hulk changed from a man to a beast they change from a beast to a bullasaurus. Yes they do have the libido of a whole herd of bulls rolled into one. When a cow is in heat 5 strand barb wire is only a nuisance for them. Jersey bulls are also VERY fast when ticked off. All bulls look slow but are fast if they want to be but Jersey bulls are turbo charged. It might be their lighter weight and nimbleness.
And yet with all of the attitude other then being prone to kicking they make good oxen. Most oxen don;t get cut till they're mature.

dun,
Here in the U.S., at least, cattle destined to be oxen are castrated as calves; until they're 5 years old, they're classified as 'working steers' - only after 5 are they considered 'oxen'. Early castration delays closure of growth plates in the bones, hence the increased stature that oxen often attain. Tallest bovine I ever saw was an old SimmentalXBrown Swiss ox that some loggers in north FL brought in to the clinic for some work, back in the early '80s.
I know several ox drovers, and none would risk trying to work with an intact hand-reared bull.

Others have pretty well touched on the problem with bottle-raised bulls. A hand reared bull - whether dairy or beef - will not have the 'healthy' fear or respect of humans that we seen in beef bulls raised on their dam. Their 'flight zone' is minimal, and once the testosterone really gets flowing, they'll regard any human as a potential rival - and the strongest man in the world is no match for 1200-2500 lbs of rage-driven bone and muscle.

But, cattle don't have the market cornered on this. Hand-reared intact male llamas can be especially vicious, and potentially lethal - it's known as 'berserk male' syndrome. Hand reared stallions also tend to be even more rank and dangerous than their dam-raised counterparts.

Lucky_P":tih60y0o said:
dun,
Here in the U.S., at least, cattle destined to be oxen are castrated as calves; until they're 5 years old, they're classified as 'working steers' - only after 5 are they considered 'oxen'. Early castration delays closure of growth plates in the bones, hence the increased stature that oxen often attain. Tallest bovine I ever saw was an old SimmentalXBrown Swiss ox that some loggers in north FL brought in to the clinic for some work, back in the early '80s.
I know several ox drovers, and none would risk trying to work with an intact hand-reared bull.

Others have pretty well touched on the problem with bottle-raised bulls. A hand reared bull - whether dairy or beef - will not have the 'healthy' fear or respect of humans that we seen in beef bulls raised on their dam. Their 'flight zone' is minimal, and once the testosterone really gets flowing, they'll regard any human as a potential rival - and the strongest man in the world is no match for 1200-2500 lbs of rage-driven bone and muscle.

But, cattle don't have the market cornered on this. Hand-reared intact male llamas can be especially vicious, and potentially lethal - it's known as 'berserk male' syndrome. Hand reared stallions also tend to be even more rank and dangerous than their dam-raised counterparts.
Must be a regional thing. Seems that it usaully runs about 50:50 for cutting them before they're a couple of years old. But most are cut by the time they're 5 or so. I always cut my oxen as calves because when they weren;t working I turned them in with the cow herd.

jersey an holstein bulls are 2 of the all time meanest bulls in the world.most all of our holstein bulls where meaner than snott.

I sure learned something new today. Never dreamt dairy bulls would be mean, I had assumed they'd be gentle like the cows. We never trust our beef bulls, like someone previous said it's the gentle ones that kill/hurt you. A few have learned valuable "pipe on the nose" lessons after weaning.
Valerie

Latest posts