Dead spots under hay bales

Help Support CattleToday:

bluegoose 1

Reaction score
I have a question What do you all do after winter about the spots where the hay bales were fed. I tried to plow them today The ground was so soft the wheels just dug in. The left over hay balled up in the plow. I know other people have this problems.Have do I solve it. Thanks for any help

George

hillrancher":38kwij6o said:
I throw a hand full of bermudia seed in them and foret about them.
I'm lazier then that. I just let the existing seed bank take over.

I'll add, If the old hay is very deep I'll run the tedder over it to thin it out but otherwise just leave it to Ma Nature

Pick it up with front loader and put it on the garden. My tomatoe plants get as big as oak trees.

Poundsy":23mpgkis said:
Pick it up with front loader and put it on the garden. My tomatoe plants get as big as oak trees.
My plants are as big as the Empire State Building.

ga.prime":1y0zee8p said:
Poundsy":1y0zee8p said:
My plants are as big as the Empire State Building.
First liar doesn;t stand a chance!

bluegoose 1":26fyypq1 said:
I have a question What do you all do after winter about the spots where the hay bales were fed. I tried to plow them today The ground was so soft the wheels just dug in. The left over hay balled up in the plow. I know other people have this problems.Have do I solve it. Thanks for any help

George

I've always just burned mine. Poor some diesel in the middle and light it. This will also get rid of any twine you might have missed.

What dun said. Don't graze that field first in the spring. If I were to put seed on it would likely be a biennial like Red clover or Sweet clover to provide some cover while your grasses in seed bank really get established.

Most folks just leave them and let the weeds grow.
If you have a lot of time or a lot of residue you can:
1) push the big piles into a wide snow bucket (I have one thats 8' wide)
2) drop it into a manure spreader
3) re apply the wealth

Latest posts