Dead Cow found in field (Photo)

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinCosTan

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I don't know the first thing about cattle, but yesterday I was walking around a pond in a field and came across this dead cow.

6645231025_92d0fe346b_z.jpg

There was no obvious sign of injury to the animal, it looks like it just dropped dead. Has anyone seen anything like this? The fact that it did so near a pond makes me think it might have eaten something poisonous perhaps? Or maybe it had some sort of illness? It looked like it had been there for a couple days, since the body was pretty bloated.

I spend a lot of time hiking, and I've just never seen anything like this so I'm pretty curious. I figured this would be the best place to ask. :)

Oh also, this was in the San Francisco Bay Area, if that means anything.

It could be just about anything....so many diseases and illnesses out there and if left untreated, they may die unfortunately. Our bull got bit by a snake. It could have been something like that. Poor thing.

Well I take it you didn't put the chain round her neck which means her owner did. I can't see where the pond is but I'd say she's been pulled out of it; ie, she drowned.
That can happen for any number of reasons. She may have fallen or got stuck because she was already weak, or she may have had an accident.

dieselbeef":1bjiq34e said:
looks like some trespasser choked it to death with a piece of chain
I figured it stole more chain then it could swim with

I hate that! The only thing worse then finding a dead cow is finding one of your dead cows. I've never seen one commit suiside but I have to think this would be a good way :lol: Sorry. Couldn't help it.

dun":2qbyubo2 said:
dieselbeef":2qbyubo2 said:

:clap: :clap: That is funny.

fevered / sick cattle will go to water, thats why many are found near ponds.

dun":wl3rvxyi said:
dieselbeef":wl3rvxyi said:

dun, you should know what really happened to it since its in the San Fran area.. got fed up with all the fruits & nuts, and tried to hang itself and couldnt.. so it finally drowned itself.

Hahaha, thanks for the replies, guys! I figured it might be unsolvable. At first I was thinking it might have drowned as well, but the entire pond was surrounded by a large muddy area, and the cow didn't have any mud on it at all. The chain is (I guess) from the owner trying to move it with something small before deciding that he needed something bigger to haul it away.

Mike - we got the happiest (gayest?) cows on earth out here! Nothing but rolling grassy hills and sunshine, and no snow or ice either. :D

Gale Seddon":1jbrqrm8 said:
No matter how it died, it's a shame that it hasn't been disposed of properly.
Yeah....it should have been pulled to the back 40 bone yard where all the other animals that died are disposed of.... :p

Regardless of the cause of death, the manner in which the carcass has been handled is decidedly lacking.

Your collective amusement at this offends me – both as a cattle owner and as a human being.

I expected more from people who profess to care for and about their animals.

But gale dead is dead. The animal doesn't care. Im going to go out on a limb and guess that you dont stop and give graveside services for every roadkill you pass.
Only difference is the animal is bigger. With all due respect Gale

Dead cow deserves a higher level of respect than whats in the pic?
Or is the picture just a representation of reality and practicality? I think the latter

Gale Seddon":1oud8hfm said:
Regardless of the cause of death, the manner in which the carcass has been handled is decidedly lacking.

Your collective amusement at this offends me – both as a cattle owner and as a human being.

I expected more from people who profess to care for and about their animals.
The guy is out wandering around on someones elses land. There's a good chance that it was drug out there so the varmints could do the cleanup work. If it was alongside the highway I could see a problem, but out in someones field is perfectly acceptable. We drag ours back to a section in the woods. If anyone came upon them then they're trespassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts