Dead Cow found in field (Photo)

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll stick my neck out here. I do not practice cruel and unsusal punishment to animals but when a big ol cow dies what is one expected to do? With my limited resources, I would hook a chain around its neck, drag it over the hill, and throw a sack of lime on it. I'm not going to bury it. Its really not cruel or done out of disrespect, it just is what it is. Others are able to handle the dead ones however its practical but to hook a chain to them is not abuse. The fact is kite string may break. I'm certain that the farmer was on his way back to drag it off to its resting place.

SinCosTan":2c2jvu2a said:
Hey everyone! I don't know the first thing about cattle, but yesterday I was walking around a pond in a field and came across this dead cow.

6645231025_92d0fe346b_z.jpg

There was no obvious sign of injury to the animal, it looks like it just dropped dead. Has anyone seen anything like this? The fact that it did so near a pond makes me think it might have eaten something poisonous perhaps? Or maybe it had some sort of illness? It looked like it had been there for a couple days, since the body was pretty bloated.

I spend a lot of time hiking, and I've just never seen anything like this so I'm pretty curious. I figured this would be the best place to ask. :)

Oh also, this was in the San Francisco Bay Area, if that means anything.
I think that they hooked the calf puller to the wrong animal.

Here's my quick take on it . . . cow died unexpectedly and the owner was quite distraught, and maybe didn't have a back-hoe or similar to bury it. Because . . . . why would he/she not remove that nice, big heavy chain, and leave it out there for any walker/jogger to walk off with? My hubby would calve himself if I didn't get that chain back to the barn (fortunately, we don't get joggers/walkers out here)!!

None of this matters because its not our cow not our land and the cow is still dead no matter what

the nice chain around the cows neck should be your first clue that someone is not thru disposing of the animal. so settle down. and the cow didnt drown, it was clearly laying on its side that is facing up now for some period of time before it was dragged to its current locale.

on a sidenote, i usually prefer to drag one by its feet (if accessible) with a chain if i can rather than hooking to its neck. am i the only one that does it that way?

I see what happened now. The chain was hooked wrong and it's stuck. Hit it between two hammers- be sure and wear safety glasses- and it'll break right aloose!

None of you cattle experts got it right. Any of you remember the cattle mutiletion stores of the 70's? Well seems their back and roped this one with a chain but forgot that they couldn't get to much altitude without a longer chain.

Men see one thing ladies see another, that's the way it is, and will be. She would bury and maybe add flowers and a cross. He would hook to a tractor and feed the buzzards. I just heard on the radio today that a study just completed in England concluded that women and men are different, WOW!!!!! Bet you didn't know that. However, there was a woman in the group that disagreed. Remember, common sense ain't common anymore.

hooknline":337iwvw1 said:
But gale dead is dead. The animal doesn't care. Im going to go out on a limb and guess that you dont stop and give graveside services for every roadkill you pass.
Only difference is the animal is bigger. With all due respect Gale
:nod: I that sums it up. Dead is dead, they ain't pets.

Beefy":2ji4jmyz said:
the nice chain around the cows neck should be your first clue that someone is not thru disposing of the animal. so settle down. and the cow didnt drown, it was clearly laying on its side that is facing up now for some period of time before it was dragged to its current locale.

on a sidenote, i usually prefer to drag one by its feet (if accessible) with a chain if i can rather than hooking to its neck. am i the only one that does it that way?
I usually drag them by what ever part looks like it will stay on the cow the longest . I do drag deer by the head . If you pull them by the feet your pulling against the way the hair grows . More friction .

Beefy":nnuortj7 said:

I usually drag them by what ever part looks like it will stay on the cow the longest . I do drag deer by the head . If you pull them by the feet your pulling against the way the hair grows . More friction .

You can chain a live cow by the neck and pull her up a cliff with negligible risk of injuring her. The same can't be said of hooking her by the hips or limbs.
If she's dead, doesn't matter so much. But provided the head and neck are accessible I always hook the chain exactly as pictured.
Welfare friendly probably not, but a rescue by chain and tractor is always better than a slow death. The scrapes heal.
Where death is accorded all due respect her photo wouldn't have been posted here. And none of us would have clicked the thread title.

beefy it's actually the high sheen on the cow's side that made me presume she'd been in the water. Lying in mud/wet grass would have done the same thing though, or twisting over after the tractor started pulling.

Let's get this done with: "Bless the owner that had to drag the dead cow, whose cause of death is (unfortunately) unknown (but a dead cow is not a good thing), and that her bovine soul goes to cow heaven, the coyotes take care of the carcass so there is no inquiry by EPA about an unburied carcass, and the owner gets his chain back, and he/she doesn't have to deal with that shyt again (in the near future). Amen."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts