Dead calf!

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Just found a 2 week old calf dead in the pasture with intestines out and eyes gone from buzzards. She was totally fine yesterday, nursing and running around. :bang:

Red Bull Breeder said:
Buzzards don't get two week old calves unless they are sick. Some besides the buzzards killed the calf.
That's what I was thinking but honestly it was nursing yesterday and acted & looked fine. Obviously I missed something. There were no marks on its neck from a possible dog kill. What could make it's intestines pop out like that?

Son of Butch said:
Not a cougar, no cougars in the area. Farm is 9 miles NE of downtown Nashville Tn. Next to golf course. Owners stupid brother got a new pit bull about 4 months ago. If I find out he did it I'm going to kill him!

I had a friend who used to be employed by farmers who were losing livestock. He used to camp there for a week and shoot whatever it was in the act. Every farmer had their theories what it was. He said 9 times out of ten it was the farmers own dog which came as a huge shock to them. The rest was next doors dog or close by. I'm thinking everything is pointing to that pit bull.

Farm owner said he talked to his brother and the brother said the dog isn't allowed down where the cattle are and it wasn't him. The brother has lied more than once about things in the past so I don't believe him. Owner said could it be a bald eagle? There are two that frequent the area. I don't know much about bald eagles but I'm betting it's the dog over the eagle.

Redgully said:
I had a friend who used to be employed by farmers who were losing livestock. He used to camp there for a week and shoot whatever it was in the act. Every farmer had their theories what it was. He said 9 times out of ten it was the farmers own dog which came as a huge shock to them. The rest was next doors dog or close by. I'm thinking everything is pointing to that pit bull.
Could be a werewolf.
I shot a werewolf once... but it turned back into neighbor's dog before I could document it. :)

Sometimes its an awkward situation. My cousin who is a good mate got a dog for pig hunting. Taught it to kill, not just catch. He then lost interest and we all knew it was killing livestock. I chased it out our place twice and never said a word to anyone. Luckily and by some miracle the dog disappeared. We all (except one of us) believe it was stolen!

tncattle said:
Just found a 2 week old calf dead in the pasture with intestines out and eyes gone from buzzards. She was totally fine yesterday, nursing and running around. :bang:

Healthy calf end up dead and buzzards showing up to the buffet say dog to me.
Dog kills for fun leaving the meal for second and third parties to take the blame.

Dogs generally maul an animal really bad in the process of killing them. Unless the calf was chewed up pretty bad I'd consider another avenue. 2week old calves can be healthy one minute, dead of bloat the next. Lots of possibilities..