Dead calf!

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver said:
Dogs generally maul an animal really bad in the process of killing them. Unless the calf was chewed up pretty bad I'd consider another avenue. 2week old calves can be healthy one minute, dead of bloat the next. Lots of possibilities..

It is true they usually take the neck apart but they also like to drag the intestines out and spread them around.

Redgully said:
Silver said:
Dogs generally maul an animal really bad in the process of killing them. Unless the calf was chewed up pretty bad I'd consider another avenue. 2week old calves can be healthy one minute, dead of bloat the next. Lots of possibilities..

It is true they usually take the neck apart but they also like to drag the intestines out and spread them around.

Yes they will, plus ripped up noses, ears, tails etc. Dogs aren't good at killing, they like to grab whatever is close at hand and rip away at it. Almost always a mess, and an obvious one at that.

Silver said:
Redgully said:
Silver said:

Yes they will, plus ripped up noses, ears, tails etc. Dogs aren't good at killing, they like to grab whatever is close at hand and rip away at it. Almost always a mess, and an obvious one at that.
That's been my limited experience with dog mauled calves as well. Cuts on the shanks too and bloody tails.
The evidence left depends a lot on the size of the dogs.

Silver said:
Redgully said:
Silver said:

Just a lot ifs, and if it was a dog, it probably was dogs and they'll be back.

True Grit Farms said:
Silver said:
Redgully said:

And unfortunately this property is close to lots of homes with lots of potential suspects. A really cool set up to find this much land in such proximity to an urban environment.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
True Grit Farms said:
Silver said:

And unfortunately this property is close to lots of homes with lots of potential suspects. A really cool set up to find this much land in such proximity to an urban environment.

Add people add problems.

True Grit Farms said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
True Grit Farms said:

Add people add problems.

Properly baited an 8x4 hog trap will catch all kind of critters.

tncattle said:
There were no marks on its neck from a possible dog kill. What could make it's intestines pop out like that?
Spose it's too late to skin it? If you can check for any marks/hemorrhaging under the skin. Predator attack must leave marks after a kill.
Could she have injured herself on something...fence, implement etc? Any cows with horns?
If this was a dog/canine attack you would see signs.

Could be a number of things. Some pneumonias/respiratory diseases can take them pretty quickly though I haven't seen or heard of those issues quite yet this year. Not to bring up a touchy subject for some, but I have also heard that sometimes during calving a larger calf may be injured internally and appear ok then die later due to the internal injury.
If it was a predatory loss which I think that is a good possibility, I doubt buzzards or eagles were the culprits with that age calf, a newborn would certainly be a target for them.
Like others have said dogs are always a real possibility but usually there is a bloody mauled up mess and a likelihood of more than one victim. Coyotes would be very high on my suspect list, as they have pretty much eliminated the roaming dog issues here in recent years. Usually they will eat a lot of the carcass then come back until its gone if it isn't moved. Cows may have heard the commotion and ran them off before they had a chance.
The neighboring dog though could be the cause too, in my opinion saying a dog isn't allowed somewhere is useless unless there is a barrier to prevent them from going under over through the fence or gate. If the dog is loose and not checked on frequently especially overnight they have no idea what he is doing or where he is. My dogs aren't allowed out in the pasture either but that doesn't mean they don't go out there. Do the other cattle act different, dogs or predators running them can be stressful and dangerous to them? They can get sick from being run especially in hot weather wouldn't take much. Anyways sorry about the loss of a calf that is bad no matter what the cause.

tncattle said:
Farm owner said he talked to his brother and the brother said the dog isn't allowed down where the cattle are and it wasn't him. The brother has lied more than once about things in the past so I don't believe him. Owner said could it be a bald eagle? There are two that frequent the area. I don't know much about bald eagles but I'm betting it's the dog over the eagle.
I will promise you that it wasn't a bald eagle kill. They will eat on it but they won't kill it.

We have had a considerably number of 2-4 week old calves in this area get sick this spring. I had one last Saturday. 1 shot of Excede and it was ok the next day.

Latest posts