dckhead bull!

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
So yesterday I wanted to get an early start to bring an old bale wagon to the auction,... Instead I wake up to a text from my neighbor
"I think you have a cow out here.. I think it's the bull"

Just great, and yes, sure enough, my bull is at her fence, her ram snorting at him and pushing the fence (he was well behaved though)... So I go home, close the gates I need to close, open the ones that need to be open, go back and can't find him.. go further up the road, and I see his tracks... was over a mile, then I look closely, his tracks were homeward bound, go home, he's standing at my gate bellering at the cows.. I move him on and get him locked up a little ways off.. and finally get off to Kamloops.
When I get home, yeah, sure enough, he'd gotten out of the pen I put him in (the fence there is in horrid shape, so no surprise)... so I put my heifers in with a group of cows, everyone gets excited, heifers jumping up and down the nice manure pile, and put the bull in the heifers old pen... So far so good!

I have no idea how he got to the place a mile north of us, there's some serious rough ground to cover there!... Also strange how a 2400 lb animal can hide and sneak in behind you... At least he's pretty cooperative when I suggest to him where he should go!

I hate dealing with bulls.
Mine came up missing and no sign of where he got out.
I was driving around looking for him or tracks and my neighbor comes along and said his hired hand saw him in his pasture. It about dark a I have to work the next day so I tell him I'll get him the next day after work.
The next afternoon he's not where my neighbor said he was.
I find him in the next pasture south.
The cows he's in with are in heat and he's not interested in leaving.
It took lots of persuasion but I got him out and in my neighbors pasture and and trying to get him to the gate to my place. By now he's hot and pizzed. I'm running thin on patience and wishing I had a horse and rope and choke that SOB.
Finally get him home and penned.
I give him water but it's late and screw him he can go hungry for the night. I'll feed him the next morning.
I go check him the next morning and during the night he apparently tried to jump the gate and busted the latch on the gate.
This is the last year with him. As soon as he completes his job he gets to ride to town.

Mine is with the cows until calving time, so I only have to keep him separated about 2-3 months.. In his case I think he just scratches his itches until something breaks, I had a crappy battery on my solar fencer, pretty much only ran well in the daytime.. guess he figured that out.. In a week he'll be with the cows again and happy