Day old bull calf Angus mom and White Galloway Dad

Help Support CattleToday:

chester1977

Reaction score
BullCalfbornJune72013.jpg

Bull calf of Angus bred to a Galloway Bull.

I was expecting maybe a more smokey color. He is doing well and strong.

Thanks Ala,
I looked up white park cause I did't know WG had black points. Duh for me.

Chester, can you post a pic of the bull?

White galloway, British White and White Park don't have a diluter gene so you will never get a smokey calf out of them, unless you are breeding them to a Charolais or Charolais cross.

The bull is my brothers. He has a herd of white galloways. Holsingerhomeplacefarms.com

I bred him to my few animals last fall. 2 Angus and 2 Herefords, only one calf of mine has hit the ground, so I don't know if all of the crosses will take his features. He has many many calves out of that bull, but were all bread to White Galloways.

cmf1 said:
Thanks Ala,
I looked up white park cause I did't know WG had black points. Duh for me.
White Galloways are "supposed" to have dark points (black, red, or dun)

Due to their being whitebred shorthorn in the white Galloway background, the points wil fade to non existence. You will get a Homozygous white if you use white on white for generations. Most white Galloway breeders through a solid colored (true Galloway) in the mix once in awhile to keep the dark points.

Here is the second bull calf, this one from a Hereford mom. Not the mom in the picture. The white Galloway must have a super dominate gene.

I am looking at this pic on an iPhone so I can't enlarge it very well, but does that second calf have a "white face"? The 1st one appears to have some color on its head the second one doesn't. But maybe it's just me.

Latest posts