Daughter's herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Boot Jack Bulls

Reaction score
This is the herd I have assembled so far for my daughter. The middle one pictured is Carrousel Roxy, a 13 year old pb Limi daughter of Wulfs Fanfare. To the right is her daughter, Boot Jack Camaro, a 4 year old pb Limi sired by my Titan bull. The one on the left is JFCC Judy, a yearling pb Red Angus sired by my Silverado bull. All three came in for a rare snack before getting turned in with a lim-flex bull. I think for a 4 year-old, my daughter has quite a nice herd started!

ALACOWMAN":bo9gy097 said:
Hope she don't sell em , and blow it all at Walmart..
Luckily, I don't think that will ever be an issue! She also has two good rope horses (albeit old ones!), a pair of Boer goats and has laid claim to one of my cattle dogs. She wants to get some chickens next. She spends more time with her stock than most adults who earn a living at farming! I always joke she is my little future NALF board president!

Boot Jack Bulls":22vheap4 said:
She spends more time with her stock than most adults who earn a living at farming!
I always joke she is my little future NALF board president!
Having had everything handed to her, she'll probably grow up to be P.E.T.A. fundraiser for life. :banana:

Son of Butch":xp3ah8a6 said:
Boot Jack Bulls":xp3ah8a6 said:
She spends more time with her stock than most adults who earn a living at farming!
Having had everything handed to her, she'll probably grow up to be P.E.T.A. fundraiser for life. :banana:

Then I guess he needs to send her out to get a job to pay him for those animals.

greatgerts":wmn7eal1 said:
Son of Butch":wmn7eal1 said:
Boot Jack Bulls":wmn7eal1 said:

Then I guess he needs to send her out to get a job to pay him for those animals.
Not sure if you all are joking or not, but to clear up a couple of things.... She is four, those pictures were all taken in the last six months. If you can't tell from them that she earns her stock, I can't help you.

Boot Jack Bulls":1tmkvur0 said:
greatgerts":1tmkvur0 said:
Son of Butch":1tmkvur0 said:

Not sure if you all are joking or not, but to clear up a couple of things.... She is four, those pictures were all taken in the last six months. If you can't tell from them that she earns her stock, I can't help you.

I have grand kids that haven't taken any interest in the cows so far, but if and when they do I'll make sure they have an animal of their own as long as they stay with the program.

I think you are doing a good job, with, and for her. At 4 there are some things that a parent is supposed to help them with. Getting started with a couple of cows is one that I admire. I like that you aren't spending thousands on a "show animal" that will get sold for a crazy high price and not teaching her anything about the realities of farming. I am assuming that she realizes that some get eaten, and that some die. a 13 yr old cow is one that will have to be culled sooner rather than later, maybe for non breeding. I think that you are giving her a start while I don't think you are sugar coating what life is all about. If she has to help take care of them, and sees the day to day of it, then you are giving her a priceless part of yourself and a life she should always respect.

Buying her or letting her inherit a good cow, or a roping horse or something is alot better than the electronic crap that the kids are all so "into" nowadays. I am sure that you will teach her the money aspect of it and maybe even make her "contibute" to their room and board; by making her pay with a steer calf sold, or totaling her "work" as part payment for their upkeep. There are alot of ways to teach a child that things are not free and still give them a healthy start to their own future.

As long as my kid keeps it up, the purpose of my existence is to help her get to where she wants to go. I'd like for her to have the opportunity to be successful from a young age, and I'd like for her to define what that success is....not fall in line with popular opinion.
Nothing wrong with giving a kid a start. My dad gave me the gift of a strong work ethic, and I'm also blessed that my father in law gave me a $10k equipment upgrade for Christmas nearly 15 years ago. Both of those gifts set us on a path to what I see as success.

Boot Jack Bulls":1pbsc2c1 said:
greatgerts":1pbsc2c1 said:
Son of Butch":1pbsc2c1 said:

my post was kidding for sure...I think y'all are doing great...bringing her up right..

Boot Jack Bulls":1m5tss5a said:
ALACOWMAN":1m5tss5a said:
Hope she don't sell em , and blow it all at Walmart..
She also...... has laid claim to one of my cattle dogs.

Well it does appear she's into rescuing dogs that she must think is from an unfit owner. :)
P.E.T.A. could be in her future when she sets them all free.

Just bustin' your chops a little... 4 year olds can do no wrong.

Thanks for all the comments! As most of you can tell, this little lady is my world and I'm am beyond blessed that she loves her livestock. I will do whatever I can to ensure she becomes a confident, well rounded woman. She is more help than most can fathom of some one her age. If I move stock, she is on horseback helping. She has her own small pails to use at feeding time. She follows the goats on the chariot to keep them moving lap after lap. She has been in the barn every day since she was about a week old. My parents gave me similar stock to start with, and I am happy to give her this starter herd. Again, thanks for all your insightful and kind words!

Great way to start her off. Get them hooked young and they will stay with it for life.

very nice.

my 5 yr olds cow just had a calf so he has 2 now.. my 3 year old has a heifer now.

ALACOWMAN":3hhn61u4 said:
Boot Jack Bulls":3hhn61u4 said:
greatgerts":3hhn61u4 said:
my post was kidding for sure...I think y'all are doing great...bringing her up right..

I know you were. My 4 year old twins have their own herd started as well. Last year they got a bred heifer and an open heifer each. Both bred heifers had heifers of their own. One had a hernia. We did surgery on that to repair it. A couple hundred dollars didn't seem bad to spend on my kid. She lasted about a week after surgery. Fluid kept building up at the site, and we were diligent in draining it, but something else must've been wrong. The other heifer, at about 4 months old, got bloated on us. Got her back down, but it would come back. Vet saw her 3 times before we took her to the university for them to look at her. They did not find any specific reason during their exploratory surgery, but seemed to be doing ok. She lasted 10 days after surgery.
At spring work up, all of their animals are bred, and one of them had the last calf of the spring, and it was another heifer. They absolutely love going out and seeing their animals. Now, I just have to start the 2 year olds with some...

I loved Jan's comments. Spot on.
My daughter (now in 50's) had a mare that had a colt. Colt started stumbling, couldn't walk, vet out, ended up dying. Vet didn't know what was wrong so wanted to do an autopsy. Thought Michelle might need to go to house (she was about 5 yr old). We said no, and she said NO!! During the autopsy, she asked if it would hurt anything if they ate the meat. Vet said no, but why did she ask? Well, she said, I know my Dad will drag him out back and my dog will eat him!
It was matter of fact. Didn't bother her at all. That was farm life. She understood.
You are doing a GREAT job being DAD.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1f62pcdg said:
I loved Jan's comments. Spot on.
My daughter (now in 50's) had a mare that had a colt. Colt started stumbling, couldn't walk, vet out, ended up dying. Vet didn't know what was wrong so wanted to do an autopsy. Thought Michelle might need to go to house (she was about 5 yr old). We said no, and she said NO!! During the autopsy, she asked if it would hurt anything if they ate the meat. Vet said no, but why did she ask? Well, she said, I know my Dad will drag him out back and my dog will eat him!
It was matter of fact. Didn't bother her at all. That was farm life. She understood.
You are doing a GREAT job being DAD.
I appreciate your sentiment with the last comment Jeanne, but I am actually her MOM lol! As for the death part, she has already had one of her goats die, so she understands that it happens, if not what it really means yet.

Latest posts