Daughters calf possibly sick?

Help Support CattleToday:

4-HMom

Reaction score
My daughter has a maine anjou mix for her market steer project for 4-H. He has recently developed a crusty skin condition on one of his sides and this morning we found another spot in between his back legs. Anyone have any suggestions for what this may be. If you brush over it they ooze and bleed. I have put some neosporin on them but it has not seemed to help much. Any help would be appreciated as we are trying to get maximum hair growth going and it is hindering that in these spots.

yep sounds like ring worm will go away on its own after a month or so but you can speed it along with iodine and lots of sun seems to help.

Thanks so much...I will try the iodine and see if that helps. Our fair is in September so hopefully we can get the hair growth back by then. Thanks Again! :D

Be careful, you can get ringworm too if you have too much contact. Use common sense and be clean around those spots and you should be ok.

We've used athletes foot spray, yeast infection creams, and all kinds of other products. But if you have until September sunlight is the best disinfectant. One thing that you will have to watch out for is it spreading to other cattle. Also once you get ringworm in a barn you should just plan on having it every year. I don't know if it stays in the soil or wood posts or what, but once we got it we had it every year.

Ringworm, just leave it alone it will go away however it kind of depends on show dates as well, you dont want him to be bald and most 4H wont let you show him with active ringworm, you can try OTC human athletes foot spray , or iodine works great to.

Latest posts