dark scours

Help Support CattleToday:

cowkeeper

Reaction score
What should I give a four-month calf, weaned ten days ago? She has a dark scour, very liquid. I am feeding fine second-cut hay and a calf ration. I wondered if it was too rich and cut back on the grain, altho I was told they should have the grain free choice. Could it be worms?

cowkeeper":14zbjj9s said:
What should I give a four-month calf, weaned ten days ago? She has a dark scour, very liquid. I am feeding fine second-cut hay and a calf ration. I wondered if it was too rich and cut back on the grain, altho I was told they should have the grain free choice. Could it be worms?

Are you seeing any blood in the stool?

cowkeeper":g7rkvskj said:
I am feeding fine second-cut hay and a calf ration. I wondered if it was too rich and cut back on the grain, altho I was told they should have the grain free choice.

...they should not ever go from no grain to free choice grain. You're supposed to transition them slowly.

Hi, She is perky, bossy with her pen-mate, and has a good appetite. Does not look bloody. She had been eating alongside her mom, a course chop of mostly barley, oats, corn, bit of molasses. I got this high-powered calf feed and high quality hay,to compensate for early weaning. I have given no grain today and she is eating lots of hay.

Maybe coccidiosis? You might try treating the calf with a Corid drench...and putting Corid in the drinking water.

A fecal sample to the vet would tell you more, I'd bet.

Alice

Latest posts