Dang-better raise your own!

Help Support CattleToday:

Prices here were up at last weeks' sale... one of the state graders said that they think mid Feb is going to be good... Beef magazine has a good article on improving prices and ag situations around the world... more corn being grown so lower prices and decreased cattle numbers; cattle margins and all that... Going to be a good spring for selling....

Some contracts for unborn calves drifting around. Fall delivery for more money than last fall.

Cull 2 and 3 year olds are a fine substitute. Just gotta get the ones that are in, and have always been, in good condition. If they've always been fat and happy I would about guarantee they'll be excellent eating if fed right thru slaughter. And big steaks.

I work em up to 1.5 to 2% bodyweight in corn for 45 to 60 days when doing cull females.

Many will frown on the idea.

Last edited:
Cull 2 and 3 year olds are a fine substitute. Just gotta get the ones that are in, and have always been, in good condition. If they've always been fat and happy I would about guarantee they'll be excellent eating if fed right thru slaughter. And big steaks.

I work em up to 1.5 to 2% bodyweight in corn for 45 to 60 days when doing cull females.

Many will frown on the idea.
Interesting, we've found if they have been constantly fat they are tough. A thin 2 year old that has lost her calf in spring, had a good summer and a few weeks of 15 lbs of barley will have what we call "new meat" and are very tender and tasty.

I bought 3 Pharo genetics Angus heifers last week from a neighbor to finish out. They're around 18-20 months old and around 750 lbs. They were a few of the ones that didn't breed out of a group of 36 heifers. They haven't been fed any grain until now other than some cubes to get them to come. I'm aiming to have them finished by end of April.

Latest posts