How to tell when times up for your bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":27q2x0eg said:
Just sold him last week 2120# @ .73 #
Good size bull that is big enough to do a lot of damage to larger toys and humans. Good riddance IMO, dang shame he didn't bring at least a buck a pound like he should have, compared the way beef is priced in the stores.

jltrent":1a9ezblf said:
skyhightree1":1a9ezblf said:
Good size bull that is big enough to do a lot of damage to larger toys and humans. Good riddance IMO, dang shame he didn't bring at least a buck a pound like he should have, compared the way beef is priced in the stores.

Yea he was a master ring tearer upper too.... Never was aggressive to a person at all. Yea I carried him to blackstone market and if i drove him to lynchburg i would have got 1.00 lb... Yes sir it is good riddance wife hated to see him go she liked him i did too when he wasnt being distructive. I still don't understand 10.00lb in stores and we barely get 15% of that and we raised the animals

skyhightree1":1o1jmjms said:
jltrent":1o1jmjms said:
skyhightree1":1o1jmjms said:

Yea he was a master ring tearer upper too.... Never was aggressive to a person at all. Yea I carried him to blackstone market and if i drove him to lynchburg i would have got 1.00 lb... Yes sir it is good riddance wife hated to see him go she liked him i did too when he wasnt being distructive. I still don't understand 10.00lb in stores and we barely get 15% of that and we raised the animals

Get the calculator out and figure all of the transportation, labor cost and all before it is placed in the meat market counter and you will see why. We buy ground beef in the area for $2.99 lb all day long and that is where your bull meat ended up.

hurleyjd":2huoukpf said:
skyhightree1":2huoukpf said:
jltrent":2huoukpf said:

Get the calculator out and figure all of the transportation, labor cost and all before it is placed in the meat market counter and you will see why. We buy ground beef in the area for $2.99 lb all day long and that is where your bull meat ended up.

In years to come I see alot more people leaving and abandoning cattle production unless your a big producer. I am small time and the $$$ isn't there for my operation and I don't have alot of overhead. I will keep a few because i like them but earn a living or be a good portion of my income not at these prices. IMO you can look at all the things you mentioned and the producers are still getting screwed.

hurleyjd":1lbwj9y9 said:
I am 99% sure that I am going to quit this year. Tired of subsidizing the beef industry.

I am going to only keep a few as i like them and they will be a hobby.

If you own the land you can make a little money in the cattle business. Some folks do alright on lease land, I just can't make it pencil out. Is $40 dollars a hour a fair rate to figure when using your equipment on someone else's leased property?

True Grit Farms":3kdv2h1n said:
If you own the land you can make a little money in the cattle business. Some folks do alright on lease land, I just can't make it pencil out. Is $40 dollars a hour a fair rate to figure when using your equipment on someone else's leased property?

I own and lease land and it does ok but doesn't equal out to the work and costs of things like fertilizer and lime used and such. On someone elses leased land like baling for them or mowing hay? something like that?

skyhightree1":1wcn5uga said:
True Grit Farms":1wcn5uga said:

I own and lease land and it does ok but doesn't equal out to the work and costs of things like fertilizer and lime used and such. On someone elses leased land like baling for them or mowing hay? something like that?

Sky, I figured my inputs plus $40 dollars per hour for my equipment on the land I leased, I included my time and fuel into the $40. I just couldn't make it pencil out for me. I like to stay busy but I'm not working on someone else's land for nothing.

True Grit Farms":2088s4pr said:
skyhightree1":2088s4pr said:
True Grit Farms":2088s4pr said:

Sky, I figured my inputs plus $40 dollars per hour for my equipment on the land I leased, I included my time and fuel into the $40. I just couldn't make it pencil out for me. I like to stay busy but I'm not working on someone else's land for nothing.

Oh I misunderstood what you were asking. Heck in general on any land leased or owned that fertilizer and lime takes a big whack out of the bottom line. Unfortunately, for some of us leasing is a necessary evil.

Latest posts