D-Day

Help Support CattleToday:

I knew it was coming, yet I never saw or heard much of anything about it on the anniversary of it. All the punks that are out there rioting ought to have to go through what some of our troops went through then. The youth of today will never really appreciate the sacrifices that were made, the conditions that were endured. I don't have any living relatives that were in the service, and most of mine were back in the beginning of this country except an uncle. But I have friends who lost family members and I cannot ever thank them for the sacrifices they made for all of us. To think that the ones out there rioting today are too cowardly to go out and fight for something that is bigger than they are and would benefit more than just the immediate gratification that they get destroying things that are not theirs.

I was literally raised by the men off Normandy in the USN , at Pearl 12/7/41 and made the beach landings Guadalcanal, Iwo and Okinawa. My dad and uncles all saw action in WWII. Oldest two brothers served Vietnam one was a lifer .
I can only imagine their prospective today.

Caustic Burno said:
I was literally raised by the men off Normandy in the USN , at Pearl 12/7/41 and made the beach landings Guadalcanal, Iwo and Okinawa. My dad and uncles all saw action in WWII. Oldest two brothers served Vietnam one was a lifer .
I can only imagine their prospective today.

None of my direct ancestors served, for a variety of reasons, but I had a great-uncle who was in the Normandy invasion. I spent a lot of time with him, and he'd occasionally talk about his time in the Army, but never about the actual fighting. I'll never forget when he was telling me about when they were in England getting ready to go into Normandy. He said they were getting tired of eating the same old thing, and there was a creek near where they were camped, so someone thought a fish fry would be a good idea. He looked at me and said "You know, if you throw a hand grenade in the water you can get ALL KINDS of fish."

Latest posts