Cutting hay and splitting it

Help Support CattleToday:

critterair2

Reaction score
So were cutting hay for a lady down the street. All Bahia, bout knee high, fair amt of weeds. She gets half we get half, so far so good. Cut on Friday, let it sit all day Sat, turned it over Sat afternoon. Baled it Sun. afternoon. Was dry as dry could be. She was upset didn't think it was ready to be put up. Wanted it moved cause she was sure it was going to catch fire. I'm no super hay guru, but I've been putting up hay since I was about eight yrs old, 33 now. I had no worries whatsoever about this hay, nor would I have a problem feeding it to my own cows. Told her I'd take all the rolls she could have the next part of the field, cutting it in 1/3's. Next morning she's happy with the hay, roll weight was 1250lbs and rolled super tight. Today she doesn't like the rolls says her cows won't eat it, and that it was put up wet, still trying to figure out why she's putting out hay in Sept. Oh by the way, Sunday had about 20 knot winds all day due to Gustav heading up the gulf. Anybody think with that kind of wind it was really wet? Cut about ten acres this afternoon she called and said stop cutting. She wants to be 100% control in when we cut, when we hit it with the tedder, and when we bale. I think thats crazy, don't micromanage let me do what I know how to do. What do ya'll think? Cutting on halves ya'll let the property owner call the shots? We have never used a hay tester, thinking about buying one to test the rolls, just to see what the moisture content is. I've never had cows not eat hay that I've put up. Feel like picking up my tractor and toys and say "let someone else do it." Thanks guys for letting me vent.

Let someone else deal with her. Lifes to short to have to deal with people like that.Chances are everyone around knows her and probably won't deal with her.

Sounds like you have just run into the same streak of idiocy that I have been dealing with for the last three weeks. I can't stand someone who puts their thumb on me. She's probably afraid you are going to screw her over like she would do you if she was given half a chance. If you don't need the hay, I'd let someone else deal with her next year. Oh, btw, her cows probably aren't eating the hay cause I suspect you have plenty of green grass down there right now. My cows don't care for it either when they have greenery to chew on.

You have run into a person that is going to be in control and try to make you look like a fool, when she is the fool. I Would go back bail enough for my half and be picking it up as it came out of the baler and leave hers on the ground unbaled. Then let her figure out what to do next. Then you will be able to negotiate, when the rain is coming over the horizon.

It isn't worth the hassle. Just tell her to find someone else cut and bale her hay.

I had a similar situation last night. I have one pasture that has a hot wire all around it, and one side is only 2 strands of hot wire. Well, yesterday I had a couple of calves get out, first time over there in probably 3 years. No big deal, the fence was shorted out and one of the wires broke after they figured out the wire wasn't hot. Well I fixed the short, mended the wire, but it still wouldn't work as there was evidently an additional short. In the mean time, the adjoining neighbor drives by and starts yacking about putting a calf of mine in a couple hours prior. Well I tell him the fence had a short, blah, blah, blah, still a short in it, blah, blah, blah, so he starts asking me questions. Is the electricity turned on? Is the fencer working? Did you check up there where there are a couple of trees close to the fence? Did you grab ahold of the fence and see if it is working? Now this isn't the first year I have ran cattle on this pasture, only the 10th. I told him I have a tester that tells me if the fence is working. I wanted to say I know I am only 27 and you are older than dirt, but I think I know what I am doing. I just brushed it off and went about my business, but I hate it when another person tries to tell someone else how/what to do. I only give advice when it is asked for.

Find somewhere else to cut next year. And if she ain't putting out plenty of fertelizer I would not even consider cutting on halves.
In order to make it cutting on halves, is lots of fertelizer and brumuda grass. Bahia does not make enough per acre to split it.

Latest posts