Cut up trees as fence posts

Help Support CattleToday:

ABrauny

Reaction score
So I helped a friend cut down some trees and have a few 8-9 foot sections I'm thinking of using as posts. I also have a few trees around that are the right size for posts and I want to chop them down, cut them up and use them as posts. The only thing that makes me think twice about it is the longevity of the posts. What luck has anyone had doing this? Would you treat them with a preservative first?

Depends on what kind they are as to if they'll make good posts.

I'm guessing the tree that I have cut down right now is either an oak or an elm. Some of the trees around home would be maple.

Oak should last, but it would depend on what kind of maple they are. Sugar, and soft maple are better firewood.

Also depends on local environment and soil type. Around here, people used to fire treat white oak. Just the end in the ground and a few inches up. There are still some on my grandads place that were planted in the 40's. I don't think I would pull them up and re-use them, but they certainly lasted longer than any modern day treated post

I'm not familiar with using locust here, but our native cedar quality varies. If you plant our cedar when it's still green, you can expect to re-tamp and re-staple, until the outer pithy part has stabilized (rotted away). The inner "heart" will last forever. If I do use cedar for post, I split them and staple to the heart wood.

Black locust is good. Better yet Is Osage orange, if they are available in your area. Oak would be hard for me to nail.

Oak or elm would not last long in my area, due to the insect population and the dampness.

Our local cedar does not last much longer--tho the cedar from the hill country and further west lasts a very long time. Our local cedar is mostly sapwood, with a small diameter heart, and I've seen lots of local 4" cedar posts planted and a couple years later, only a 2" heart left standing.

Bodark/Osage orange/Hedge apple/horseapple/ Bois d'arc=all names for the same tree--(Maclura pomifera).
They last a long long time, but are hard as a hooker's heart to drive a staple in.

You got nothing to lose.

Peel the bark off and stick them in in dry ground be happy.

Or peel the bark off of them and stick them in wet ground and be happy.

They are free

If they make ten or more years in dry ground be happy

If they make five years or more in wet ground be happy

You will always have to replace some wooden posts in your fence lines and while others will last longer than you will live - no matter what anyone tells you, you can never be sure which post will be the old timer and which post will rot out - I have some on this place that are probably 50 years old and doing fine.

I also have some that are less than ten years old and need replacing.

You either do that or burn them for heat

In the end they are free and your time is worth nothing

I still have far too much snow on the ground to even think about fencing.

Have fun

Bez

denvermartinfarms":1wv88dky said:
Wow bez, i don't think I've heard you sound this happy.

Even crusty old bass turds like me can have a good day once in a while

My direct way writing has a way of making people think I am PO'd when in fact I am quite laid back - just always write like I talk - direct.

Too late to change now.

Cheers

Bez

TennesseeTuxedo":1hfvre11 said:
Don't locust and cedar make good posts?

Yes. Oak or elm will last about 3 years in my area. I wouldn't waste my time and if I couldn't pressure treat the logs or vat treat them for a few months I wouldn't waste my time with oak or elm.

I have used post oak and got about 8 years out of them. Dry them first for best results though.

Of course the T-post I put in the ground at the same time are still standing, lol. Didnt need to dry them either. :)

Latest posts