curved fences vs?

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
I've read y'all's strong feelings on straight fences, but I've got a winding/twisting drop-off to a river bottom over about 2000 ft. Way too rocky/foresty to fence along the slope where my property line is. So I can A) build a straight fence but lose around 3+ acres in pasture (out of 55 acres of pasture) B) put in 7-8 corner posts and lose very little pasture. c) Build some gently curved fence and probably 3 corners and lose very little pasture. Votes/thought? Thanks!

Sounds like something one would have to see to understand. What would be the downside to #3? Seems like the logical choice.

Curved fences have trouble keeping the wire tight and/or having posts pull out of the ground. Personally I would be cussing a little as I installed all those extra corner posts. And as for building a straight fence on the property line, I didn't know there was such a thing as too steep and rocky to build fence.

Curved will have to be braced differently and might end up being as much work as the extra corner post option. I would cuss and go along like Dave above.

Dave":173r1npn said:
I didn't know there was such a thing as too steep and rocky to build fence.
You've never visited the Ozarks. There are places here that if you are within 2 foot of the center line on either side it's considered straight.

dun":2u68ig6o said:
Dave":2u68ig6o said:
I didn't know there was such a thing as too steep and rocky to build fence.
You've never visited the Ozarks. There are places here that if you are within 2 foot of the center line on either side it's considered straight.

I built fence over by Banks Lake in Douglas County and just last month in Okanogan County where the fence past over the top of hundreds of feet of continuous basalt slab with an occasional 30-40 foot vertical wall. No dirt involved, 100% solid rock. Unless you have a rock drill or a jack hammer the fence is built on top of the ground because you don't sink posts. And literally on that ranch by Banks Lake we used a rock drill to drill holes for T posts.

If this is a property line fence dividing you from neighbor and fencing off 3 acres , this could create a property line dispute in future years resulting in legal expenses and you losing the 3 acres.

You said gentle curve, so I say curve it.
Nothing wrong with a fence having a curve if that's how it's meant.
Try to keep Bends under about 15 degrees and you will be fine with a good deep set single post. For a greater bend add a kicker. I would love to post a picture, but a lost phone last week and cloud and photobucket trouble. I've lost my photos. I'll take and post something in the next couple of days.

I redid a perminent electric fend around one of my oat patches a few years ago. Part of it followed a curved terrace. I welded up some H braces. every so often I put one in perpendicular to counter the pull of the arc. Straight lined the post in between.

good info i always buid things on a curve,kinda like a straight row you get more outa crocked row ! :hide:

Regardless of what anyone says here or elsewhere, put your fence where you want it for the right reasons and in the manner you want to build it. Nobody knows your conditions and a few braces will take a little time but you will be glad that you did what you thought was right.

If the curve is a bit more than you would like a pair of T posts every so often, the 2nd driven in at 30 degree angle as a brace and wired to the upright post I find to be reasonably durable and take a bit of load.

Ken

Brute 23":2itv0m8t said:
As many corners as it takes to do it right
A friend of mine says that a hay field with less then 9 corners is considered square

The difference between 3 and 7 corners is about 2 hours and maybe a 100 bux. Its not 3 vs 20. You also dont have to truncate sweeping corners either, they just need braces and keep the wire going.

Latest posts