Currency & Beef Import Trends ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
How much of an effect will we see on burger importation, and kill cow prices, due to appreciation of U$S ?

How much will this be factored into fall 2015 bred cow prices ?

Stocker Steve":126kyfs9 said:
How much of an effect will we see on burger importation, and kill cow prices, due to the strong U$S ?

Pass------Next question

Seriously though, the strong dollar weak dollar debate could go for days. What it actually means to slaughter price is, more "grindable" meat will probably be coming in. May also mean less quality cuts will be leaving as well.

It's already happening. See market reports below. Packer cows down $5-10 in last few weeks. Buyer told me so much imported ground beef is making it hard for packers to move the US meat. Not sure how much it will affect the bred cow market. Around here it seems bred cow buyers are mostly focused on what their calves sell for and pretty oblivious to the kill market at present. Probably be a delayed reaction down the road if kill cows stay quite a bit cheaper.

Per my plan, am planning to sell all my old cows that have calves over 300 lb this week. Most of these cows are in good condition. Those with smaller calves will wean this winter and possibly background calves until spring. Have several of these cows that are thin, so plan to feed/fatten them after weaning for spring sale. Am hoping the bred market will soften in fall so can buy replacements.

KO_LS151
Oklahoma City, OK Tue Aug 18, 2015 USDA-OK Dept of Ag Market News

Oklahoma National Stockyards, Oklahoma City, OK.
Cow and Bull Auction Report for Tue 08/18/2015

Receipts: 540 Last Sale: 498 Last Year: 499
Receipts Monday: 6,044

Compared to last week: Slaughter cows 7.00-9.00 lower. Slaughter
bulls 3.00 lower in a light test. Packer demand moderate. Demand
remains good for bred cows and pairs. Total of 190 cows and bulls sold
with 56 percent going to slaughter.

KO_LS157
Oklahoma City, OK Mon Aug 24, 2015 USDA-OK Dept Ag Mkt News

OKC West - El Reno Livestock Market, El Reno, OK.
Cow and Bull Auction Report for Mon 08/24/2015

Receipts: 434 Last Week: 148 Last Year: 474

Compared to last week: Slaughter cows 1.00-3.00 lower. Slaughter bulls
1.00-2.00 lower. Packer demand moderate at best. Slow movement of beef is
limiting demand for cows. A total 407 cows and bulls sold with 38 percent
going to packers.

Stocker Steve":2eukpemr said:
How much of an effect will we see on burger importation, and kill cow prices, due to appreciation of U$S ?

How much will this be factored into fall 2015 bred cow prices ?
As it turns out a big effect.
Looks like you were pointing in the right direction about a month ahead of everybody, but too narrowly focused.

I am focused on my goals - - so I sold my low preforming cows, bought a pile of heifer hay, and now I am shopping for heifers to improve my herd.

It would be cool to here " a trader on the stock exchange" tell us how they see it with regard to futures. I suppose they have a handle on how things like currency exchange has an affect on their decision making. I'm sure they have a program for those decisions.

In Australia a good quality heavy mature cow in calf will go to the processors rather than the restockers as the restockers can't match the price of the processors and the main market for that meat is the US. Yes the exchange rate plays a big part plus due to the drought there is not the demand for females yet. If we get a wet season in the north this year the situation will change quickly but the outlook is not real flash with a very strong El Nino forecast to persist well into to the new year and for us on the East coast of Australia that means dry conditions.
Ken

Latest posts