Crtitique my heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not very good at judging brahman influenced animals, I'd say for my tastes she could have some more length to be proportionate to her height.

I'd keep her for a cow, if she was born on my place. A little more length, would be nice, but she's not short enough to earn a ride to the stockyard.

Jasmine is a pretty heifer. I think she will make a good cow. I am keeping one that looks a lot like her.

I looked at her on my phone this morning. Just looked at her on my PC. She looks better than I thought. Definatly a keeper.

Wacocowboy, she's 9 or 10 months in the picture. She's out of my grade Brahman cow and my son's Balancer bull.

The last link no worky for me, but she looks good in the other picture. 10 months? She'll get a little more length on her yet.
Balancers sure give em a lot to work with and she should be able to make plenty milk for a calf.

I see that she needs two things - a little more depth in rear flank and a Hereford bull to breed her when it is time to get her bred. Nice heifer. She could reside at my place.

I'll try something else.

900x900px-LL-10a8b673_DSCN7401.jpeg

900x900px-LL-34744866_DSCN7392.jpeg

Thanks for the replies. My goal, and it's going to take me a few years but I'm very good with genetics, is a small cow herd that has the Gyr/Gir traits of the very long ears, speckled, huge frame like my cow, Rose... but with a more beefy carcass or at least "produce" the better carcass.

I will be studying some cattle genetics to work this out. Rose is bred to a red Angus this time and I have a couple of bred heifers (red mixed stock named Ariel and a Char/Angus cross named Millie) bred to a reg Angus bull. I have a weanling Gyr bull calf but will use my sons horned Hereford bull next crop (till the Gyr bull calf is ready to breed) on Rose, Jasmine, Ariel and Millie. All bull calves to market, heifers will be sold unless they are exceptional beef type or with Rose and Jasmine, if they have some ear and good beefy type, they stay at least till matured. The following year, I'll use my Gyr bull a couple of years to assess what I need. I don't mind horns but will dehorn the keeper heifers and eventually, will work on polled but that isn't the priority at the beginning.

I am not a big producer, I love what I love and my ideal cows will be Gyr/Brahman type look, super long ears, good milker (for a beef type) but not a "milk cow" that I have to worry about udder issues, longevity for breeding for many years, big tall framed, beefy enough, polled, flashy speckled and above all else, excellent calm temperament. The reason I say beefy enough, I still like my Gyr type but I want to be able to cross these cows to a good registered beef bull and have outstanding calves for market, yet still have the beautiful cows of my dreams in my pasture. Getting to the end product (the cows) will give my brain a workout (I am an RN and I love genetics) but that is one of the best parts. I don't have to make a living on them, it's a hobby but if I can have the cow type that I want and calves that the market wants, I couldn't ask for better.

My neighbor raises Brahmousin's (Butch Rankin) and I plan to talk with him about a heifer or two that has a little more Brahman type than he uses. He's very particular about temperament and his cattle are very nice.

My son has a very nice, heavy boned horned Hereford bull but I'm a little concerned that would not be a good cross for her first calf so I may send her to my son's friend's herd when her time comes and breed to his reg Angus then after that, if she calves easy and I expect she should, then the Hereford bull should add some bone and I will hope for a heifer to keep and breed back to my Gyr bull later.

I'm "considering" a heifer out of a Holstein cow and reg Angus bull. We had a cow that was crossbred that way that was an excellent producer. Just not sure, opinions? I've seen some amazing Holstein/Gyr crosses but .......

Alocowman, Jasmine is out of Babe. She's the grade grey Brahman cow I've posted before and posted her bull calf last year (Bart). I ended up selling her because of her temperament....and her hatred of my son to be exact. This heifer is quiet and very easy to be around. Babe had been rough handled before I got her and after years of good care, she never got over hating men.

I like her and will be honest that a part of that is i think that this kind of heifer is what the Gelbvieh Assn had in mind when they started looking at the "Southern Balancer".

If I do live in the south, this heifer will be in my herd as a commercial cow. You would like the calves out of her and Hereford bull.

3waycross is correct about southern balancer.

Latest posts