Crossing longhorn cows to commercial bulls ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Chrome is white markings....
We have one longhorn who is small. We've bred her to angus because she was small.. This year she's with the simangus bulls...so we shall see..
She's had 3 calves so far out of angus bulls, and 2 where spotted up, one was solid...

Thats a good looking cow nesikep, say you had a 900 pound corriente cow and a 900 pound angus cow wouldnt they eat the same amount?

MtnCows93":2xk010xa said:
Thats a good looking cow nesikep, say you had a 900 pound corriente cow and a 900 pound angus cow wouldnt they eat the same amount?
it's like a 200lbs pig vs a 200lbs whitetail buck, which one do you think eats more than the other?

MtnCows93":13pfl7uy said:
She is a nice cow.. not mine though.. Sire of the calf was mine though, grandpa is my avatar pic

My longhorn had her angus cross calf on April 21 and that sucker is growing like a weed!!! At 4 months old he's already bigger than his mom was when I bought her and she was 8 months old when I got her!!

This is Tiny (the longhorn) the day I bought her.

Here's her calf the day he was born

And here he was at 3 months old

younggun":1o9gnmwo said:
My longhorn had her angus cross calf on April 21 and that sucker is growing like a weed!!! At 4 months old he's already bigger than his mom was when I bought her and she was 8 months old when I got her!!

This is Tiny (the longhorn) the day I bought her.

Here's her calf the day he was born

And here he was at 3 months old

Really nice set of horns on that cow. Been my experience, dun colored longhorn cows tend to to have solid colored calves. Might not be the way of it for everybody, but it has been here.

seeing that calf makes me want to buy some longhorn heifers and turn them into cows, are longhorn heifer calves fence jumpers? worrying about that and having to cut the tips off the horns is the only thing stopping me from doing it

MtnCows93":pqqqbjmt said:
seeing that calf makes me want to buy some longhorn heifers and turn them into cows, are longhorn heifer calves fence jumpers? worrying about that and having to cut the tips off the horns is the only thing stopping me from doing it
Never had a issue with Tiny testing or jumping fences. She was wild as piss when I bought her as a calf but she's REALLY calmed down. She lets me get within 2-3 feet of her now. Her calf was pretty wild too but he's starting to calm down.

Now Lucy, my HerefordXcharolais, can literally have 20 acres of 2' tall grass and she'll look for a weak spot in fence and get out. She was 8 months bred and managed to push her way through an 8 strand high tensile fence!! :bang:
Put a charger on it and that stopped that mess.

Latest posts