Crossing for F1 or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
Thinking of crossing my black angus heifers with a grey Brahman bull to produce a set of F1 crosses. What are your opinions on that or should I stick to a sire from Santa Rosa Ranch in TX that we usually A.I. from. The reason of doing so would be to gain more Brahman characteristics. I know the steer calves will take a hit at the sales but we are retaining all our heifers. Thanks for your thoughts and time! :cboy:

midTN_Brangusman":2b65oa3i said:
Thinking of crossing my black angus heifers with a grey Brahman bull to produce a set of F1 crosses. What are your opinions on that or should I stick to a sire from Santa Rosa Ranch in TX that we usually A.I. from. The reason of doing so would be to gain more Brahman characteristics. I know the steer calves will take a hit at the sales but we are retaining all our heifers. Thanks for your thoughts and time! :cboy:

Save the Brahman bull for their second calf.

Welcome to the forum. If I had some Angus cows I'd use a Brahman bull on them in a heartbeat. I have mostly Brangus cows, but I would like a little more Brahman influence than some of them have. I'm sure some others will disagree.

ALACOWMAN":3m1v1z5a said:
Breed em to a brangus bull, you'll have all the ear you need in Tn...
They will only be 3/16 Brahman , I would like more if I was going to do what you are talking about. If it does not get to cold where you are from go for the Brahman and get 1/2 bloods then I would cross them back to a Char. or Angus , yes there is other good crosses but that is what I like,
If you AI them why not buy sexed heifer semen then you will not take the steer hit

BRYANT":21rb4fug said:
ALACOWMAN":21rb4fug said:
Breed em to a brangus bull, you'll have all the ear you need in Tn...
They will only be 3/16 Brahman , I would like more if I was going to do what you are talking about. If it does not get to cold where you are from go for the Brahman and get 1/2 bloods then I would cross them back to a Char. or Angus , yes there is other good crosses but that is what I like,
If you AI them why not buy sexed heifer semen then you will not take the steer hit
a little Brahman goes a long way...you can always increase the percentage.. Then to breed it out.. I can leave north Al. in a t shirt,and need a parka in Lawrenceburg Tn..

1. You may want to read up on the effects of using Brahman bulls on English cows when it comes to calf size. Me personally I would never breed a Brahman bull to English heifers due to the possible size of the male calves.

2. Unless you plan on shipping those calves to Florida, Louisiana, or Texas I don't know why you would need that much Brahman influence.

Not sure how many calves out of 1st calf heifers would make the replacement pen under the best conditions. My 2 cents is be boring breed the heifer calves to a lbw Angus to get 1st calf on the ground and ring the bell at the sale barn and then on the 2nd calf put whatever bull you want in there. But even then I would go with a Brangus that shows a little more Brahman influence at that point. But if you have your heart set on using a Brahman bull then the 2nd calf is the time to do it imo.

Rafter S":3nhmqlm5 said:
Welcome to the forum. If I had some Angus cows I'd use a Brahman bull on them in a heartbeat. I have mostly Brangus cows, but I would like a little more Brahman influence than some of them have. I'm sure some others will disagree.

I just reread your original post. When I replied earlier I'm afraid I missed the part where you said you have Angus heifers. I thought this was about mature cows. I agree with the others who have cautioned against using a Brahman bull on heifers.

Rafter S":1ke9y4pg said:
Rafter S":1ke9y4pg said:

I just reread your original post. When I replied earlier I'm afraid I missed the part where you said you have Angus heifers. I thought this was about mature cows. I agree with the others who have cautioned against using a Brahman bull on heifers.

Yeah I missed that to. I would go LBW Angus or Hereford then you could come back with a Brahma bull. I would cross those F1 with a Hereford to give you some awesome Brangus baldies. Another option would be Beefmaster, Brangus, Simbrah, or Gert.

Thanks everyone for your great insight. I think Im going to take all your advice and breed these heifers to a low birth weight Brangus bull for there first year then possibly go with a Brahmann bull for their second calf.

What age does everyone recommend A.I. heifers?
Im planning on using a Timed A.I. and I have a low birth weight black angus bull I can clean up the open ones with.

I don't AI, but I wouldn't breed them earlier than 15 months.

Have you thought about breeding them to a Hereford after this cross?

On the first calf, I would go with a LBW Simmy, and then turn to the brahman influenced bull for the second calf. That way you'll ring the bell even louder on the first calf, won't take a hit on steers, and might even produce some great maternal heifers worthy of keeping around to breed to your brahman bull in 15-18 months.

By the way, you asked what age to breed. Personally I go with 15-18 months, depending on the heifer and when my others are being bred. :2cents:

I got some calves out of true F1 brangus and Hereford bulls this year. Most of them came out red or red baldies. They are out growing everything on the place though. I think you would get more black baldies out of cows that are from black mom and dad's. Just a guess though. Make sure you have good working facilities, there is something different about a F1 brangus..

Latest posts