crossbreeding tx longhorn

Help Support CattleToday:

cleav

Reaction score
what makes a good cross with tx longhorn if u are going to keep replacement heifers. thanks for all replies.

A lot depends on what type of longhorns you are dealing with. But, in general, Longhorns are good mommas and have good calving ease, they lack in the muscle and growth department. I would go with something bigger framed, with lots of muscle and growth, and solid colored. My friend has lots of success with charolais cross. Calves grow good and most come out tan or cream. I think they have a Maine/Simm cross bull now, and the calves are just hitting the ground this spring, but have been growing fast once they hit the ground.

Ryan

I have an angus longhorn heifer. She looks to be a good heifer but she has not had her baby. She is black and is polled, and looks like an angus but she is part long horn so I am wondering how baby will come out.

I have some longhorn in my commercial heard and bred them to an angus bull. I am pleased with the solid color of the calves but I am not as pleased with their growth. I'm running them with a lighter bull do to their smaller frame so this could be some of the problem, but his calves have grown well with other cows.

I was thinkin of getting two and running them with a fullblood poll limousin.

If any body has 2 red and white females for sale in Alabama let me know thanks

angus, red angus, brangus, beefmaster, hereford. simmental. take your pick.

Put a Charolais bull on them and get those big growthy cream colored calves. Those little Longhorn cows will raise a calf as big or bigger than your other cows bred this way. Try em and you'll like em.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":9f25l7ll said:
Rustler9":9f25l7ll said:
Put a Charolais bull on them and get those big growthy cream colored calves. Those little Longhorn cows will raise a calf as big or bigger than your other cows bred this way. Try em and you'll like em.
Yup! :D

With my bias I should maybe not intervene............. ;-)

Rustler and MPR, that is good advice! :lol:

But only with the RIGHT Charolais bull! ;-)

I'm not crazy about a Charolais myself-not meaning to knock anybody's breed. I've just had some bad experiences with a Charolais bull on some other breeds of cattle. Big calves. I've used a Longhorn bull on Charolais cows and got great calves from that cross. I also know folks who use the Charolais bull on the Longhorn cows and they swear by them. I think the French Charolais is supposed to be the one that doesn't have the big head and shoulders? Not sure so please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, Longhorn cows supposedly have wider birth canals and don't seem to have trouble with big beef bulls. I know they do have high hips.

Rustler------- I am sure this will not apply to all charolais bulls. I recently purchased 15 longhorn and longhorn mix cows 8 have calfs by the side and are bred back and the other 7 are bred. All to my charolais bull.The first 2 calfs I got within 2 days of each other could not have weighed 50 lbs if that and one is smaller than the other.Both are spittin images of the daddy. Good strong calfs up and nursing and runnin around in 1 day. ;-)

I used a Beefmaster bull on my longhorns that I had at the house. They were mainly just for looks, but I ended up keeping the heifers because they looked so good. If you do go with the Charlois, be careful. Big heads and shoulders scare me. Learned from experience, and would not have one.

Here's a first calf heifer that is out of a Longhorn bull and a 1/2 Beefmaster, 1/2 Beefalo. She raised a good calf and is bred back. She's out of a horned cow so there wasn't much chance taht she would be polled.

100_0330.jpg

If you do go with the Charlois, be careful. Big heads and shoulders scare me. Learned from experience, and would not have one.

Might have been that your bull buying expertise was seriously inadequate....................

Calving problems can come from most any breed.

Except maybe those little scrawny breeds that will not amount to much in the end. Selling by the pound is still an accepted practice today.

Mike C--I probably run more bulls right now than you have ever bought in your life. I am just trying to help the guy out and let him know that there are potential problems with this breed. And I have experienced them. Sorry if I made your cry talking about your favorite breed, but I really don't care. Have you ever seen a Beefmaster calf kill a cow? Me neither. I have Brahma, Beefmaster, and Braford bulls and have no problems. Don't quote me unless you know what you are talking about.

Latest posts