Colors...crossbreeding

Help Support CattleToday:

JJ27

Reaction score
I recently bought a Shorthorn plus cow and she is blue roan. She has had one calf (bred to black angus) and it came out solid black. I read somewhere that there is a 50 50 shot of her calf being blue roan when bred to black. We ended up getting a red Angus bull this time so now I'm wondering what the color options are for her calf?

JJ27 said:
I recently bought a Shorthorn plus cow and she is blue roan. She has had one calf (bred to black angus) and it came out solid black. I read somewhere that there is a 50 50 shot of her calf being blue roan when bred to black. We ended up getting a red Angus bull this time so now I'm wondering what the color options are for her calf?

With SH genetics the crayons that spill are quite a few. They don't play by the rules like LH.

I love blue roan. I have seriously been toying with taking a solid white SH and breeding to a black cow. White SH is carrying two roan genes, so offspring should be roan.
With a Red Angus sire, you have a chance the calf will be red factored IF the dam is carrying 1 red gene. Otherwise, calf will be black factored - roan or not is the ???

Latest posts