cropland change to natural pasture??

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi, Here is my situation. We just bought this land next to us and ob the edges of the field are brome for hay. We bought the land to have pasture for our cattle. The main part of the field which is about 16.5 acres(they think) hasn't been planted in quit a few years( 4 I think) The weeds are mainly johnson grass, and thistles etc. Is there anyway you can plant this land this fall to brome, and it will be able to be used nexted year? We are gonna get money to plant the weedly cropland to brome from the USDA office at a local town. Our location is eastern Kansas. Any advice would be good. Thanks--Becky

[email protected]

> Hi, Here is my situation. We just
> bought this land next to us and ob
> the edges of the field are brome
> for hay. We bought the land to
> have pasture for our cattle. The
> main part of the field which is
> about 16.5 acres(they think)
> hasn't been planted in quit a few
> years( 4 I think) The weeds are
> mainly johnson grass, and thistles
> etc. Is there anyway you can plant
> this land this fall to brome, and
> it will be able to be used nexted
> year? We are gonna get money to
> plant the weedly cropland to brome
> from the USDA office at a local
> town. Our location is eastern
> Kansas. Any advice would be good.
> Thanks--Becky

We have the same situation in a way. We bought a small farm with 8 acres of land in early summer. We are not farmers, but we are going to raise beef cattle, so we needed to pasture the 8 acres out. By the time we closed on the deal, the acreage had grown up to high weeds. (Horse Nettle, Broadleaf, etc.) It was bad !! We didn't know what we were doing so we asked the advice of a good friend who does farm. He suggested that we let the farmer who bought the balance of the fields to plant soybeans in our field. Then after he harvests his beans we should plant winter wheat. In the spring throw the pasture mix on top of the wheat, and once we see the pasture mix coming up, cut the wheat. This keeps the weeds from becoming out-of-hand. Now granted, this is the first time we have tried this, but we should find out this next spring how it works. By the way we are in Illinois, so our climates are somewhat the same. Good luck on your new pasture!

[email protected]

Latest posts