critique this heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

redangus

Reaction score
509.jpg

I just say wow!

Gorgeous. Thats my kind of female right there. Has a lot of substance to her, well balanced, and yet remains very feminine.

I would love to have her thats for sure.

Ryan

Beautiful heifer. It doesnt even matter what breed she is when she's so good looking! Wouldnt it be nice if everyone had a whole herd of them kind! Congratulations on such a nice female, your doing something right!

She's not mine. I'd like to buy here though. She may be as beautiful of a female I have ever seen.

Ludvigsons focus on females in Cushing Iowa

She's a good heifer but I personally don't think she'll ever milk as good as she would have before getting her that fat.

I agree completely. Fantastic heifer but I think they got her so fat that she is a avg Choice YG3.0!!! I hope that I am wrong. We don't have a good view of her udder to say one way or another.

I think shes a good heifer, a sure keeper. I wouldnt worry to much about her conditioning, better to have them in good condition than poor condition, however i wouldnt want her to get much heavier. Over conditioning can result in reduced milking abilities.

I agree with ollie. She is an outstanding hfr. but the over condition may hurt her milk production.

This heifer is an example of a magnificant breeding female - regardless of breed! Her body capacity is optimal for a producing breeder. Excellent phenotype, with a few minor exceptions - I would like to see a heavier leg bone to be able to more easily support calves year after year without causing the dam to break down thereby causing her to not be able to fulfill her productive destiny. She may, in fact, be too heavily finished and approaching "show" condition, however I don't believe that she is damaged yet insofar as her milk and fertility is concerned - but she should be CAREFULLY 'let down' in order to preserve her reproductive traits.

With a heifer as desirable in most characteristics as this one is, it is very easy to criticize every little flaw. This little lady has very few phenotypical areas which need improving. If her genotype balances her phenotype, she will make a terrific addition to a cow herd. She is smooth and deep sided, well quartered and level top and underline. Her hindquarters carry down reasonably well, noting the bone size mentioned before.

A VERY desirable situation would be for a producer to have his entire breeding herd fit the criteria that this heifer does! His next problem is to select a bull which will improve her weaknesses and NOT detract from her strengths with their progeny.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":zmlumq66 said:
His next problem is to select a bull which will improve her weaknesses and NOT detract from her strengths with their progeny.

DOC HARRIS

He is really going to have too work to find a bull who is AS GOOD as this heifer or she could be one of those many cows who were good but never had a calf as good as she was.

Latest posts