Creep or not to creep

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
Does anyone have a means of figuring out @ what market prices it is profitable to creep. I haven't been able to figure how much feed it takes to put a pound on a calf. Are there any pos. or neg. effects of creep feeding? I tried it on my last calves and they really took off but I spent alot also so I haven't really figured out if I gained anything out of it.

I read somewhere that it takes 16 lbs of feed to make a pound of beef??? I don't remember where I read or heard that but it is popping in my head.

Depending on brand of feed your feeding and type of cattle, it should only take 7 to 8 pounds of feed to put a pound of weight on them.

I think he is referring to 16 lbs of creep feed needed to get an extra pound than they would without creep feed.

If it was 7 or 8 pounds there would be no question that it pays.

I was referring to creep feed. It all depends of the brand of feed, read your labels and check your percentages. Some brands have better feed than others do. Can't always just go with the cheapest feed, in the long run it's not always the cheapest.

A long time ago, my dad did an informal study on some South Devon weaning calves. He fed them an average of 10# per head per day of Purina Preconditioning and Receiving Chow. They gained an average of 3# per head per day. With rounded numbers (for simplicity), at today's prices, that would be a cost of $1.50 per head per day ($7.50 per 50# bag or 15 cents per pound of PreCon). Assuming the calves brought $1 per pound (again for simplicity) that would be an average daily gain of $3 per head. Which translates to a daily net gain of $1.50 per head. With PreCon there are no necessary hay costs, so if you are going to use a standard type creep chow (which will be cheaper) you will need to figure in hay costs as well. And to really do it right you would need to compare growth, condition, etc. of the creep fed calves to some similar calves on grass only (or still on their mama or whatever situation you want to see if creep feeding will improve).
Also, if you make it known that your calves have been creeped, some buyers like that because after transport they will go right to eating, rather than bawling for their mama for a couple of days.

Steers with good genetics will gain at least three pounds per day, and should do it on less than six pounds of feed per pound of gain. This is based on Hereford/Angus with the right kind of bloodlines. Not only have I seen the data on this, including a copy of an actual feedlot report in Hereford America magazine,(In that case, it was 5.2 pounds per day gain, out of steers sired by BB Cattle Co. bulls, over a hundred head.) but I have experienced it in feeding butcher calves and a show heifer. If you go to the OBI website and look at the results of the bull test, you will see that the top Hereford bull gained 5.6 pounds per day, while there were a few Angus that gained over 6. I might add that there were many more Angus on test than there were Herefords. Frankie has posted this website in the past so it is already in the archives. :)

mbdear":1eyh08l5 said:
Oklahoma State article uses 6 or more pounds of creep to produce a pound of gain. Interesting article is at http://agcomm.okstate.edu/displayArticl ... id=english

mbdear
East Texas

Nevertheless, many good quality feedlot steers will do it on less than six; the best I have seen is about 4.8. I guess this post is about creep, and that is not exactly what feedlots or butcher calves get fed usually.

mbdear":3fvd2tht said:
Here is an interesting site that give actual data for feed lot feed conversions in Iowa Feedlots... http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Pages/ ... -Jun87.pdf

mbdear
East Texas

When looking at this website, notice that the seven-plus pound overall ratio is based on the total of all the breeds, including Holstein, which it noted had higher conversion rates. What I am specifically talking about are top-quality English genetics, ie Herefords and Angus of good breeding. I have seen the results of a ten year long Colorado State study. Herefords beat the average conversion ratio by a significant margin, and I'm sure that Angus are right close to them.

We creep feed and have excelent results on our steers and bulls. 4-5 lbs of gain a day until weining then they head to the lots after weining where they are upwards of 5 lbs a day the more salt you put in your creep feed tends to lessen the intake and calves aren't as fleshy as calves that are on a less intake of salt in there creep.

Latest posts