creep feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

G&L Cattle

Reaction score
I am trying to build a creep feeder from some old pipe thats just layin around. I would like to know a good width for the stalls entrances. I made it 36" high and that seems good. 2 ft is too wide. Cow problems!

Suggestions?
G&L

Cut your width in half.

Better yet throw the creep feeder away.

Bez

Sorry I had the wrong numbers in my head - 12 inches will work - only for a short time - 16/18 would be better.

Understand wanting to try it - but, far more profitable to breed for good growth on grass and milk.

Bez

i stopped by the local feed store and measured one at one time, but cant remember the measurements.... but if you wanted to know, you could find one for sale and take a measurement or 2..

jt

Preifert makes some pens for this. I say steal an idea and go with it. Go to a place that sells them and measure.

Scotty

talking about creep feeders... i remember some time back that the debate over whether to creep or not... was it worth it in $ returned...

i know if you are buying sack feed you are spending alot of $$.. does anyone out there mix their own creep feed... from bulk. would a ground corn, whole cottonseed, soybean meal, range meal mix be good? or some combination thereof?? and maybe add some medicated stuff as well??

thanks

jt

I use whole corn mixed with some protein pellets. If I see some snotty noses I will mix in some chlortatracylin crumbles for a few days. I also limit creep my calves to 4-5 lbs./day, I use a creep panel to a calve shelter and feed them everyday. I could probably feed them a little less, but I like the way they are already bunk broke at weaning. The calves seem to be much healthier as a whole at weaning. I'm guessing that I'm not coming out too much ahead by creeping them other than their health. I calve fall calve in MN and it's nice to give them a little extra energy during cold spells too. I tried giving them free choice creep in the past, but they ate too much compared to how much they grew to justify it.

I tried the width at 17" and there is still one short cow that kneels down and robs the loot. Calves dont have a chance. Im going to try to lower the entrance maybe 6" and try again. This cow may be hard to discourage. I will measure one the next time I see one.

Thanks for the advise!
G&L

We've had similar problems, and solved it by taking the gate off the front of the creep feeder, and putting the feeder itself into a large pen. We use the creep feeder gate as the entrance to the pen. We supply fresh hay as well as the feeder, and the calves love it in there. Many days the cows will be out in the back pasture completely out of sight of the pens, and there will be a group of calves lounging around in the pens. Makes for easy catching when you need to haul them also.

ChrisB":l2gpejnp said:
I use whole corn mixed with some protein pellets. If I see some snotty noses I will mix in some chlortatracylin crumbles for a few days.

how small are these calves that you feed the whole corn to? for some reason i was thinking that whole corn was not good for smaller calves?? in the 200 # range?? i think it had something to do with their stomach's ability to digest it or something like that. i could be wrong.. so i am asking..

thanks

jt

My calves are born in Sept. and Oct. and I start putting the creep out around Thanksgiving. I'm guessing the smaller ones would be just over 200#. I have heard about digesting problems of whole corn, but I haven't read any studies or anything to verify it. I haven't had any problems that I'm aware of, calves look pretty good and seem healthy.

If you want to mix feed cheap find a dairy farmer who may let you use their mixer. Buy the feed you want in it and mix it in his mixer. Get some old feed bags and bag it yourself.

I have 2 great Elk River creeps(650lbs cap.) that I'm very happy with. They were hard to get in my neck of the woods but not too terribly $$$$$. We just started using them & they're working great. If you need dimensions, I can get some back to you. I have some very determined cows & they have learned to leave this one alone.

just bought 5 cows 5 calves the cows are really thin they apparently was not being feed at all i have moved them to my 120 acres of very good grass they thank their in hevan but my question is how long shall i feed them grain before turning them out to all the grass the calved thou look really healthy

Latest posts