creep feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

G&L

Now I want you to do us all a favour and put the pencil to it. Then I want an actual cost of creep feeding as to the additional benefit. Ie: price for calves with creep vs price with no creep.

I am not convinced it is really worth it. I am a believer that it is the mom who does the job or goes down the road with her calf.

Not poking you in the chest with a 40 psi finger. I really want to know how much benfit you think you will get from creeping as compared to the per head cost - daily or annual - does not matter.

Figure it all in - cost of creep feeder / reapair and up keep - hauling - preparing - feeding it out - and weight gain. Cattle control.

Free pipe is not really free - you had to put it together and spend a fair amount of time making it work.

You gotta' buy the feed.

Or, you gotta' make the feed from what you buy.

You gotta' fetch it home.

You gotta' feed it out.

And the beat goes on.

Is it really worth the extra half pound a day - if you get that?

When it is empty you have to start all over again.

Don't forget you have to fix the darned thing when the cows trash it.

Thanks in advance,

Bez

G&L Cattle":1nohvnug said:
I agree. Thank you!

G&L
==========
G&L

Full kernel corn is not a good feed for animals..especially for small ones. No release of nutrients....waste....unless you have some pigs running around them..they will love the moist soft droppings and stand on their heads to get to 'em. but that does not do good for the little calves.

Notice your droppings..the corn is still whole...nothing secreted to the animal.

I have read need to grind corn....at least cracked at least into 4-6 parts....10-14 is better. We grind.

This is from a previous thread on the whole corn vs cracked corn subject.

![/quote]
Big calves 7-8wt. get straight shelled corn.As far as the corn passing thru, they still use part of the nutrients. If feeding ground feed you need to use your bifocals :shock: the corn is still there just smaller pieces. One of the studies that someone posted recently showed there was little economic gain from processing the corn. We have done this for 40 years and can't complain. Lightweight calves might be a diferent story. We bring up to full feed then the bunks stay full, no dust prob. and no moldy feed 8)
your friend
Mike

CKC1586":bhidu0el said:
This is from a previous thread on the whole corn vs cracked corn subject.

!
Big calves 7-8wt. get straight shelled corn.As far as the corn passing thru, they still use part of the nutrients. If feeding ground feed you need to use your bifocals :shock: the corn is still there just smaller pieces. One of the studies that someone posted recently showed there was little economic gain from processing the corn. We have done this for 40 years and can't complain. Lightweight calves might be a diferent story. We bring up to full feed then the bunks stay full, no dust prob. and no moldy feed 8)
your friend
Mike[/quote]
=============

The outer hull will always pass thru...but with it cracked the heart...the nutrients will be absorbed...not so with whole corn...in small calves...like kids...they won't chew properly.

I would like to see the study.....even with large animals much comes thru whole...lower nutrients.

Funny about this Shelled Corn debate. My Cattle wont eat Ground or Cracked Corn half the time unless it's in a premixed feed. They much rather prefer Whole Shelled Corn.What's the problem with feeding it, ?If they dont like it any way but shelled what do we have to lose? They do fine on it.

The shelled vs. cracked has been done to death. Dun has posted some very good articles about it. Do a search. It is about an 8% difference in TDN in the favor of cracked. If you can get cracked within 8% price deference or you are looking for maximum gains then go for it. Whole corn does not produce the dramatic swings in PH like cracked does. It is believed that most of the absorption of nutrients is in the intestine instead of the rumen/stomach which can be an advantage if you are supplementing cows on the range as there will not be the swing in microbes in the rumen.

Some people just can't believe that they are getting anything if they can see the shelled corn in the pats.

Dun also submitted an article about corn and small calves that stated that small calves performed better on cracked than shelled that was greater than the 8% difference. So cracked is preferred for small calves. I do not remember what wt. was classified as a small calf.

Tod Dague":3qscc5sh said:
The shelled vs. cracked has been done to death. Dun has posted some very good articles about it. Do a search. It is about an 8% difference in TDN in the favor of cracked. If you can get cracked within 8% price deference or you are looking for maximum gains then go for it. Whole corn does not produce the dramatic swings in PH like cracked does. It is believed that most of the absorption of nutrients is in the intestine instead of the rumen/stomach which can be an advantage if you are supplementing cows on the range as there will not be the swing in microbes in the rumen.

Some people just can't believe that they are getting anything if they can see the shelled corn in the pats.

Dun also submitted an article about corn and small calves that stated that small calves performed better on cracked than shelled that was greater than the 8% difference. So cracked is preferred for small calves. I do not remember what wt. was classified as a small calf.
=============

Tod,

Excellent points. Yes i to read dun's and others...well done.

There are folks who choose to live in their past rather than holding on to what is proven and grasping the best of the new concepts. Otherwise we need to shut down the reasearch scientists....close the colleges... save the taxes..and let the world pass us up.

Well, we did that on energy and look what it got us....2.50 gas and rising.....predicted by many to be 4.00 before long...without further confrontations in the mid-east.....which is coming ......with the likes of Iran.

We are at least 20 years behind in developing ethanol and bio diesel and still the research has it's critics and naysayers...most of which are complaining about the price of fuel. Go tell!

We are always reminded of a definition I have prospered for years; "A pioneer is an early American with an arrow in his....well...bottom". So be it...anchors away!

Just think, the article was from a study that was done...............Hmmm, must be wrong since it was from a study

dun

dun":2vrvxvqv said:
Just think, the article was from a study that was done...............Hmmm, must be wrong since it was from a study

dun
==========
dun,
yep.... sure got that point.

Anyone has a right to cast aside technical review, progress...many do...the informed producer will have a chance to survie as we go on down the road. I don't believe the same can be said for the ...traditionally regimented types. History books reflect results of that philosophy.

Tod Dague":ub6z1tvl said:

it aint the shelled corn in the pats its the SPROUTING corn in the pats. but still it looks like the geeks have won out and there aint enough difference to worry aobut. they have proved thier case pretty good over all those studies but our forefathers are still rolling over in ther graves and pointing to all that sprouting corn

I understand that each situation is different. With that said, I raise most all of my feed. My mix consist of 1500 lbs of corn (which I choose to crack), 300 lbs soybeans, 1000 lbs of corn gluten (I buy) and 50 white salt, 100 Mineral & 50 Linestone. Makes 3000 lbs. Using market price for my grain and the cost of what I buy it works out to cost me about 12 cents a pound. If I had to buy a premixed feed, dont think it would work, but cant say for sure cause I have not had to go that route (yet).

Lngvew":1hnjs76v said:
I understand that each situation is different. With that said, I raise most all of my feed. My mix consist of 1500 lbs of corn (which I choose to crack), 300 lbs soybeans, 1000 lbs of corn gluten (I buy) and 50 white salt, 100 Mineral & 50 Linestone. Makes 3000 lbs. Using market price for my grain and the cost of what I buy it works out to cost me about 12 cents a pound. If I had to buy a premixed feed, dont think it would work, but cant say for sure cause I have not had to go that route (yet).
===============
Lngvew,

Sounds like a good mix.... But what is the "linestone?"

brokenmouth":12ynxvdf said:
Tod Dague":12ynxvdf said:

it aint the shelled corn in the pats its the SPROUTING corn in the pats. but still it looks like the geeks have won out and there aint enough difference to worry aobut. they have proved thier case pretty good over all those studies but our forefathers are still rolling over in ther graves and pointing to all that sprouting corn

Some times it pays to be a geek. 8)

Latest posts