Creek for a fence?

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I am thinking of using a 8 to 10 foot wide 3 to 4 feet deep creek as a fence on one side of the property . Do you think the cattlle will swim/wade across it?

I think they will, if they think the grass is greener on the other side! I've seen some of mine jump into running water that was over their heads just to take a short cut when they spied me with the range cube buckets in each hand, rather than walking 100 yards upstream and crossing on the bridge.

Do you own the property on the other side? If not I definitely wouldn't try it.

My experience is that if there is a way out, in 10 miles of good fence, a cow WILL find it and WILL get out.

denoginnizer":3bjn2rid said:
I am thinking of using a 8 to 10 foot wide 3 to 4 feet deep creek as a fence on one side of the property . Do you think the cattlle will swim/wade across it?

Yep.

They used to drive cattle, and cross all kinds of rivers.

Go ahead and try to keep your cows in there without a fence. You're going to regret it at some point.

What about keeping critters out? No one ever talks about keeping critters out! When that old mixed breed sorry hatchet butt bull is out there breeding your cows, you'll consider it then. Its YOUR responsibility to protect your animals.

denoginnizer":jkzjh68b said:
The banks are probably 4 feet above the water level and pretty steep.
after a few weeks of drinking from the creek, it will be a nice sloped bank.

and what happens when the creek goes down some?

I've heard it often said the only way to keep cattle from going through a fence is to not have cattle.

I'd agree with everyone else here. My dad used to pasture springer heifers in a pasture with one pond and a fairly large swamp that was generally full to the brim. It didn't stop them from crossing to the other side at all. I've seen it keep "one" horse from crossing, but I think that gelding was the oddity.

I wouldn't do it unless you have got some real home bodies for cows and you are willing to make sure what they have at home is always better than what's on the other side of the creek.;)

We never attempt to use our river for a fence. Well, except when the flood took out all the fences this year. :roll:

Do I think it'll keep them in - No.

I have a canal here that's a good 40 feet across and over my head in spots, and 'ol 311 has crossed it many a time, and, unfortunately, it isn't my property on the other side. She goes downstream and ends up in the neighbor's alfalfa field or on the road. Once they find out they can get across ONCE, you're doomed. I've put a barbed wire strand across the canal and a 40 foot sprinkler pipe, and it doesn't stop that cow now that she knows she can get out.

Sorry, De, wouldn't recommend it.

Come up here one summer, and I'll show you some fairly hairy places that the cattle go through on summer range... basically, where there's a will (and cattle have plenty of that), there's a way (and it's usually not one that they want to follow in reverse when you're moving them).

Best bet is a decent fence, and we all know that even fences aren't foolproof, but at least they're a barrier that the cattle are familiar with.

Also, cattle play havoc with riparian zones.

Take care and have fun with the new place. (Sounds nice.)

denoginnizer":3jj1ja6k said:

Heck yes I got one with 8 to 10 foot sides cross it with no problem.

I've caught day old calves swimming our strip mine lakes. Surprised the heck out everybody that saw it.

denoginnizer":fzro3aj2 said:

Nope - I do not think they will get out.

I KNOW they will get out.

If you saw some of the banks and waterways our cattle have crossed you would understand my comments.

Bez!