Creek for a fence?

Help Support CattleToday:

With cows I think it boils down to if you wanted them to cross they can;t, if you didn;t want them to cross you couldn;t prevent it.
Looked at a piece of property last week that had about a 5-6 foot drop to the river. River was 4-5 feet deep and about 60-70 feet across. At the highest part of the bank the fence was down for a couple of feet. The bank was knocked down to a real gentle slope at that point, cows were in the neighbors pasture across the river. The owner claimed he couldn;t drive the cows back into the river and was going to need to go get them with a trailer.

dun

I guess I am going to run the fence to the point where the creek widens to about 100 yards of water. I am just going to run the fence about 2o yards out into the creek and terminate it there. Kinda like you do when you want to seprate one lake into two pastures. Maybe they wont swim around the end of the fence.
I still cant figure out how the other guy kept his cows from crossing that creek.

Sure is cold to be building fences in the water but got to get it done. Thanks for the advice.

denoginnizer":1mo0feza said:
I guess I am going to run the fence to the point where the creek widens to about 100 yards of water. I am just going to run the fence about 2o yards out into the creek and terminate it there. Kinda like you do when you want to seprate one lake into two pastures. Maybe they wont swim around the end of the fence.
I still cant figure out how the other guy kept his cows from crossing that creek.

Sure is cold to be building fences in the water but got to get it done. Thanks for the advice.

I figure they will simply swim / walk to the end of the fence and go around it.

Better to run a hot wire about 15 yards back from the creek and hold them from the bank - use something to pump water from the creek into a tub and drain the overflow back to the creek.

Be that as it may - let us know how it goes, and then let us know how long the cows stay in! :lol:

Bez!

denoginnizer":reoarpj4 said:

They gonna get out and to the other side. You have everybodys advice and they all agree that the cattle will cross the creek.Now you do what you think best.

denoginnizer":20kkamtz said:

Maybe because he "said" they didn't cross. Perhaps they did cross but he just doesn't "remember" it. ;-)

Katherine

Ive lived on the Brazos River for 42 years. Cant count the # of times that we, my neighbors on each side, and neighbors across the river have fed each others cows. River is generally shallow in spots, but the opposite bank is very steep. Cows can be goat-like when it comes to traveling river banks. Our fence is there to keep others off our coastal field more so than keeping ours in. Ive been seeing the same cow getting into my neighbors field adjacent to ours for the past 4 months. He left a 15 acre field unbaled thats full of knee high johnson grass. We have at times built an outlet into the river for watering, but the first flood that comes along, good-bye cows. Lots of foilage up and down the river banks. Build a fence and keep it away from the creek unless you just like replacing fence...

go with barbed wire b/c you will be fixing it, often. trees will fall, debris in floods will stretch it or break it, at the very least pile up on it.

Keep out of the creek. I've had cows go for a swim in 40 degree water. This was deep water 25-30 foot and 100 yards across. If the cow wants out she's going to go.

Took a look at the neighbors yesterday. He is down the creek about a half mile. He has no fence along his part of french creek. I am not disagreeing that the cattle will get out just saying that in my area it is common for people to use this large body of water as a barrier. In his area the creek looks to be about 500-600 yards wide.

denoginnizer":2ngwg3k4 said:
Took a look at the neighbors yesterday. He is down the creek about a half mile. He has no fence along his part of french creek. I am not disagreeing that the cattle will get out just saying that in my area it is common for people to use this large body of water as a barrier. In his area the creek looks to be about 500-600 yards wide.

Y'all are gonna' do what you want - let us know how it goes.

Bez!

Bez!":sl3w2isw said:
denoginnizer":sl3w2isw said:

Y'all are gonna' do what you want - let us know how it goes.

Bez!

First thing a creek is 20 or 30 feet wide 600yards is a 1/3 of a mile thats a wide ass river.

They call it french creek . It is around gallion alabama. It is wider than the warrior or tombigbee rivers put together. I have noticed riding throughout the country that what our creeks are usually as big as some rivers north of here.

Latest posts