Creek bottom land pastures

Help Support CattleToday:

baleflipper

Reaction score
We been kinda dry last 3 or 4 yrs.Lots of the land along our creeks have been sold to developers.Older Producers sold out and the land was cut into 5 acre tracts. Last night we had over 5 inches of rain and it is still coming. The people living in these creek bottoms are being rescued with helicopters. There was a reason old timers built on high ground.

Our stock tanks have caught water first time in two years. We might get a normal year one of these years.
TV says Bastrop /Caldwell county area under flood warning. Low places on highways are flooded. Nice to see rain.

1.7 since yesterday noon.....

Some dead tree limbs blown out of the trees and at least two previously wind damaged trees split and on fences.

MadRanchTX":2efngzif said:
Yup, glad the house is on top of a hill. 3 inches since 4pm yesterday and still coming down hard.

Yep house is a couple hundred feet above the creek, water get's up here better look for Noah.
See the city folks all the time build by the beautiful brook, it's so pretty. Good Friday 1999 we got 13 inches in two hours lot of those houses disappeared.
We got 1/2 inch last night the main line is about an hour away.

weve had a tad over 3 inches of rain since last nite.an they say we can get more.our pools are nice an full now.an theres water standing in the pastures.the cows are out grazing.

I may be cold hearted, I have no compassion for people that build in flood planes and they expect tax payers to foot the bill for their stupity. They expect the county, state, or federal gov. to reroute the flood plane for them, the houses that burned in Bastrop were all built in a fire tenderbox and they would want to fight evertime the utilites co. wanted to trim the right of ways, now they are sueing the utilies for their stupity for building in a tenderbox. :roll:

cowboy43":3k28jon6 said:
I may be cold hearted, I have no compassion for people that build in flood planes and they expect tax payers to foot the bill for their stupity. They expect the county, state, or federal gov. to reroute the flood plane for them, the houses that burned in Bastrop were all built in a fire tenderbox and they would want to fight evertime the utilites co. wanted to trim the right of ways, now they are sueing the utilies for their stupity for building in a tenderbox. :roll:
Never heard of rerouting a 100 year flood plain. Flood insurance is available and required if the home is financed. Those that can't probably pay cash should be able to pay cash to replace it if it washes away.

Austin is now doing a 50 million dollar 100 year flood project . They are boring a 22 ft diameter underground tunnel over 5000 ft to drain water from Waller creek into Town Lake. Tax money.

cowboy43":3c92nzf3 said:
Austin is now doing a 50 million dollar 100 year flood project . They are boring a 22 ft diameter underground tunnel over 5000 ft to drain water from Waller creek into Town Lake. Tax money.
Maybe the water can be better utilized by transferring it to the lake especially looking at all the lake levels from last summer. Won't change the flood plain tho.

Personally, I assign more blame to real estate developers than clueless homeowners.

jack1234":25rjlr5v said:
Personally, I assign more blame to real estate developers than clueless homeowners.

Why it's no different going to the salebarn buyer beware.
Need to do your homework before you sign the check.
An old marsh that used to be one of my favorite duck hunting spots was filled in and 1/2 million dollar homes built
Ike got a lot them, they knew the danger but had to be right there on the beautiful bay. If they didn't know the danger they should have to done some research.

The problem with flood insurance is the insurance companies wouldn't sell it, that's why the government steped in.
It is no different if they refused to sell earthquake or windstorm insurance. The insurance companies ran the numbers the majority of the US population lives within 100 miles of the coast.

Where do you draw the line they can't build where it floods, so you can't build where you have tornadoe's, earthquakes, tidal wave's volcano's etc.

Around here I've heard they are re-establishing the 100yr flood plains b/c when it was done last, they ran out of time/money and decided to just guess. Lots of times they guessed wrong.

Reminds me of when i was 9 years old and some old timer that i would think would know better built right on the other side of my grandmothers pasture, where it flooded every spring.

Lawson Farms":2pf7hlho said:
Around here I've heard they are re-establishing the 100yr flood plains b/c when it was done last, they ran out of time/money and decided to just guess. Lots of times they guessed wrong.

When you have a couple "hundred year floods" in less than 10 years, you have to wonder.

Latest posts