Crazy Donkey

Help Support CattleToday:

Earl Thigpen

Reaction score
I worked cattle this weekend and my donkey came into the pen with the cattle. When my help arrived they tied their horses to the outside of the corral. We were busy vaccinating, branding and cutting so didn't pay too much attention to the donkey and the horses except every once and a while we would look over to see the donkey going nuts at the horses. The horses were geldings, by the way.

As luck would have it I had one old cow who refused to go into the crowding pen so (I'll call him Tom) got on his horse and rode into the pen and roped the cow. The donkey seized the opportunity (and the horses rump) trying to get amorous. Tom, with cow on the rope and donkey on the horse, was having a difficult time (no kidding).

Well, Tom passed the rope to me, I fed it through the chute and tied it off and Tom got down off the horse to come help. This is when everything went downhill. The donkey changed his focus to Tom. Tom, who was not necessarily in the same mood as the donkey, hit the fence - with donkey firmly attached. I came around the gate and tried to get the donkey off Tom. I hit the donkey with the hot shot to no avail. I then hit the donkey with the hot shot (really hit him) and broke the wand which came back and hit me in the forehead.

Between the blood running down my face and the tears in my eyes from laughing so hard the donkey finally gave up and went to lay down. I don't know if he lit a cigarette or not but my wife finally agreed with me that I really need to get the donkey a jenny. Wish I had filmed this.

Yes. You need a jenny. Sounds like that guy is really in a bad way. I had a two year old jack with no amorous experience who really seemed to have this thing for a gelded donk I had in another pasture. In fact, he would ignore the jenny in heat I had with him in the same pasture to stand at the fence over by the gelding. We thought he was gay for the longest. He finally got the hang of what he was doing and has produced one offspring with two on the way. The only reason I know they are his is because he's the only spotted jack I have. Otherwise, I would have my doubts. We have spent several evenings, I am sorry to say, watching Gus try to "do his duty" and earn his keep with the ladies, much, I think, to their disappointment. Bad aim. :roll: :oops: Pretty humorous.

Sorry about your friend, your hotshot and your wounds. Great story, though.

That sucker would have had a rope around his a$$ and been castrated immediately if I were you. I dont know why anyone would keep something as worthless as a donkey around anyway.

Cow_Town":1hjll5pj said:
That sucker would have had a rope around his a$$ and been castrated immediately if I were you. I dont know why anyone would keep something as worthless as a donkey around anyway.

Been asking myself the same question.

Cow_Town":3nepkiep said:

I think my husband would agree with you there. I love my miniature donkeys, though. :heart:

LMAO.... I'm sorry for the injuries... Both physical and mental :D But that is one funny story Earl...
Must be the phase of the moon... I went riding with a friend yesterday, who had just bought two mules the day before... Off loading them out of the horse trailer, one of them was okay, but the other one went berserk.... It Kicked out a few of the wooden rails in the holding pen and went up on top of one of the metal horse panels and bent the heck out of it....
This friend of mine hopes that he can get at least half of what he paid for them..... Soon!!!!

Lammie":3i0i1fpp said:
We have spent several evenings, I am sorry to say, watching Gus try to "do his duty" and earn his keep with the ladies, much, I think, to their disappointment. Bad aim. :roll: :oops: Pretty humorous.

That'll happen with too much beer too.
The bad aim thing might get ya slapped!

:lol: :lol:

We have a gelded male donkey that on occasion tries that on a ewe sheep. We do get after him, but otherwise overlook it, he is valuable in other ways. He is a good guard donkey with cattle, sheep, and other livestock. He keeps coyotes and other predators, away, he also, rounds up cattle when we need cattle moved to pastures and the barn. All I do, is call his name, give him the command, bring'em in. He gets behind them, he gets them in a herd group and drives them in. Better than any sheep dog or cattle dog, I have ever seen. He doesn't need any special feed, eats same as the cattle.

mermill2":mpb4yk9m said:
We have a gelded male donkey that on occasion tries that on a ewe sheep. We do get after him, but otherwise overlook it, he is valuable in other ways. He is a good guard donkey with cattle, sheep, and other livestock. He keeps coyotes and other predators, away, he also, rounds up cattle when we need cattle moved to pastures and the barn. All I do, is call his name, give him the command, bring'em in. He gets behind them, he gets them in a herd group and drives them in. Better than any sheep dog or cattle dog, I have ever seen. He doesn't need any special feed, eats same as the cattle.

I wanna see pictures of this " wonder " donkey. :lol:

If anyone needs a nice blue bridle for a Jack, I got one you can have on the back 40. Used to belong to an overamourous jack named "Jesse", he ruined one too many heifers and never got the chance to grow wheels.

Cow_Town":3vys4kw2 said:
mermill2":3vys4kw2 said:

I wanna see pictures of this " wonder " donkey. :lol:

Cowtown, donkeys are smarter than a dog. I guess they just let their, uh, feelings, get the better of them. And it is, although just as bad, slightly more inconvenient for a donkey to hump one's leg than a retriever. Reminds me of a joke my H forwarded to me the other day that is a little too "blue" to put here.

We go to the donkey and mule shows, and they do some amazing things. I don't doubt mermill a bit.

I really enjoy sitting under the shade tree of an evening, listening to the birds and the neighbors "jazz honkey" doing his thing. Im easy to entertain though.

Latest posts