Crazy Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy-

Reaction score
Well, I finally got the old crazy cow in the trailer. Had some left over calves from last year that I waited to haul until Jan. Managed to get the crazy cow in the pen. This is the one that attacked me 5 times the last worming session. I went down Monday morning trying to figure out how I was going to separate her from the calves. I went around opened all the gates leading to the load chute and then eased across a couple pens with her watching and wanting to get to me. I eased around to her left and she bolted so fast the calves didn't have time to react. She ran through all the open gates and right into the front of the trailer where I captured her.

I got to the market and told them bad cow and you could hear them relaying it all the down the line, Bad cow, Bad cow.

I would have loved to see her come in the arena and see how she reacted to the ring man.

Well she's gone, I got more than I paid for her, and I got two calves from her.

I had two sisters like that a few years back. Not so much mean but would hit a woven wire fence at full speed. Just about tore up a lot trying to get them loaded. I bounced them off the front of the trailer a couple times on the way to the market just for good measure.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find joy from knowing that those girls are on the way to lose their heads?

cfpinz

The best part is, you made without getting yourself injured.

Yeah sometimes it's a good feeling when a bad one gets hers.
But most of the time they have been good old cows, but that's the way it goes.

We had a bull out here a couple of years ago that we were keeping for someone else...one of those big ones that did nothing but keep getting bigger. He made one too many close "curious" type passes when I or my brother fed him and the cows he was with, so we decided it was time for him to go.

Van took off work one day, and somehow, with the polaris and sticks, we got him in the run and up in the trailer. Van said he raised he11 all the way to the sale...and when he stopped to unload him, the trailer just kept rocking. The kid unloading him hollered "It's a snorter!" That went all the way down the line. They didn't get into the trailer with him to tag him...just put the glue on the tag and threw it on the "Snorter."

The "Snorter" took off and ran the way they had set up the gates for him down to a pen that had a smaller, younger, yet well filled out bull who decided he felt froggy and the fight was on! Van said when they hit heads it was like a rifle shot. They tore down 2 gates and I don't know how many panels. The "Snorter" finally won his war with the younger bull, so he started after anything that was close...panels, gates, other animals, the kids working there...didn't matter.

Van didn't stay to see the "Snorter" go thru the ring 'cause he had other things he needed to do...but he sure wanted to .

Alice

We had a looney heifer that even with 6 tranq darts in her managed to destroy the trailer. The next day when she went into the ring the bidding was real slow until she flipped a ringman completely over the railll into the crowd. Bidding went nuts and we made a pretty decent profit. It was later hinted at and I suspect it may be true that someone bought her and gave her to the ringman as a gift.

dun

dun":21h3q77j said:
We had a looney heifer that even with 6 tranq darts in her managed to destroy the trailer. The next day when she went into the ring the bidding was real slow until she flipped a ringman completely over the railll into the crowd. Bidding went nuts and we made a pretty decent profit. It was later hinted at and I suspect it may be true that someone bought her and gave her to the ringman as a gift.

dun

Why would someone pay more for a bad cow?

we had a crazy cow last year.that wouldnt take her calf.so we was sorting calves to sale.an sge was in there.so we thought oh well leave her in the corral.an we will try to get to take her calf.very big misstake.she put my brother an cattle hauler both yop of the pipe fence.she was snorting an hitting the fence.finally got the calves loaded.but brother forgot to shut the ally an loading chute gate.that old cow blew out of the pen as fast as she could.ran around the back of the dairy,can out of there running full blast.jumped over an through a new fence.ran down road in an open gate.an passed the cattle hauler as he was coming out of the pasture.

Horticattleman":6zv2hqxe said:
dun":6zv2hqxe said:

dun

Why would someone pay more for a bad cow?

Thrills, chills and excitement? :shock:

Seriously, I've seen it happen more than once at the sales here. Everybody gets to laughing and hurrahing and before ya' know it, the price is up higher than the lousy thing could ever be worth on it's best day.

Alice

I had a heifer that was so wound up she wouldn't breed. (guessing) So, she went down the road. At the sale barn she was a pinball on every chute and gate.

when i went to pick up my check, the sale barn owner saw me and said - i can see why you got rid of that heifer.

I asked if she was bred and he said no. How'd she do?

He said ok, but they generally don't go for very much when they jump out of the ring.

I smiled and said I'd love to have seen that! He said that she didn't actually make it out, but came close a couple of times.

Dusty Britches":2fxpil47 said:
I had a heifer that was so wound up she wouldn't breed. (guessing) So, she went down the road. At the sale barn she was a pinball on every chute and gate.

when i went to pick up my check, the sale barn owner saw me and said - i can see why you got rid of that heifer.

I asked if she was bred and he said no. How'd she do?

He said ok, but they generally don't go for very much when they jump out of the ring.

I smiled and said I'd love to have seen that! He said that she didn't actually make it out, but came close a couple of times.

Dusty I was at a register cow sale, were an old cow did the same thing. Took the auctioneer one time, she almost made it out of the ring and he said boys run her thru and the bidding started with her not in the ring.
Some old fart bought her to breed. I would say he is up a tree right now looking down on her.

MD

We had a steer that was so crazy he had to be roped and dragged into the trailer. Check came from the sale barn with a note that said "steer went crazy, died in pen". Their insurance paid for him but we always wondered if he got some help so they didn't have to mess with him any longer. Can't say I would blame them if they did. He had a serious screw loose.

LaneFarms":3r1qag09 said:
Which market did you take her to. I ahve a couple of cull cows that need to go.

I took her to Ocala. I wanted everyone to know she would catch you. I would hate for someone to buy her just because she looked good.

I could have just left her out in the field but she would start a stampede when I tried to get her group up to work. She would always blast off and the others wanted to follow. I have one more to put wheels under in that group. She has only been wormed about once every two years because I can't get her up and my horses are not ready yet for that. She stays in pretty good shape though. She gives me a calf every year so I just let her hang out. She has never tried to catch me like the one I hauled but she will tear down stuff to get away from me.

I sold a bug-eyed Hereford bull for rodeo stock a few years back. Last I heard, he was making the owner a lot of money. Better him than me.

I also head a story about a Brahma bull jumping out of the local stockyard's sale ring, running up the stairs between the seats, jumping out of the window and landing on a Toyota. They got him rounded up and back into the pen, and he sold that day.

Had a crazy cow one time that would run you to the fence but would stop at the fence and paw and snort. Neighbor came by and wanted to buy her to keep trespassers off his property. He took her home and said it solved his problem. Kept her till she died said she was the best guard cow he ever saw. :lol:

llcupit":38cdg4jf said:
Had a crazy cow one time that would run you to the fence but would stop at the fence and paw and snort. Neighbor came by and wanted to buy her to keep trespassers off his property. He took her home and said it solved his problem. Kept her till she died said she was the best guard cow he ever saw. :lol:

Now thats funny there

llcupit":3ub1uynm said:

We had a cow that alwasy was looking for a scratch. We had problems with pheasent hunters climbing the fence in the front roadside pasture to wack a few birds. I put that cow down there and the first time somebody came over the fence she went racing over to them bellering and carring on. They left some cloth on the fences as they left. As long as I kept her up front we never had another problem with trespassers.

dun

Latest posts