Crazy Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

John Wayne

Reaction score
Any body ever have a bull that only acts up around them and acts OK toward every body else?, This guy will go after this breeding season, but I dont know if I should sell him to another breeder or hall to the sale barn. I'm the only one he acts nuts around prob because I dont let him see I'm intimidated by him. Every time I go to feed he false charges, paws at the ground. Puts his head and shoulder on the hay bales and pushes it under the fence, runs around bucking. If I'm working on the fence or shelter he comes up puts his head on my thigh and pushes. If I ignore him he keeps doing it. i dont want to push back because I know where that would lead. Guess I already know the answer just venting I guess. My wife or FIL can feed and he acts like a kitty cat but not me.

John Wayne":vbjs90vl said:
If I'm working on the fence or shelter he comes up puts his head on my thigh and pushes. If I ignore him he keeps doing it. i dont want to push back because I know where that would lead.
Why are you letting him that close? Club him!

haul him to the sale an put him in the kill pen.an bull that pushes on charges an paws the ground around you has to go.one day he will end up getting you down.an that could result in you getting hurt or killed.an no bull is worth that.

John Wayne":2hwq1p2z said:
Any body ever have a bull that only acts up around them and acts OK toward every body else?, This guy will go after this breeding season, but I dont know if I should sell him to another breeder or hall to the sale barn. I'm the only one he acts nuts around prob because I dont let him see I'm intimidated by him. Every time I go to feed he false charges, paws at the ground. Puts his head and shoulder on the hay bales and pushes it under the fence, runs around bucking. If I'm working on the fence or shelter he comes up puts his head on my thigh and pushes. If I ignore him he keeps doing it. i dont want to push back because I know where that would lead. Guess I already know the answer just venting I guess. My wife or FIL can feed and he acts like a kitty cat but not me.
sounds like he can get away with foolishness with you. you go too work on that nose with a axe handle. before he relocates some bones.

I can't believe John Wayne would take that kind of crap from anybody, or anything. Kick his A$$, before he kills you.

You see this is ,what all of us were talking about. I can't believe you don't know what should be done with this bull. Aw he's not that bad,he likes other people....BS come on
The very first time this bull messed with you. YOU should have whacked the crap out of him.

Avalon":3h21xnn0 said:
onecowfarms":3h21xnn0 said:
sounds like he just wants to play he's whats to be your buddy !
YUP! Sounds to me like he wants to play with you. Kind of like the hay bale.
It might be interesting to check with a few Insurance Companies to see what their "experience costs" have been paying for damage or death benefits to families of bull owners who let their bull's become "friends" with them, and who did not interject a little disclipline on their bull at the very first opportunity - or - warning!

It sounds to me as if you are practicing Dr. Benjamin Spock's assinine protocols of raising children in the 50's and 60's! Let the little darlings do what ever they want because you will ". . .damage their self-esteem and destroy their little ego's!" You had better 'damage' that bull's aggressiveness before he destroys you - or perhaps your wife or kids! Never play games with an aggressive bull! That's like 'teasing a Tiger!'

DOC HARRIS

Forgive my bluntness, but you need to have your head examined for letting you wife feed this bull when he has exhibited aggressive, life threatening behavior towards you. Bulls play rough and when their playmate is a man, the man loses. I wouldn't need to go to a discussion board to ask what to do with an aggressive bull. Bust his nose with a 2x4 and if he is learning disabled, haul him to the sale to be killed and EATEN!

He either needs a good woman or a sale barn. If you don,t do either, feed him from the other side of the fence untill you finish with him. Ever herd of a bull pen? They are not just for baseball.

I just can't understand why after he shows such aggression, you get close enough to let him push on your hips and legs. 2 different sets of two word phrases.....axe handle .... sale barn. If not I can see you "mysteriously" disappearing from these boards.

You might not want to hear this, but YOU are intimidated by your bull and HE knows it! That bull needs some manners TODAY. A bull's nose is pretty tender, that is usually the best place to start when teaching respect. You will have to sell him now or later because when most bulls get like yours, they NEVER can be trusted. If you choose to teach him respect, you probably need to have someone cattle capable around to help during the lessons so you if come out the loser.

Had a bull that would paw the ground, snort and act like he was going to charge. Business end of a pitchfork took care of that. Hauled him to the sale barn.
Do the same and forget him.

Thanks to you all for your replies. I guess the question will go unanswered. Appalach I didn't say I wasn't intimidated said I didn't let him see it. I'm quite capable and I won't be the loser.

Nova he is in a bull run 1/4 acre w/ heavy cattle panels and large round post every 6 feet. Wife feeds him over the fence throws hay into a feed bunk.

Hort. C. M. I guess I let him get close to me because I raised him and it is what he has always done (get close to me that is).

J.T. I can deal with bluntness better than I can some wishy washy mealy mouthed dude. At least I know where you stand and what your position is on the matter. My wife is never in a position where she can't kill this animal or any animal or any thing else in about 1 second. To sell the bull at the sale barn or to another informed breeder is the question. He only acts this way around me and would I be selling the next guy a bad bull is my quandary.

Doc. I don't know if you are calling ME asinine or not. I'm not being his friend I'm just trying to live and let live. We don't have any kids. I also am never in a position where I can't kill this animal in less than 1 second. I don't play with him or didn't you see the part where I said I don't push back because I know where that would lead.

Joy I went back and read some of your more recent post "no" I didn't see what you were talking about. Other than to set your self apart "what all of us were talking about" as in you are a different class of individual than the rest of the world. I didn't read them all I must have missed it. What B.S I said I guessed I knew what I had to do. Said I was going to sell him. The question is to who. The very first time this guy messed with me he was 150 lbs soaking wet. What do you think I should have hit him with?

3 Way, now you I like. Good one.
Thanks again to every one glad I got to vent a little it is cathartic. Goin to get shed of him just dont know if I should let him pass on his genes or not.

ive seen post like these before and the thing that about em that gets me is.... hollor'in sell,sell,sell, that sell'in may save your life this time. what about the next bull or the next? it wont teach you herdsmanship.. this bull may be every thing you want but needs a small adjustment to clear the problem up.

ALACOW thanks for real insite, this is the first bull I'v ever kept whole for my own replacement bull. Always bought em never had one till this I thought was good enough to keep for replacment. So when I got em already growed I and they knew where we stood. This is first one from calf to working sire. Thanks again.

Well folks jumped on em a while back when i talked about disposition and liking calm bulls and bulls I can handle so i know how you feel.

I lke a quiet bull just like I like a quiet cow.

But a bull can never be a pet. too big. too powerful. too fast. too deadly. he can kill you even though he is playing with you.

I never allow a bull to touch me or to even move toward me unbidden. I will call a young bull up to feed and put his feed pan on the ground and then step back. But I will not tolerate him thinking he is in charge. I will scratch their back with a cattle stick but if they make anything percieved as a mennacing move i will whack hell out of em with same stick.

I raise angus and if I get em past two without them being froggy then they usually are good for life.

John Wayne":2a4mv1sk said:
ALACOW thanks for real insite, this is the first bull I'v ever kept whole for my own replacement bull. Always bought em never had one till this I thought was good enough to keep for replacment. So when I got em already growed I and they knew where we stood. This is first one from calf to working sire. Thanks again.
I have seen this over and over. not only with bulls but cows will do the same.
The problem starts when they are young. You have become so familiar with this animal that he treats you the way you have taught him he can. I have had bottle babies that grew up thinking they could play with me. Well I just don't go for butting heads. The first time a calf pushes me I swat them with my hat. After that if I just take my hat off they are backing off.
When you allow an animal to do something you are in fact teaching them to do it. I am willing to bet that you were the primary caretaker of that bull as he grew up. Even show cattle, as gentle as they are, are taught to respect their handler from the start.
At present I have a jersey spotter bull. Ocasionaly he will challenge me in a threatening way. Off comes the hat and I attack him. He has always turned and run. So far.

Novatech,

I hope you realize that one day that Jersey bull will show you what you can do with your hat.

Dairy bulls as a rule are by far tougher than beef bulls and very often no one sees it coming.
Of the dariy bulls the Jersey are the worst of the lot.

Odd that the lillte old tame jersey cow would be the mother of the deadliest bulls but it is a widely known fact. With jersey bulls it is not a question of will they get mean, but rather when will they get mean and will I have a chance to survive it.

Latest posts