Craigslist prize bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

That shite breaks my heart. At sale barns here most culls are in that shape. Why in the world do people wait that long to sell. They're screwing themselves and the animals all kinds of ways.
Not that it would help but I've half a mind to contact them and say something. And I'm the kind who minds my own business in general.

Dad worked for a guy when he was a teenager that would feed the cows hay, he would say "eat tell your belly bust" after feeding them. The cows would almost beat them back to the barn. Ben Roberts out on the Sweetwater here in Wyoming always said he would rather have two skinny cows than on fat one; I don't think he really knew how many cows he had. Probably 12,000 plus.

The bull I bought last March was pretty skinny, he was not skin and bone like those, but he sure didn't look like the pictures they sent me. Once I got him home he filled out nicely. I almost didn't buy him because he didn't look like the same bull, but all his markings were the same. It is a shame when they let them go that far, It makes the rest of that are trying to do things right look bad in the eyes of all those city people.

I've always heard the story around here of a producer who got up at a cattle meeting and told the group that 90% of the cows around here were too fat. When he sat down the local vet spoke up and said that "he most only get to see the other 10% then "

I've had some thin cows that didn't look like much, but not for lack of food.. This one was the one that was lame in a hind foot.. she made the whopper calves though, and her calves would milk themselves thin, but the calves sure weren't
1697911550916.png

This is her bull calf the year after raising twins... I had 3 bull calves I kept intact that year and it was a really hard choice between them.. this guy was the biggest and longest
1697911908568.png
I have high hopes for her granddaughter 1697911627464.png

Last edited:
I've had some thin cows that didn't look like much, but not for lack of food.. This one was the one that was lame in a hind foot.. she made the whopper calves though, and her calves would milk themselves thin, but the calves sure weren't
View attachment 36159

This is her bull calf the year after raising twins... I had 3 bull calves I kept intact that year and it was a really hard choice between them.. this guy was the biggest and longest
View attachment 36161
I have high hopes for her granddaughter View attachment 36160
Nothing wrong with those animals. If that cow's thin then it's just barely thin.

View attachment 36159

View attachment 36161
I have high hopes for her granddaughter View attachment 36160
Doing her job ! Not from a lack of groceries. Probably got some age on her . I'd take a pasture full like her .

Latest posts