Craigslist bull

Help Support CattleToday:

looks better than some bulls I've seen posted. At least he looks like the breed they are claiming him to be.

Bull looks like a good one to me.

It's his ridiculous written ad that is lame. What is accredited and certified?

If he is a bull of a lifetime, why is he selling him? So much BS these days.

Good looking bull but for 5 grand he better move heaven and earth. I look at $3500 is average for a good bull and when you start getting around $4500 is average for a very very good bull and $5000 to me means a special bull that you don't see everyday. Again good bull but don't know if he is "special".

not taking away from this bull, he's nice...but some breeders use their bulls that were looked over, and didnt sell private treaty for clean up....

Check out the adverage price of bulls sold through Alabama BCIA sales at [urlhttp://www.albcia.com/newsletters/Alabama%20BCIA%20February%202013%20Newsletter.pdf][/url] a little over 3200 average paid for young unproven bulls. 5000 isn't an unreasonable price for a young proven bull. The bull is 50% of your calf crop if you plan to make money on your calf crop a really good bull will pay for himself.

Gizmom

I wouldn't describe those accuracy numbers as proven. With that low of an accuracy you are taking the same chance as with a virgin bull you are just paying allot more for it. I also prefer virgin bulls myself. For this user's $5000.00 bull go to one of those BCIA sales and buy 2 bulls for $3200.00 a piece keep the best one and sell the other for $5000.00 and call it proven. Again not trashing the guys bull just too expensive.

I went back and read the ad and something doesn't ring true to me. He says that each year they select a yearling bull for clean up. This was the bull they selected in 2012. Then he says that the bull weighed over 2000 pounds in November after running with the cows all year. I am not buying that a "yearling" in the spring weighs over 2000 in the fall.

Dave":cpebq9js said:
I went back and read the ad and something doesn't ring true to me. He says that each year they select a yearling bull for clean up. This was the bull they selected in 2012. Then he says that the bull weighed over 2000 pounds in November after running with the cows all year. I am not buying that a "yearling" in the spring weighs over 2000 in the fall.
did you notice the ""breeder"" and ""owner"" on the papers

Dave":2y95y711 said:

He was born in Feb 2010. He would have been almost 3 in Nov 2012. That is still an impressive growth rate. Not saying it is impossible he is one month younger than a bull I sold to Nebraska last year. That bull weighs right at 2200lbs now and he was Fall bred this year

AF,
"Accredited" and "certified" means that they have their herd enrolled federal programs, yearly testing all test-eligible animals for brucellosis and tuberculosis. If your herd is brucellosis-free, it's considered 'accredited', if TB free, it's 'certified' - at least, as far as USDA/APHIS and your state veterinarian's office are concerned.

I'm surprised that this bull generated so many responses. Just for the record I do not know this breeder. I liked the bull........I don't think I liked him $5,000 worth but I wouldn't kick him out of my pasture :cboy: I just wanted to show that not all craigslist bulls are junk. You can tell that this one has some breeding behind him.

Ok I have an idea in my head but am curious to what you guys think. What do you expect from a bull when factoring in the price and what difference do you expect when you go up in price? And I know a bull is worth what ever somene is willing to bid or pay that day but I am talking in general. What do you expect from a $3500 bull and what would you expect different from a $5000 bull? For example do you expect the weaning weights to be close to the same but the 5K bull to have allot more calving ease? And what do you expect from a $7500 bull that is different from a $5000 bull? For example do you expect to be able to produce more replacement bulls? And finally what difference do you expect from a $10,000 bull than from a $7500 bull? The ability to sell semen? Just curious to what you guys think and to see if it is close to what I have in my mind/

Latest posts