Cracked toe on front hoof

Help Support CattleToday:

Tep

Reaction score
I had a cow that can barely walk, so we brought her home and discovered her right front hoof has a crack on the outside toe. It goes from the bottom all the way to the top. She trys not to put weight on it. I gave her 40cc's of biomyacin on Saturday and poured iodine on the crack. Sunday Iodine and today too. Anything else I can do? The vet said we might have to amputate her toe, yuck. Never heard of that. She has her calf with her and they seem very content in the pen. Should I give her more bio? When? Thanks!

There is a boot sort of deal that can be put on a bad foot, I've heard of it being done but never have seen it.

You have to try and let the hoof grow out without continuing to crack up. I hauled a cow to A & M and the "laced" a small wire over the crack to hold it together until the hoof had time to grow out. Worked well, but obviously took some time. I had someone suggest wood cement once also, but I've never been brave enough to try it.

I'd keep her penned regardless so she doesn't get so lame out in pasture you can't get her up. I've never heard of amputating a toe.. personally that seems pretty extreme.

Feet problems may never go away. Like others have said, keep her penned up so that you have access to her. Go to your local retailer that sales horse supplies. They have some products that will help with cracked feet, however your cow may be an extreme situation. You may want to consider early weaning the calf, and selling the cow. Tough approach, but again feet problems have a way of never fully going away.

I agree with you. It is up to the producer, and the amount of time he/she is willing to spend on one animal. Like everything else...every situation is different.

Not at all. Dickson County. Have been with extension for a long 1.5 years! I really enjoy it. I get to learn everyday...and don't even have to pay for it!

Many years ago, a solution for crackes that extended all the way to the coronary band was to drill a hole in the crack as high as you could. The hole had to extend as deep as the crack and about twice as wide as the crack. The lower part would keep cracking but the upper part would heal as it grew from the top down. Same principle as fstopping a crack in a pice of cast iron/aluminum excpet the metal won;t heal

I've heard of amputating one claw, or removing the outer hoof and leaving the bones of the hoof... the hoof wall will grow back over time. Never seen it done but I've heard it talked about and have seen pictures. Looks like a mess and the potential for infection is huge.

In your shoes... first thing I'd do is talk to a professional hoof trimmer that really knows his stuff, let him trim her feet and get his opinion. Talk to the dairies and find someone who has seen everything and knows what works and what doesn't. In my experience, someone who specializes in one area for years often knows more about the subject than a vet does. I've watched my trimmer take some really lame cows -- and one that I owned with a crack and abcess about half way up the hoof -- and make them sound again. Usually on hoof problems, you're best off going right to the area and treating the hoof itself, rather than trying to treat the cow systemically.

Just sell the cow after she weans her calf.Cows w/problems don't make much money.

Latest posts