coyottes moving in

Help Support CattleToday:

You guys are kidding right. I have had a coyote 10 feet away from me . Saw one snach a small dog and another time a cat away from their owners one just feet away from the owner. Here in Temecula Ca. They are very smart. I walk the pasture and a pack will surround me about 30 yards away to see if I have a small dog with me. If I don't they will leave. I always carry a stick.
The city has taken most of their habitat away.

Some tree hugger must have thought it a good idea to raise a deer on a bottle. Then he got old. Then he went into the rut and he had been turned loose. That deer had no fear of humans and would have killed me had it not been for a clump of cedar trees. First time I had ever seen a deer attack human beings. Then I heard the stories from others. Someone who raises a buck deer on a bottle is raising a killer. When a child or someone gets killed, the bottle feeder ought to be strung up. Human intervention is a problem here too.

Coyotes around here have never been a problem that I know of. They won't get within 100 yards of you and if they do they are running with their tails tucked. I suspect something is awry with coyotes you are describing. Why would an animal take that kind of chance? Why would they associate humans with food? Someone has probably been feeding them or something. Maybe even a few generations back and their young were taught humans have food.

Walter you need to put down that stick and pick up an iron and shoot some lead into them. Best to rid yourself of that problem before the adults there teach the pups the same thing. Its no fault of yours. Someone fed them and caused this situation. Its best that humans let Ma Nature take care of the critters.

I don't think they associate humans with food, They associate the small dogs and cats for food source. When I moved to Temecula 20 years ago we had 5000 people. mostly horse ranches. Now we have over 200,000 people housing tract all over. The coyotes have been push around fast in a short period of time. If i could pack lead i would but now they have incorporated into a city. YOU got it! Time to MOVE. House up for sale then we are relocating to west Kentucky. Somewhere around Murray.

Walter":3lrp9f4l said:
I don't think they associate humans with food, They associate the small dogs and cats for food source. When I moved to Temecula 20 years ago we had 5000 people. mostly horse ranches. Now we have over 200,000 people housing tract all over. The coyotes have been push around fast in a short period of time. If i could pack lead i would but now they have incorporated into a city. YOU got it! Time to MOVE. House up for sale then we are relocating to west Kentucky. Somewhere around Murray.

They like little dogs and kitty's in the country too.
A coyote is an opportunist and thats an easy meal.

backhoeboogie":zj5xap3a said:
Some tree hugger must have thought it a good idea to raise a deer on a bottle. Then he got old. Then he went into the rut and he had been turned loose. That deer had no fear of humans and would have killed me had it not been for a clump of cedar trees. First time I had ever seen a deer attack human beings. Then I heard the stories from others. Someone who raises a buck deer on a bottle is raising a killer. When a child or someone gets killed, the bottle feeder ought to be strung up. Human intervention is a problem here too.

I think you are right on backhoe, I just read an article that some ag professor wrote on bottle calves. Everyone thinks high number of dairy bull attacks are because the holtstein breed, or jersey breed is naturally more aggressive. The prof say's it is because the animals "imprint" that you are one of them because you bottle feed them. When they grow up they display their natural tendencies for aggression on humans instead of cattle.

Same with deer, he quoted a death rate of 15 people per year in the U.S. from deer attacks. He didn's say they were all bottle raised but suspected that many were.( I am sure we have all seen those hilarious videos :lol: ).

Been talking to some folks around here and the coyotes are more of a problem than I thought. Very difficult to keep sheep around here without large predation losses and they have pretty much run white tails off. I guess I better get a little more proactive with them. Before the tree huggers make another law.

Coyote season is always open in Kentucky, but I don't bother with them.. Like a few others have mentioned, I like hearing them carry on at night, and I don't view them as a threat.. :)

We had a little terrier dog that showed up on our porch last summer, and she'd obviously been fending for herself for a while... We kept her, and were all sitting on the front porch one night when the yotes got to yipping and howling.. That little dog immediately jumped up in my GF's lap, put her nose into the wind, laid her ears back, and started growling and bearing teeth at the sounds.. She clearly knew exactly what they were, and was determined not to let them get her new humans.. :D She was fresh off a litter when she found us, and I wonder if the yotes didn't get her pups.. :(

Our other two dogs just run around and act stupid when they hear them, like "hey, what's that noise??!?" :D

AngusLimoX":1jwsaziu said:
Same with deer, he quoted a death rate of 15 people per year in the U.S. from deer attacks. He didn's say they were all bottle raised but suspected that many were.( I am sure we have all seen those hilarious videos :lol: ).

Yeah well, when that buck was on my backside with his ears laid back and growling like a dog, I wasn't laughing. I was tearing through the middle of cedar breaks, downhill, crashing into boulders and occasional mesquites. I haven't moved like that in years. When it was "over" I wasn't sure where the deer was, wasn't sure where I was, and was pretty much scared to move. I eventually found a creek, found a mark on a knob, got my bearings and got to a road. I was sweating something awful, my heart was pounding so hard I was scared it was going to burst, my throat felt like it was on fire from coughing my head off. I had scratches all in me from crashing through the cedars so blood was in my eyes and all over me. Sweat was filling all the cuts and scrapes and it burned like the dickens too. Going down that road I found a water hole so I stripped everything off and washed myself. I pulled mesquite thorns out where I could reach them. (some were broke off in my back)

The land owner and several of us went back after that deer. We never found him. Its been about 6 years back. I was 40 years old at the time.

This happened a few miles west of Tolar, Hood County, TX. I was in a 1400 acre place and had just cut about a quarter mile of new road. I had parked the hoe about 1/2 mile from my truck and was about half way back to the truck when this happened. Anytime I was on that place from then on I was packing.

AngusLimoX":96uylx3g said:
I just read an article that some ag professor wrote on bottle calves. Everyone thinks high number of dairy bull attacks are because the holtstein breed, or jersey breed is naturally more aggressive. The prof say's it is because the animals "imprint" that you are one of them because you bottle feed them. When they grow up they display their natural tendencies for aggression on humans instead of cattle.

Then how does that explain that oxen don;t turn mean as they get older? Typically they aren;t cut till over a year of age some ait till they're two. As I understand it, in Australia a lot of them are left intact their entire lives

dun

dun":1irwybni said:
AngusLimoX":1irwybni said:
I just read an article that some ag professor wrote on bottle calves. Everyone thinks high number of dairy bull attacks are because the holtstein breed, or jersey breed is naturally more aggressive. The prof say's it is because the animals "imprint" that you are one of them because you bottle feed them. When they grow up they display their natural tendencies for aggression on humans instead of cattle.

Then how does that explain that oxen don;t turn mean as they get older? Typically they aren;t cut till over a year of age some ait till they're two. As I understand it, in Australia a lot of them are left intact their entire lives

dun

I imagine it is different species, different instincts and tendencies. I don't recall him mentioning Australian oxen in the article! :lol:

I will see if I can find the article when I get back in from the barn.

AngusLimoX":2lsr3jyv said:
dun":2lsr3jyv said:
AngusLimoX":2lsr3jyv said:

dun

I imagine it is different species, different instincts and tendencies. I don't recall him mentioning Australian oxen in the article! :lol:

I will see if I can find the article when I get back in from the barn.

Oxen in the US and Canada are typically Holstein, Jersey, Milking Shorthorns, Devons, Chianina, etc. All bottle fed to keep them gentle and imprinted. The ones I've seen from AUstralia are just generic cattle much the same as is used here

dun

cmjust0 said:
Coyote season is always open in Kentucky,

i talked to DNR about them sneaking around our cows. he told me as fas as he was concerend there wasnt a seasononthem here in wv, he would only give me a ticket for every one i missed.
i'm soooooooooooo glad that the highlands will take care of them selves with these guys.. i just hope they go back to the mts and dont come back . Rose

brownmule":1vqup7f6 said:
cmjust0":1vqup7f6 said:
Coyote season is always open in Kentucky,

i talked to DNR about them sneaking around our cows. he told me as fas as he was concerend there wasnt a seasononthem here in wv, he would only give me a ticket for every one i missed.
i'm soooooooooooo glad that the highlands will take care of them selves with these guys.. i just hope they go back to the mts and dont come back . Rose

Rose, After reading about your neighbor, "As if farming wasn't hard enough," you might consider slipping over to that place and baiting them in.

I had a problem with them on one of the farms I bought a few years ago and I shot three of them and hung them from a tree in the pasture, havn't seen one in the daytime since.

backhoe, thats so funny :lol: you know i try really hard to stay out of trouble.... but now you got me thinking LOL she has a couple little dogs out side... its a good thing im a laid back gal. alot like my jack, just because i look like im alseep dont mean i cant wake up at amy time.. LOL ;-)

Rod, hanging them in trees, you know my grandfather had a problem with cows in his garden one year, he shot a crow, hung him up.. right inthe middle of corn patch, nothing botherd the garden the rest of the summer,it was lovley about mid july plowing the corn... i have seen that work first hand with crows LOL Rose

When I was at the vet's last week, he had an old ranch dog in the pens with the entire side of his neck opened up.. you could see neck bones and trachea. It was nasty.. said the dog had run off and the ranch hand found him being mauled by a pack of yotes. The dog was about 25-30 lbs.

Walter":1g90wyy6 said:
You guys are kidding right. I have had a coyote 10 feet away from me . Saw one snach a small dog and another time a cat away from their owners one just feet away from the owner. Here in Temecula Ca. They are very smart. I walk the pasture and a pack will surround me about 30 yards away to see if I have a small dog with me. If I don't they will leave. I always carry a stick.

Big stick??? This is in DAYLIGHT??? Heck when they get so aggressive that I am encircled, a semiautomatic rifle would be what I carry. If they are that aggressive I would put some fear of ME back into them. You can't kill them all; but you don't know, you might be saving some poor little kid's life by teaching the survivors to back off people.

Brandonm2":17tdkejh said:
Walter":17tdkejh said:

Big stick??? This is in DAYLIGHT??? Heck when they get so aggressive that I am encircled, a semiautomatic rifle would be what I carry. If they are that aggressive I would put some fear of ME back into them. You can't kill them all; but you don't know, you might be saving some poor little kid's life by teaching the survivors to back off people.

What did expect from Ca. I was begining to think you were kinda sharp like a double bit axe back to the grindstone. I don't hate yotes, but they aint going to stand and growl either, good pack of Walkers will put the fear of God in them.

Latest posts