IMG_5511.JPG

IMAG00291.jpg

IMAG0365-1.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

Shorthorn bull
IMAG0456.jpg

Calf and I
IMAG0216.jpg

Calf I pulled this past spring. It was a tough pull - had to use the long sleeves on that shirt as a rope - 89lb heifer calf.
IMAG0193.jpg

Reminds me of playing little league baseball and all the infielders chanting, "hey batter batter." There's only one way to shut em up.

Massey135":fordd8d5 said:
Reminds me of playing little league baseball and all the infielders chanting, "hey batter batter." There's only one way to shut em up.
Yeah......STRIKE OUT

Your replacement heifers looks a nice group, really like the heifer in the second last pic in the first post. Overall not to impressed with type and don't think the bulls you are using is what your cows need.

KNERSIE":3qkuvsft said:
Your replacement heifers looks a nice group, really like the heifer in the second last pic in the first post. Overall not to impressed with type and don't think the bulls you are using is what your cows need.
Obviously I respect your opinion, I've made note of that many times in the past. From looking at your cattle, I think its clear I prefer a little more angular type female as my grass can support it. If you would, or anyone else for that matter, please elaborate on your type concerns - both with the cows and bull selection. Genetically, both these bulls come from as maternal a background as the breed offers. I have one goal w/ my cattle and that is to produce an extremely maternal yet functional herd of cows. I will post more picks of the heifer you liked as well as her 4 other of her 3/4 sisters.

Would like to see a pic of heifer that was clipped with head up. What bulls are you using? I like them good functional heard!

Obviously I respect your opinion, I've made note of that many times in the past. From looking at your cattle, I think its clear I prefer a little more angular type female as my grass can support it.

Remember its not so much what your grass can support, but rather what your future customers' grass can support. You have a more angular cow herd that is why you should use a more beefy, higher volume bull to offset that.

If you would, or anyone else for that matter, please elaborate on your type concerns - both with the cows and bull selection.

Even though we breed British breeds and the focus should never stray from maternal quality, we also need our cattle to be good beef allrounders otherwise we'll limit our future market.

Genetically, both these bulls come from as maternal a background as the breed offers. I have one goal w/ my cattle and that is to produce an extremely maternal yet functional herd of cows.

Maternal quality is a whole lot more than simply milking ability or the ability to raise a good calf. Its about raising a good calf every year, in good years and in bad years, maintaining herself on minimal inputs in the process and continuing doing so for a very long time. It goes even further, if someone buys a bull from you you need to be sure that bull will leave daughters like that in his new owner's herd regardless of what type cows the bull buyer had.

In short add width from end to end, beef them up a touch more, but make sure it's a long, soft, high yielding muscle. Add volume while maintaining breed character. Don't get overexcited when breeding for carcass traits and above all, avoid extremes!

I will post more picks of the heifer you liked as well as her 4 other of her 3/4 sisters.

She's a good'n, would like to see more of her.

You've got a very good start, you've got knowledge and you've got a plan, that is more than most can say. Visit a few commercial operations and try and identify weaknesses in their herds as far as type goes, then adapt your breeding program to address those weaknesses in your herd so that your bulls can address it in theirs.

Nice group of heifers. It does look like you're leaning heavily towards 'dual-purpose' type - if you told me they were milking shorthorn I'd believe it.

So do you keep a piece of rope in your belt loops now when they're close to calving?

Here's another pic of the 3/4 sisters. These cattle are far from what is considered dual purpose within the shorthorn breed. I prefer a more feminine type than some I will say tho. Have many more pics but not that are on my phone.

IMAG0372-1.jpg

Roan":1kqiz5m8 said:
Would like to see a pic of heifer that was clipped with head up. What bulls are you using? I like them good functional heard!

Thanks, I've worked really hard for them and they consume pretty much all my spare time. The top bull is a Dover son and the roan bull is a Saskvalley Bonanza son. I am especially proud of the top bull as I've breed him to those top replacement heifers. He's top 1% for the breed as far as CE.

Massey135":1zt5wvft said:
Here's another pic of the 3/4 sisters. These cattle are far from what is considered dual purpose within the shorthorn breed. I prefer a more feminine type than some I will say tho. Have many more pics but not that are on my phone.

IMAG0372-1.jpg

Nice girls. I like em better than the older cows in general. I also agree with Knersie on where you should go with the bull!

I don't think they look dual purpose though.

Here's a bull I plan on using this next January: a Muridale Buster 14k son
IMAG0293.jpg

I think he will certainly add some base width and overall beefiness.

Massey135":2e1alrph said:
Here's a bull I plan on using this next January: a Muridale Buster 14k son
IMAG0293.jpg

I think he will certainly add some base width and overall beefiness.

I like the crap outa Buster. He makes me want to raise Shorties

How long do you think it would take a poor know nothing like myself to be able to buy some of them fancy heifers? Could I pay em out on $5 a week? That way I could still feed my kids. I could maybe go $8 a week now that the running water got cut off.

Isomade":3inlmqvr said:
How long do you think it would take a poor know nothing like myself to be able to buy some of them fancy heifers? Could I pay em out on $5 a week? That way I could still feed my kids. I could maybe go $8 a week now that the running water got cut off.
Comparables can be found from 2-3 grand. I can provide you w/ a few sources if you'd like? The legendary Haumont herd in Nebraska currently has several very nice yearling heifers for sale too. One son is liquidating his half of the herd I hear. I hope to pick out at least one of them.

Latest posts